Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: More ar like firearms going prohib

CGN frequent flyer hannibal.black98's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jiffx2781 View Post
    So correct it hurts
    Glock people... *face palm* - Valaden (I love it!!!) ---- In NO way and at NO time is your airsoft gun ever a "beast" LOLLL ----
    Team 7.62x51mm - Multicam Black Gang - .45Auto holes > 9mm holes -

Quote Originally Posted by mjay22 View Post
    same.. im currently looking into leaving, can't deal with this the rest of my life

Last 8 years was my plan in action, finally got dual citizenship... But the dang wife don't wanna move..... I bet once I get my P.Eng in BC, and the $$$$ comes from US job offers she'll reconsider. Until then, guns stay in USA life stays in Canada for min 3 years
    "From My Cold, Dead Hands." - Charlton Heston

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by 9Guns View Post
    I'm going to try to emigrate even if things do get better. This was WAY too far past the line.
    Depending on your age and family, it might be a good idea.
    I’m almost retired so staying in Canada and earning as much as possible is best for me.
    You can run, hide and try to fight you way out of problems.

In my case, I’ve invested way too much in Canada to shy away from work/dig/fight my way out.
    Alex

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by steamy teabag View Post
    48k+ jobs and hundreds of business's are on the line because of this let alone Covid19.
    LOL as if you think jobs matter. The country can just keep printing money to give out. There is an endless amount of money this government can pump out.

So I have a silly question;

With all these changes happening, especially this latest piece you brought up, how would someone know about this who doesn't have cable anymore (most people nowadays) and had stopped reading the news? I mean I'm sure a lot of the people here only know because of these forums, but let's say one didn't read these, what then? Aren't these banned guns technically still non restricted until you get the notice in the mail stating otherwise? I know ignorance of the law doesn't mean it isn't law but I deal in construction contracts and something isn't official until written notice is provided despite being verbally told. Not going to try anything silly but had to ask what the next step we can expect is.

Asking for a friend...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Deathrawt's Avatar
    You will know once you get stopped by a LEO and you have one of the new prohibs with you
    You won’t get a letter because they supposededly don’t know if you have the rifle if it’s non restricted

Quote Originally Posted by Deathrawt View Post
    You will know once you get stopped by a LEO and you have one of the new prohibs with you
    You won’t get a letter because they supposededly don’t know if you have the rifle if it’s non restricted
    Fair enough, but if you have an AR wouldn't they send you something? And despite them not knowing, shouldn't or wouldn't they be obligated to issue notice to everyone then? Or I guess what am I really asking, they don't care about us...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by siciliano View Post
    So I have a silly question;

With all these changes happening, especially this latest piece you brought up, how would someone know about this who doesn't have cable anymore (most people nowadays) and had stopped reading the news? I mean I'm sure a lot of the people here only know because of these forums, but let's say one didn't read these, what then? Aren't these banned guns technically still non restricted until you get the notice in the mail stating otherwise? I know ignorance of the law doesn't mean it isn't law but I deal in construction contracts and something isn't official until written notice is provided despite being verbally told. Not going to try anything silly but had to ask what the next step we can expect is.

Asking for a friend...
    It's your duty to know the law. The whole "you can't ignore the law" thing doesn't mean "you can't do as you please even if it's contrary to the law", because that's a tautology. What it means is that you can't not know the law. Not having an internet connection isn't a reason to not know the law.

A corollary of "you can't ignore the law" is that the law must be published and accessible. In our system, it means a law has to be published in the official "gazette" to be effective. The OIC was published in the gazette, therefore it affects every person on Canadian soil: citizens, non-citizens, corporations. The FRT is not published anywhere, and therefore can be pretty much completely ignored, legally speaking. Saying "item X is prohibited because the FRT says so" is a complete non-sequitur.

So if you take the SLR as an example, nothing in the OIC is banning them. They are not variant of AR15, are not prohibited by name, don't have bore >20mm, and arguably can't project a bullet with more than 10kj of muzzle energy. So not prohib. If the FRT list them as Prohib, then the FRT is simply wrong, and those who use it should request the correction to be made from those who produce it. If a retailer or distributor has a significant amount of invested money in SLR inventory, they should contact their lawyer to get an legal opinion on whether they can sell them or not.

The reverse is also true. A rifle barreled in 375 Enabler is currently listed in the FRT as NR (as far as I know), but in reality it is prohibited under the 10kj clause. Anyone should obviously have a chat with their lawyers before selling, transporting, or using such a rifle in any way. Regardless of what the FRT says.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by siciliano View Post
    Fair enough, but if you have an AR wouldn't they send you something? And despite them not knowing, shouldn't or wouldn't they be obligated to issue notice to everyone then? Or I guess what am I really asking, they don't care about us...
    The TDLR if my above post is this: publication of the OIC in the gazette is technically and legally a notice to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by hannibal.black98 View Post
    Police and military weapons training is a joke unless your active infantry...even then most cant shoot a handgun for ####.
    This made me laugh....as there is truth to it. Getting qualified on the Browning or Sig in the CAF is a two day affair, and the PWT standard is aimed at qualifying as many as possible. From the members of various police forces I know, there is a struggle to maintian qualifications on firearms, let alone have all members qualified on handgun, shotgun and rifle. Some of the "civilian side" handgun training courses are superior. I have no idea why this retired member is spouting such BS aside from him having political ambition or being a fame whore that wants to be on CBC, so he spouts the dictated mantra.

Might have to buy a BCG.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast