Page 73 of 86 FirstFirst ... 5363656667686970717273747576777879808183 ... LastLast

Thread: CPC Leadership

Also, the speech part is only one part of the other protections provided under C16...

Some of the others include protections from discrimination in employment, housing, healthcare, etc

Y'all should really read C-16

CGN Ultra frequent flyer BlackVoid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by l!fealert View Post
    Well, if you do it by accident and are corrected, and then continue to do it, it's pretty obviously no longer an accident
    Pretty obviously, you can't see that giving more repressive power to the state over what somebody said is an end of democracy.

It started with human right tribunals, BTW. Now our overlords added it to criminal code, so people go to jail vs getting a monetary hit.

But after COVID insanity, nothing surprises me anymore.

As Orwell said "If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever."

Quote Originally Posted by BlackVoid View Post
    Pretty obviously, you can't see that giving more repressive power to the state over what somebody said is an end of democracy.

It started with human right tribunals, BTW. Now our overlords added it to criminal code, so people go to jail vs getting a monetary hit.

But after COVID insanity, nothing surprises me anymore.

As Orwell said "If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever."
    Naw, I just see providing trans/non-binary people the same protections from discrimination as other identifiable minorities as important.

I'm sorry you can no longer discriminate against someone because of their gender identity/expression, it must be so tough.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer BlackVoid's Avatar
    Naw, I just see providing trans/non-binary people the same protections from discrimination as other identifiable minorities as important.

I'm sorry you can no longer discriminate against someone because of their gender identity/expression, it must be so tough.
    Not sure why you felt the need to resort to personal attacks. (actually I do, to put me on defensive and make me start proving that I am not a bigot).

So i will stop wasting my time on you.

EVERYTHING coming you way in the future, YOU deserve it.

I, and I assume most other people do not intend to discriminate or be arseholes but....

Similar to our gun control scenario I think people may be worried that we are being set up on a slippery slope. If people were to take a minute and think of how making forms of speech illegal may progress, we could go along way down that road. What happens when it's illegal to speak out against the government?

There are some who argue that refusing to date a trans person is discrimination. Wait until Justin gets that idea in his head and tries to make a law against that.

Most of us want to believe humans should be able to self regulate and be descent people. It's along the same lines as being able to self regulate and not be a danger to society when owning firearms.

The left does not think we are able to self regulate and just want to pile law upon law to prevent us from doing or saying or owning anything that COULD be mean or harmrful.

Quote Originally Posted by Static80 View Post
    I, and I assume most other people do not intend to discriminate or be arseholes but....

Similar to our gun control scenario I think people may be worried that we are being set up on a slippery slope. If people were to take a minute and think of how making forms of speech illegal may progress, we could go along way down that road. What happens when it's illegal to speak out against the government?

There are some who argue that refusing to date a trans person is discrimination. Wait until Justin gets that idea in his head and tries to make a law against that.

Most of us want to believe humans should be able to self regulate and be descent people. It's along the same lines as being able to self regulate and not be a danger to society when owning firearms.

The left does not think we are able to self regulate and just want to pile law upon law to prevent us from doing or saying or owning anything that COULD be mean or harmrful.
    You're missing the point, the speech part is a small one.

The protections provided include protection from discrimination when seeking employment/housing/healthcare/etc

Why protecting marginalized people from discrimination is such a big problem makes no sense to me

We provide these same protections to people based on race/country of origin/sexual orientation/disabilities/etc

The only difference is now that also applies to gender identity/expression.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackVoid View Post
    Not sure why you felt the need to resort to personal attacks. (actually I do, to put me on defensive and make me start proving that I am not a bigot).

So i will stop wasting my time on you.

EVERYTHING coming you way in the future, YOU deserve it.
    The 'you' was directed more generally at people upset at not being able to discriminate based on gender identity/expression, not YOU specifically.

Quote Originally Posted by Static80 View Post

I guess we don't need anti-discrimination laws to protect people of color, gay/lesbian/bisexual people, people with disabilities, etc then right? Because people would never discriminate and can totally self regulate right?

These protections exist because this type discrimination does happen

This has nothing to do with 'guessing'... If a trans person corrects you on pronouns, and you apologize / use the ones they ask, end of story. If they correct you and you continue intentionally using the wrong ones... Now you've got discrimination.
    No, there is no discrimination in the situation you suggest. I normally try to be courteous, but free speech trumps feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by dyeman123 View Post
    This lol Still will buy a membership!
    Quote Originally Posted by All in fun View Post
    No, there is no discrimination in the situation you suggest. I normally try to be courteous, but free speech trumps feelings.
    The discrimination happens when, after being corrected, you choose not to be courteous and continue to use the wrong pronouns or dead-name them.

How hard is that to understand?

In the same way repeatedly using derogatory terms to a disabled person to their face, after being asked not to (and/or told how offensive they find it), is discrimination.