Page 71 of 86 FirstFirst ... 5161636465666768697071727374757677787981 ... LastLast

Thread: CPC Leadership

Quote Originally Posted by All in fun View Post
    This is getting old. The leadership candidates are who they are. I have my own favorite, but what I'm sure about is any one of them is better for the country than Trudeau is. Everyone should vote for whoever they like, and then support whoever wins.
    Agreed

Here's an idea:

If you want Lewis to be an electable candidate, get her to drop 2 things...

1. Abortion; all she has to say is "personally opposed but I support a woman's right to choose and will not move to change any laws or restrict access, and will not allow party members to put forward legislation to that affect"

2. LGBTQ+ right; she wants to repeal C16 which provides protection from discrimination to trans/non binary folks under the CHRA and Criminal Code. She keeps that in her platform and she won't get many moderates voting for her.
    Last edited by l!fealert; 05-24-2020 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitticus View Post
    Honestly don't understand how anyone thinks Lewis has a chance to win a general election... probably the same people who thought Canadians wouldn't ever vote for Trudeau again in the last election. The minute the word abortion comes out of a candidates mouth, they've lost. It doesn't matter that she only wants to prevent "gender selective abortions" and to end Canadian funding access to abortion services in foreign countries... she's toast. The general electorate is not as knowledgeable as we seem to be giving them credit for. O'Toole's social conservatism and desperation to hold onto the "tru blue" label will also cost him in an election. The vast majority of Canadians believe in abortion, LGBTQ2 rights and climate change. MacKay is the only shot of a general election victory. The fundraising data for the leadership contest also points in this direction. Voting for either Lewis of O'Toole will simply be akin to cutting off your nose to spite your face and all but guarantee another Liberal victory. I've voted Conservative in every election since I'v been old enough to vote, but even I would have a hard time casting a ballot for a candidate with such outdated social views. We need to accept the fact that MacKay isn't the most Conservative of the candidates, but he is the only one who could take on Trudeau. We need to take our wins where we can and win the battle before we can win the war. If you want another Liberal government - possibly even a majority, then by all means, vote for Lewis or O'Toole. If you want an actual chance of a CPC government after the next election, you need to get behind MacKay, at least for now.
    Outdated social views? I am trying to learn about the candidates. However abortion can be swept under the table. Focus on the environmemt swing hippies, use the visible minority to an advantage, and ##### Mackay has political demons that will get brought up, using DND helicopters, losing a laptop, etc. Media will drag him through the mud. Yes Lewis is new, inexperienced. So was the part time drama teacher/ski instructor. Lewis has a better chance of pulling votes out of the GTA. That is what is needed. Mackay speels doom. Lewis will get more confident, and fast. She isn't perfect, but the conservative party has to change its colours and become more appealing to a broad group of voters. Not hardline Cons.

I do not know why ##### showed up in front of mackay on my last post.

Yes. Outdated social views. That's exactly the problem with O'Toole and Lewis.

Quote Originally Posted by jobbass View Post
    In order to win the next election
    Conservative must find a candidate from Ontario
    1- speak French fluently
    2- be open minded about the LGBT community
    3- stop mumbling about abortion issue

And only after that we can win

Stop choosing candidates from the west which represent 15% of the population at best

To be honest, if Bernier was still in the cpc camp , I would vote for him instead of Lewis, who is my number 1.

The reason is exactly that ; Bernier is a Quebecer, and he speaks French fluently, and moreover, he is the kind of bum that Quebecers like.

because one thing is certain : elections are won by quebec, and ontario. and since quebecers are used to all lining up under the same banner, bernier could have actually won the next one because quebec would have lined up behind him; he's well known and gets a lot of support in quebec city and around,and in beauce at large. only montreal would have kept voting turdeau.

the end justifies the means.

Bernier couldn't even win his own seat because of his stance on supply management.

To think he could win the whole province is laughable at best, but mostly delusional.

Quote Originally Posted by elusiveshapesandforms View Post
    To be honest, if Bernier was still in the cpc camp , I would vote for him instead of Lewis, who is my number 1.

The reason is exactly that ; Bernier is a Quebecer, and he speaks French fluently, and moreover, he is the kind of bum that Quebecers like.

because one thing is certain : elections are won by quebec, and ontario. and since quebecers are used to all lining up under the same banner, bernier could have actually won the next one because quebec would have lined up behind him; he's well known and gets a lot of support in quebec city and around,and in beauce at large. only montreal would have kept voting turdeau.

the end justifies the means.
    So which policy positions do you think makes Lewis electable?

Certainly not her stance on abortion, or her wanting to strip human rights protections from trans/non binary people.

Insofar as I can tell, both of those will absolutely torpedo any chance she has.

Quote Originally Posted by l!fealert View Post
    So which policy positions do you think makes Lewis electable?

Certainly not her stance on abortion, or her wanting to strip human rights protections from trans/non binary people.

Insofar as I can tell, both of those will absolutely torpedo any chance she has.
    Which human rights protections do you think she wants to strip from people, and what specifically do you mean by human rights protections?

Quote Originally Posted by All in fun View Post
    Which human rights protections do you think she wants to strip from people, and what specifically do you mean by human rights protections?

So, Leslyn Lewis has as part of her platform that she plans to repeal Bill C-16. It's not what I think, it's what is clearly stated in her platform.

"I will also repeal Bill C-16, which attacks free speech, threatening fines and sanctions against people who use incorrect speech. I believe that Canadian laws sufficiently protect against actual abuses and harassment of individuals."

https://www.leslynlewis.ca/policies (Scroll down to Attacks on Freedom)

Let's clear this up. What she calls 'incorrect speech' is called general decency and common courtesy. Im so sorry using the pronouns someone asks, or not dead-naming (using their pre-transition name) is such a ####ing giant imposition. Nobody seems to find using Ms/Mrs/Miss for a woman difficult, so why is they/them or their chosen name so goddamn difficult.

C-16 added 'gender identity or expression' to the protected groups under the Canadian Human Rights Act and to the 'identifiable groups' in the Criminal Code.

https://www.parl.ca/DocumentViewer/e.../first-reading

A repeal of C-16 would, in effect, strip from trans and non-binary people protections from discrimination under the Human Rights Act (based on their gender identity or expression). It would also mean that crimes committed against these people would not result in additional considerations during sentencing if the crimes were motivated by bias/discrimination/etc due to their gender identity or expression (like it would if that was the motivation for a crime against any other [defined] identifiable group)

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/...ion-718.2.html

So, in summary, she'd like to strip important human rights protections from trans and non-binary people.

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.
    Last edited by l!fealert; 05-25-2020 at 08:54 AM.