Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ballistol Gun Oil spray

Ballistol Gun Oil spray

Hi all. Just a quick question. I have been looking online, searched through forums but there are so many different products out there. You guys know if Ballistol gun spray oil can be used on the stock, barrel and gun metal as a lubricant and a rust type protector? Thanks in advance.

Yes to all. Also leather (slings, etc)
    From south-south-south-west-west-west-south-south-south-south-west Ontario. Go as far southwest as you can go.

Yes to all, I am a little obsessed with this stuff. Neutralizes acids, act like a mild solvent, lubricates. Bio degradable and totally edible. Good down passed -40C if you shoot in the cold

I find it works great on wood and leather, really deep penetration on some leathers. I’ve used it on wood furniture around the house.

Great stuff but absolutely stanks

Quote Originally Posted by AfroCowboy View Post
    Yes to all, I am a little obsessed with this stuff. Neutralizes acids, act like a mild solvent, lubricates. Bio degradable and totally edible. Good down passed -40C if you shoot in the cold

I find it works great on wood and leather, really deep penetration on some leathers. I’ve used it on wood furniture around the house.
    Though I use Ballistol on all my guns you must either be single, wife has no sense of smell or she’s a keeper.
    Member- NRA NFA CSSA CCFR CSC

CGN Ultra frequent flyer StoneHorse's Avatar
    All good points except I wouldn't consider it an edible. The wife hates the smell but I don't mind it.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneHorse View Post
    All good points except I wouldn't consider it an edible. The wife hates the smell but I don't mind it.
    Agree. Need to clean my guns when she's out.
    Main ingredient is mineral oil, I believe, so not really edible, but won't kill you.
    Helps with constipation.
    CSSA/CCFR MemberAn unjust law, is no law at all.Martin Luther (1483-1546)
    There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. Elie Wiesel

From their site, it gets a little dark as they're pretty blunt about animal testing. This is also the more concentrated oil that was originally co-developed circa WWI as an antiseptic and lubricant much like vaseline was.

"TOXICOLOGY: In various feeding experiments with rabbits, guinea pigs and dogs it could be demonstrated that Ballistol does not have any acutely toxic properties. The test animals were given 2 grams per kilogram bodyweight, which did not cause even the least chronic health damage. This is not only true with single experiments but also with a series of experiments that were carried out over a time span of seven days. It can also be asserted that little two-year-old children who erroneously drank out a 50 ml-bottle did not show any pathological symptoms apart from a little hangover like it appears after drinking too much alcohol. Within twelve hours the children were absolutely well again.

This observation coincides with the fact that a large number of huntsmen and shooters use Ballistol internally when they suffer from digestion problems or heartburn. Several reports maintain that even year-long use does not damage your health.

The disinfecting power of Ballistol has also been investigated. According to these investigations the bacterium staphylococcus auras is killed by undiluted Ballistol within three to ten minutes, whereas typhoid, paratyphoid, and tuberculosis germs cannot survive one minute. The coli bacillus was dead after three minutes."
    As for the smell: Definitely seeing someone, they don't mind. Brother hates it, it grew on me.
    Last edited by AfroCowboy; 07-17-2020 at 10:48 AM.

Excellent stuff - I put it on everything!

My biggest problem with it is where to find another big refill. A sewing machine place in Toronto seems to stock it, but I am never in the big city anymore.
    “Somewhere out there, right now, someone is practicing. And when you meet him, he will win." Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by AfroCowboy View Post

All of the above and it Doesn't Taste ''That'' Bad.
    "iacta alea est"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast