Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Time to go, are your ready? A thread for the Prep Folk

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by THESEUS View Post
    So I posted in another thread about being prepared to bug out early on in this crisis and what I'd need and the main responses came down to

"If you think you'll be bugging out in my area think twice"
    "Take our resources and watch what happens"

So in the event of a scenario where its so bad you have to actually bug out be prepared to understand you'll encounter angry country folk who won't want you bugging out to their area regardless of what the situation is.
    Now I've been planning my gear for several years and this hadn't even crossed my mind....
    That seems obvious to me since a lot of the older texts seem to involve the idea of setting up some kind of retreat that will have to be defended against roving mobs of people who want the retreat's stuff. The current culture around bugging out is, despite it's cool gear, those roving mobs who want your stuff. They don't frame it like that, but if you move 100 miles out of a major city, you are moving into someone else's yard in many cases. And weirdly, Canada is pretty urbanized, and a lot of territory around those cities is privately owned for hundreds of miles. In the current emergency locals don't even want millionaires who have all their supplies in their country residence and just want a place where they can hang out watching netflix and trading their porfolios. What nobody wants is a band of heavily armed, jackass, fantasists. And I don't think for the average sheeple the events of Nova Scotia have softened the view.

This is great news Matt and there is a lot of stuff that is harder to find or the selection is just crap locally.
    We have a major bug in kit. Several Tupperware bins of survival stuff for keeping us safe for a few weeks not including food and water supplies. They can also quickly be loaded onto the truck and camper should the need arise.
    Everyone in the family has their own bug out/72 hour bag and each of us has some unique stuff in it.
    Actually having the family help in preparing their own bags was really eye opening. What my wife and daughter found important wasn’t what I would have thought but actually quiet helpful.
    Plus our bags aren’t duplicates but compliment each other.
    As well both my wife and I have get home bags in the vehicle. These are basic, what would be needed to walk through the lower mainland jungle or spend a night if we had to should something happen while at work.

As for things I’ve found hard to find locally.
    Good sil tarps are hard to find. MEC has a couple which are plain and you have to shop at MEC.
    Water filters like the sawyer mini etc.
    water bags
    Light weight folding shovel that isn’t some clunky surplus thing.
    Kids stuff is also really hard. Masks, googles etc in small sizes. And while it may seem trivial having it kid colored or designed will go a long way. This time can be scary for young children so everyone putting on black masks and googles isn’t going to make it any better. If they have their own fun superhero or princess stuff it will make them want to use it. (Trust me only parents really see the true value in this)
    Lots of fire starting options out there. But trying to find just plain ferro Rods isn’t easy locally. Always nice to build your own into gear and crafts that do double purpose.
    That’s all I can think of off the top of my head but I’ll add more if I think of it.

I bought a body bag. It is overlooked that if a member of your family dies and systems for body disposal have broken down, you may have to store it on-site, and a 30 dollar bodybag could really keep your sanitary level high.
    The gun has played a critical role in history. An invention which has been praised and denounced... Served hero and villain alike... And carries with it moral responsibility. To understand the gun is to better understand history.

BANNED
    Jesus. WTF kind of scenarios are you prepping for?

Lol

James Wesley Rawles has quite the series, great fiction to read up on.
    Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome - Gunnery Sgt. Tom Highway

CGN Ultra frequent flyer cody c's Avatar
    The forum zombie squad has a lot of interesting reads and info for preppers. One of the most interesting threads ever is on there (strangest thing you have ever seen) as well as lots of real stories about people who have faced real disasters and first hand scenarios. A bit more paranoia of armed bad guys but it’s an American forum so.. ya. Haven’t been there in ages but some good info and knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by FyreFighter View Post
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    I bought a body bag. It is overlooked that if a member of your family dies and systems for body disposal have broken down, you may have to store it on-site, and a 30 dollar bodybag could really keep your sanitary level high.
    Ok.

I thought I was squared away!

Quote Originally Posted by FyreFighter View Post
    The Liberal Government Armageddon kind!.............
    The only government I trust is 45-70 Government!