Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Time to go, are your ready? A thread for the Prep Folk

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by FyreFighter View Post
    Your IFAK seems more like a trauma kit. Hemostats, bandages and tourniquets have more uses and do everything a clotting agent would do - not as well, but much more versatile.

A sucking chest wound is relatively low on the likelihood of expected threats...and if its gotten *that* bad, you're not getting to a hospital anyway
    It is a trauma kit ! I only do what i was trained for and it mostly revolve around truma management and sadly I haven't had the time to take civilian 1st aid classes.

And I know how this is going to sound but to me it was made pretty clear in the last few weeks (years?) that you shouldn't depend on any kind of state agency to ensure your safety. I'd rather be that kooky guy with the trauma kit in his car than the guy bleeding out in his car...

I try to be as prepped as much as possible. I take my pack with me when I leave home.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Wallenstein's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FyreFighter View Post
    Again, are you bugging out in Canada or Syria?

A sucking chest wound is relatively low on the likelihood of expected threats...and if its gotten *that* bad, you're not getting to a hospital anyway
    The Israeli Bleed out bandages are useful for hunting and other outdoor activities, too.

Add a Tourniquet and a Skin Stapler or Super Glue.

Good for EDC, Hunting, Hiking, 72 hour, etc. Bags.

Just like any insurance policy you have it not because you want to use it, but because something forces you to.

You guys are going down the rabbit hole, and getting into too many "what ifs" The original question was bug out bags. Most of us will end up in a shelter with hundreds of others waiting for assistance. Quebec floods , McMurray fires etc, the canadian red cross lists the contents of their bug out bags on their sight and 9-10 thats what youll need , especially if you are moving with family, Believe me, you will need help, we are not all "lone wolfs", They do this all the time all over the world. Take a look here
    https://products.redcross.ca/categor...eparedness-kit
    cooner
    CCFR,CSSA,OFAH,DELTA,WTF!

CGN frequent flyer
    So I posted in another thread about being prepared to bug out early on in this crisis and what I'd need and the main responses came down to

"If you think you'll be bugging out in my area think twice"
    "Take our resources and watch what happens"

So in the event of a scenario where its so bad you have to actually bug out be prepared to understand you'll encounter angry country folk who won't want you bugging out to their area regardless of what the situation is.
    Now I've been planning my gear for several years and this hadn't even crossed my mind....

BANNED
    I believe in prepping for the events that you are likely to encounter and to be able to treat. I don't think the odds are that you'll be encounter a sucking chest wound and to be able to get to a hospital to survive it while facing a bug out situation is relatively low.

If you're out hunting in a group or in a busy WMU during normal times, the odds of that injury goes way up so it makes sense to prep for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ershwin View Post
    It is a trauma kit ! I only do what i was trained for and it mostly revolve around truma management and sadly I haven't had the time to take civilian 1st aid classes.

And I know how this is going to sound but to me it was made pretty clear in the last few weeks (years?) that you shouldn't depend on any kind of state agency to ensure your safety. I'd rather be that kooky guy with the trauma kit in his car than the guy bleeding out in his car...

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by WanstallsOnline View Post
    Although I agree, my concern with a company offering a complete kit is that people should know what they are getting, doing the research and outfitting as you see fit will at least give you the basic knowledge of what is in your kit.

Nothing like dropping big bucks and the first time you open it is in the bush and have no idea what iodine is for.

-Matt
    I agree. You need to know and test/train with your kit. Got a first aid kit, take a first aid course. Got a fire starter, test it and start a fire. Got a rain poncho, make sure it fits you and your backpack. Pull every item out of your backpack and use it in your backyard. This is a great way to thin out what you need because if you try it in your back yard and you find out it is crap, it should not go back into your kit.

Every “prepper” must read the following novel... it’s awesome. I own it and have re read it many times and have taken notes throughout.

Patriots: A Novel of Survival in the Coming Collapse
    Book by James Wesley Rawles

The Fiction series After it Happened is really good. Hard to find in paper copies but the audio books are on YouTube.

CGN frequent flyer
    I do believe in being prepared, and this emergency has made me think deeply about what is involved. Boy's toys fun aside, what has most hit me is how the government just cracked down and rendered useless most of my prep to date. My long term shelter is two provinces away, can't get there, and in fact, local communities don't want people who have their country homes there where they may have been spending 30, 50 grand a year in taxes. Sorry you aren't from here. Which is true, but basically the country balkanized. You basically have to be living in place in your independent situation, wherever that is. And for most Canadians it is a big city. There are very few people who have independence in a big city. I hope people choose a route out of the current impasse, sooner rather than later. But it could go on a lot longer than anything you have in your rucksack will cover. The basic assumption that the moment a crisis hit there would be gun battles all over the place, and a 4K AR was you first tool, is not looking too realistic at the moment. The government is instead going to take advantage of the crisis to move against gun owners as they always do.