Thread: first time cleaning Mosin, do i have to rinse away the solvent with water?

first time cleaning Mosin, do i have to rinse away the solvent with water?

Hello Guys

Sorry for this stupid question.

I was following a youtube link on stripping apart and cleaning Mosin Nagant, the youtuber used windex to wash off cosmoline, wipe them dry and applied gun oil, so what i did was using simple green to rinse off the cosmoline, wiped and used hair blower to dry the parts, then applied gun oil. I specifically did not use water because i thought that speeds up the rusting on the metal parts.

then i read online that simple green lefts a residue that speed up corrosion? so should I take the whole gun apart, rinse them with water, blow dry and apply gun oil again? I am confused and do not want to act in a rush for a second time.

Btw for a first timer stripping a mosin twice in a day is a lot of work........ but i guess ill still do it if necessary

Thank you all in advance for helping me out, I know I shouldnt freak out but all those rusting mosin pic online is just scary, and this is my first firearm so i want to keep her clean and safe.

thanks again

CGN Regular
    I used Simply Green on my motorcycle and don't remember a film after rinsing with water. So maybe you should rinse with water, blow dry, oil, and shoot repetitively. And have fun doing it.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Diesel, varsol..or mixture of

I used mineral spirits for cosmoline, then just used hoppes rem oil to lightly oil the metal parts and inside barrel for rust inhibitor

CGN Ultra frequent flyer FLHTCUI's Avatar
    Run 'er through the dishwasher.....
    Rob
    Infantryman Terry J Street,2nd Battalion, PPCLI, Shilo, Man. EOT, April 4 2008 Panjwayi District Afghanistan,Constable Jimmy Ng,RCMP EOW,Sunday, September 15, 2002

Hey, OP, cosmoline is not water soluble so you need to use an oil based solvent, such as mineral oil.

Don't worry about some water getting on the metal parts. Just wipe them dry, and oil them.

Hope this helped.

Quote Originally Posted by turtle4123 View Post
    Hey, OP, cosmoline is not water soluble so you need to use an oil based solvent, such as mineral oil.

Don't worry about some water getting on the metal parts. Just wipe them dry, and oil them.

Hope this helped.
    this.

My fav technique is put the wood in a black trash bag, leave in the sun and wipe with a rag every 2-3 hours.

Hi, I do quite a bit of cosmoline removal and I tried different types of solutions but I would say that mineral spirit is the best for removing cosmoline.

I usually soak the parts for a day and there would be no cosmoline left, all you have to do is use a dry cloth to wipe the parts clean. Mineral spirit actually evaporates so you can treat the parts with gun lube after. If you have wood stock, the mineral spirit does not hurt the wood like acetone so you still can wipe the wood with mineral spirit but don't soak it and treat it with linseed oil after.

if you need more info, please message me and I will give you a link to my video on it.

https://youtu.be/a1fXfUXjRMw

To answer your question regarding using water, basically you use soap and water when cleaning guns that fired black powder ammo because of the potassium nitrate residue which is water soluble, and you must dry the bore thoroughly, I use my air compressor to dry the bore, and oil the bore after.

But if you use conventional ammo, there's no need to use soap and water, since you deal mainly with sulphur and carbon. You can get rid of the sulphur by using commercial gun cleaners and then you should use the wire brush to remove the carbon deposits because carbon is not soluble. And you oil the tube after.
    Last edited by Boltcarrier; 07-11-2020 at 04:26 PM.