Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 10x12 muti curved shooters cut LIV NIJ certfied NIJ 06 RCMP contract

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron SS View Post
    RCMP don't wear hard armour all day. THey wear soft armour as a general rule, and only don the hard armour on call when there is an elevated threat level.

The Canadian Military which utilizes similar plates as general issue on combat operations is making the determination that intact vital organs now is more important than lower back problems later.

Are you simply looking to see if there was a penetration, or are you concerned with how much deformation there was? NIJ specs allow up to 25mm of deformation.
    Very well said
    Thanks

How "drop resistant" are these? Never understood how something that can stop a .308 can fail if you drop it on the gun room floor by accident.

Quote Originally Posted by jacotsmith View Post
    How "drop resistant" are these? Never understood how something that can stop a .308 can fail if you drop it on the gun room floor by accident.
    the meet the NIJ 06 standard, they are well padded, so will handle the 1m drop test

Quote Originally Posted by IanON View Post
    Any photo's of the back of the plates?
    Name:  hll4 backside.jpg
Views: 843
Size:  76.2 KB

Name:  hll41.jpg
Views: 857
Size:  93.2 KBName:  hll42.jpg
Views: 835
Size:  69.4 KBName:  hll4 back.jpg
Views: 859
Size:  99.3 KBName:  hll4 backside.jpg
Views: 833

Quote Originally Posted by badboybeeson View Post
    Name:  hll4 backside.jpg
Views: 843
    Thank you, I ordered yesterday.

Appreciate the photo's.

Will these be bubble wrapped or have some other form of protection applied for shipping purposes?

Talking about drop test and all, I think the shipping company might try some of their own drop tests...
    Last edited by IanON; 06-03-2020 at 04:58 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by jacotsmith View Post
    To be hard enough in order to stop an armour piercing round, it necessarily has to be brittle. It is a basic principle of physics.

Most NIJ Level 4 plates are made of ceramic. Aluminum Oxide or Silicon Carbine ceramics engineered for this application can have Brinell hardnesses in the same range as glass. Tends not to pass drop tests.

IN order to score a multi hit rating most plates, rather than have a single ceramic plate, are actually made of a series of small hexagonal ceramic tiles that are bonded together to ensure no gaps between tiles. That way the tiles act as a solid mass when impacted, but any damage done to a single tile will not spread to adjacent tiles. Dropping the plates repeatedly risks cracking both the individual tiles, as well as the bond holding the tiles together.

Its not that the plate won't survive the drop. The plate will survive the drop just the same as a .308 hit. What we are talking about is surviving a drop AND surviving a .308. These plants aren't made of unobtanium. They have a shelf life and subjected to repeated abuse they will, just the same as anything else. Most plates well exceed the NIJ specs, but there is no way to demonstrably prove it. And since the only way to conclusive evaluate the damage to a plate after the drop is to xray it, the diagnostic typically costs more than the plates are worth. SO its just as easy for the manufacturer to say don't drop it, and be done.

Your life. Your plate. Drop it as many times as you want to.
    Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods. HL Mencken. 1919.

Many thanks for connecting the dots.

Quote Originally Posted by IanON View Post
    Thank you, I ordered yesterday.

Appreciate the photo's.

Will these be bubble wrapped or have some other form of protection applied for shipping purposes?

Talking about drop test and all, I think the shipping company might try some of their own drop tests...
    Yes we will ship them in a tight fitting 10x12x4 inch box that is 200lb crush rated and will have padding in them
    they is very little chance you will see any damage.
    the plates them self and a full padded foam bumper built into the plate so that helps allso
    simon

thank you for the pics. i already ordered a set but its nice to see, that is alot less backface than i have seen from some other plates ive seen on the gun youtubes. will you be stocking these full time or is this a once its gone its gone thing?

edit: do the plates have any information printed on them for when i forget the ratings in a couple years time like i did with my steel plates?
    Last edited by white_knight; 06-03-2020 at 06:40 PM.