Page 80 of 86 FirstFirst ... 6070727374757677787980818283848586 LastLast

Thread: CPC Leadership

CGN Ultra frequent flyer trebor2880's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by driller212 View Post
    She wants to ban sex selective abortion, you might want to learn what that is before you label her as pro life. I'm pro choice and I agree with banning sex selective abortion, it's messed up.
    Abos in any way, shape, or form, are the least of Canada's problems. The only one who should of had a mandatory abo, was Maggie!

CGN frequent flyer
    My choice was between O'toole and McKay .. until the French language debate whereupon McKay told Quebecers that he'll give them veto power over any proposed pipeline . He has calculated , just like the Libs that he needs the east coast , Quebec and Toronto for the win and to h*ll with the west . By the numbers he's probably right but O'Toole will represent everyone so that's who i'm going with .

Quote Originally Posted by Jaaska View Post
    My choice was between O'toole and McKay .. until the French language debate whereupon McKay told Quebecers that he'll give them veto power over any proposed pipeline . He has calculated , just like the Libs that he needs the east coast , Quebec and Toronto for the win and to h*ll with the west . By the numbers he's probably right but O'Toole will represent everyone so that's who i'm going with .
    Mckay is right, he will need Quebec and the GTA to win. Him saying that to the french should not surprise anyone .
    Liberal party of Canada- Useless since 1867

CGN Ultra frequent flyer slarsen47's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainin View Post
    Respectfully disagree.

A large part of why we still have PM JT, was because of liberal minded Torontonians, and Lewis has a far better chance for winning them over than O'Toole for a number of reasons.

These liberal voters, IMHO, will identify more closely to Dr. Lewis, but not for the sound policy that she has, but rather that she represents a big change over the Andrew Sheer/O'Toole types they have come to expect from the CPC.

Her being the political outsider / business woman / immigrant success story, they might have expected from the liberals but never saw, now find as the leader of the Conservatives and would be far more willing to hear what she has to say.
    I think you hit the nail on the head!

The country has sunk so low that the only candidate deemed to have a chance should be selected based on sex and race!
    I stand for freedom, law and order, justice, low taxes, prosperity, healthy lifestyle and property rights.

But I am "old school" and can see the "writing on the wall".

You know what, I personally like the idea of Lewis as a CPC Leader and a possible PM candidate. Especially since the other two couldn't last a few months without RCMP investigating them spying on each other.....

Hear me out:
    1) Moved here from Jamaica in her youth and made it as a successful Lawyer - appeals to immigrants and folks that like a good self-made story - beats the snot out of the story of our current "Golden Boy";
    2) Is a woman and a PoC - honestly, a welcoming change from a bunch of boring middle-aged white men that our current government consists of. Kills the NDT's card (Jagmeet) and again beats the snot out of Liberals. Will actually play well in the current "race wars" - look, we, Conservatives aren't what you're painting us to be - we are much more diverse than you would like to believe. Anyone has a problem with our PM being a woman - think of all the work Tracey Wilson has been doing for us way before the ban and while our other two boyscout organizations were bickering over a logo.....
    3) She has Masters in Environmental Law - so all those Eco-terrorists can very well go screw themselves.

Now, I haven't seen her debate yet. Gonna do that... But it's been a while since I considered any politicians coming up with a strong candidate, at least on paper....

Quote Originally Posted by slarsen47 View Post
    I think you hit the nail on the head!

The country has sunk so low that the only candidate deemed to have a chance should be selected based on sex and race!
    I wouldn't be so overly dramatic. She has a good appealing story and a lot of qualifications that a good PM should have.
    Most importantly, she overturns the usual narrative that a typical conservative can only be one of the two options: 1) a white middle-aged guy, born into an upper middle-class or even rich family; or 2) a white middle-aged redneck.

I remember when Naheed Nenshi became the Mayor of Calgary. Aside from him doing a great job, he also changed the image of Calgary and Calgarians forever. At the very least, it shut up those who said that Calgary was a cow-town run by white rednecks pretty quick.

I honestly think that she is the best candidate (on paper, at least) that CPC could put forward for this election. If the usual predictions are true and we are in for an early re-election, then it will be dirty and there will be racist allegations thrown around like there's no tomorrow, our friend Jagmeet Singh is already at it in full swing.

Having lived in 3 provinces I can tell you, Greater Toronto Area looks a hella lot different than the rest of Canada and they vote accordingly. And they are the ones who elect the future PM, whether you like it or not, last election should have demonstrated it well enough.
    It would be great if we could swing some votes here in our favor.
    Last edited by borsch; 06-25-2020 at 01:55 AM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by l!fealert View Post
    So, Leslyn Lewis has as part of her platform that she plans to repeal Bill C-16. It's not what I think, it's what is clearly stated in her platform.

"I will also repeal Bill C-16, which attacks free speech, threatening fines and sanctions against people who use incorrect speech. I believe that Canadian laws sufficiently protect against actual abuses and harassment of individuals."

https://www.leslynlewis.ca/policies (Scroll down to Attacks on Freedom)

Let's clear this up. What she calls 'incorrect speech' is called general decency and common courtesy. Im so sorry using the pronouns someone asks, or not dead-naming (using their pre-transition name) is such a ####ing giant imposition. Nobody seems to find using Ms/Mrs/Miss for a woman difficult, so why is they/them or their chosen name so goddamn difficult.

C-16 added 'gender identity or expression' to the protected groups under the Canadian Human Rights Act and to the 'identifiable groups' in the Criminal Code.

https://www.parl.ca/DocumentViewer/e.../first-reading

A repeal of C-16 would, in effect, strip from trans and non-binary people protections from discrimination under the Human Rights Act (based on their gender identity or expression). It would also mean that crimes committed against these people would not result in additional considerations during sentencing if the crimes were motivated by bias/discrimination/etc due to their gender identity or expression (like it would if that was the motivation for a crime against any other [defined] identifiable group)

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/...ion-718.2.html

So, in summary, she'd like to strip important human rights protections from trans and non-binary people.

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.
    If, in this post, you're making an argument against our supporting Leslyn Lewis for the CPC leadership, you're doing it wrong.

P. S.: Thanks for reminding everyone of key differences between Leslyn Lewis and Peter MacKay.
    Kyle Defoor talks about Mindset:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vPCqMo9TCg

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    If, in this post, you're making an argument against our supporting Leslyn Lewis for the CPC leadership, you're doing it wrong.

P. S.: Thanks for reminding everyone of key differences between Leslyn Lewis and Peter MacKay.
    ****For clarity, I'm responding to original comments by l!fealert, not Wendell****

Yeah, there's a bit of an issue with "gender identity and expression" added in to the same list that already has "sex" and "sexual orientation".

You see, there's a push in science for gender-fluidity and ability to change your gender identity any time you feel like it.
    This is a bit of a sticky point, because it creates a criminal offense in a situation where, an individual is not allowed to decide any given day which restrooms, public change rooms and shower stalls to use. The current system assumes that you pick one identity and stick with it, but the new marching order is that everyone is gender-fluid.

Now, I know that folks in Germany, or Finland, for example, couldn't give two ####s about the above dilemma (since they use shared facilities almost all the time), but Canada and North America are still a bit more conservative in that regard.
    I too can handle an occasional old geezer air-drying his sagging balls for an uncomfortably long time in a public gym change room, but I kinda don't want my daughter to have to accommodate that as well.

Also, dealing with somebody who is constantly sliding along the "gender spectrum" (yes, science is also being pushed to accept it as a spectrum now) and requires new pronouns every day or even hour can be "so Goddamn difficult" as you ("l!fealert) said. Too much effin logistics, if you will. And all for what? To accommodate 0.0005% population that actually have this going on in their lives?

I actually had a team member who went through a gender reassignment process and went from "Brenda" to "Ben" years ago. No issues at all he just told us one day that he would like us to refer to him as "him" and call him "Ben" and that was that. It took a few weeks for everyone to catch on, of course, but ultimately, it was an uneventful and unstressful process. But I can't imagine having to deal with this change in the same person more than once, and yet this is what is being preached with the "gender is a spectrum and we are allowed to be gender-fluid" now.
    Last edited by borsch; 06-25-2020 at 02:26 AM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer slarsen47's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by borsch View Post
    I wouldn't be so overly dramatic. She has a good appealing story and a lot of qualifications that a good PM should have.
    Most importantly, she overturns the usual narrative that a typical conservative can only be one of the two options: 1) a white middle-aged guy, born into an upper middle-class or even rich family; or 2) a white middle-aged redneck.

I remember when Naheed Nenshi became the Mayor of Calgary. Aside from him doing a great job, he also changed the image of Calgary and Calgarians forever. At the very least, it shut up those who said that Calgary was a cow-town run by white rednecks pretty quick.

I honestly think that she is the best candidate (on paper, at least) that CPC could put forward for this election. If the usual predictions are true and we are in for an early re-election, then it will be dirty and there will be racist allegations thrown around like there's no tomorrow, our friend Jagmeet Singh is already at it in full swing.

Having lived in 3 provinces I can tell you, Greater Toronto Area looks a hella lot different than the rest of Canada and they vote accordingly. And they are the ones who elect the future PM, whether you like it or not, last election should have demonstrated it well enough.
    It would be great if we could swing some votes here in our favor.
    I think it is pretty low to disqualify a candidate because they are either white, old, rich or liked the country the way it used to be.

I would NOT cite the Mayor of Calgary as any kind of bright shining light that anyone should hold in high esteem.

The political and demographic reality of GTA and Vancouver is what it is. And it will NOT be Conservative.

This next election will reinforce the need for western separation or some kind of sovereignty association that gives the west power over their own affairs.
    I stand for freedom, law and order, justice, low taxes, prosperity, healthy lifestyle and property rights.

But I am "old school" and can see the "writing on the wall".

CGN Ultra frequent flyer J.Hancock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by l!fealert View Post
    So, Leslyn Lewis has as part of her platform that she plans to repeal Bill C-16. It's not what I think, it's what is clearly stated in her platform.

"I will also repeal Bill C-16, which attacks free speech, threatening fines and sanctions against people who use incorrect speech. I believe that Canadian laws sufficiently protect against actual abuses and harassment of individuals."

https://www.leslynlewis.ca/policies (Scroll down to Attacks on Freedom)

Let's clear this up. What she calls 'incorrect speech' is called general decency and common courtesy. Im so sorry using the pronouns someone asks, or not dead-naming (using their pre-transition name) is such a ####ing giant imposition. Nobody seems to find using Ms/Mrs/Miss for a woman difficult, so why is they/them or their chosen name so goddamn difficult.

C-16 added 'gender identity or expression' to the protected groups under the Canadian Human Rights Act and to the 'identifiable groups' in the Criminal Code.

https://www.parl.ca/DocumentViewer/e.../first-reading

A repeal of C-16 would, in effect, strip from trans and non-binary people protections from discrimination under the Human Rights Act (based on their gender identity or expression). It would also mean that crimes committed against these people would not result in additional considerations during sentencing if the crimes were motivated by bias/discrimination/etc due to their gender identity or expression (like it would if that was the motivation for a crime against any other [defined] identifiable group)

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/...ion-718.2.html

So, in summary, she'd like to strip important human rights protections from trans and non-binary people.

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.

All people are non-binary; there are over 7 billion personalities. There need not be a "special bill of rights" for those of us who cant admit to the fact that our gender (and ethnicity) is not a choice, rather a fact. Sexuality on the other hand should always remain a choice. Men, women, black, white, gay, strait... people always deserve the right to express themselves freely and not be harassed based on their eccentricities, so long as they are not threatening the rights of others. Canadian's strive, IMO, to place one's principles above their personality, while not catering to principles that are simply the result of one's ego.
    All Canadians should experience equality in dealings with any institution that represents our collective.

i.e: If you have a Y chromosome, you are male; if you like the colour pink, you need not be judged differently than someone who likes the colour blue.
    Last edited by J.Hancock; 06-25-2020 at 10:04 AM.
    "When truth and fairness differs from what is law, better to follow truth and fairness."