Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Service Rifle SR CQB with BOLT Guns

Super Moderator
    Keep an eye on w ww.osacanada.ca. The revised 2020 schedule will be posted soon. Tentatively scheduled are New Service Rifle Trials on July 4th. I expect this will be SR oriented, not CQB.

The Shooting Edge - CGN Sponsor TSE JR's Avatar
    Definitely some great food for thought.

JR
    \"J.R."\
    CEO

The Shooting Edge, Target Sports Canada, William Evans

Quote Originally Posted by w squared View Post
    I like the Ruger American suggestion - they are super cost effective. Another possibility would be a Ruger "Gunsite Scout" in .223 - they have access to very good factory 3, 5, ad 10 round magazines.
    Another vote for the Ruger GSS. Great little rifle.
    Velox Versutus Vigilans

NRA

BANNED
    Subscribed.

Rem 783 shorty in MDT chassis is not bad at all, but adult calibers can be loud with a brake.
    If using SKS, COF would be incomplete without a bayo stab at close range.
    Have you thought about having a PCC division?

Maybe have different categories? Some people still have some semis they would like to use.

Business Member
    Hold on (facetious hat ON....)

What SKS???

Back to Sarcasm.... SKS rigs have always enjoyed a super presence in CQB. Not so much in SR. Back in the fall of 2009, TimK and I ventured to Quebec City, QC and stayed at CFB Valcartier. We delivered a CQB clinic that weekend and there was a very strong representation of SKS rigs there. The fastest folks were clip feeding 5 or 6 rounds per clip.

They were super smart.... Using a couple of wraps of PINK, Lime Green, or yellow duct tape (Staples sells every colour) at the top of the steel clip (notice; I said, “clip” not magazine ) to allow a rapid deployment and alignment of the 5 or 6 round clip into the SKS clip slot. Right hand was strong hand; they used a high right elbow and turned the top of the SKS receiver to the interior of the body; this alignment allowed opposing shoulders (read: big muscle groups) to facilitate a quick reload.

I loved watching them while I was RSO’ing that end of the firing line. Just like when I used to compete with an M14 and clip feed. Now back to the M14 and respective clip feed, because the M14, 7.62mm, .308 clips are 5 rounders, there is a tendency to draw (lots of) blood during this rapid replenishment under stress. The thumb can potentially mis align and then proceed to rip open the skin on the side of the thumb. Ask me how I know.

And yes, the Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle is a perfect candidate for SR and CQB matches (well, .308 ammo does get pricey), but the .223 has lots of future potential in these games.

I could use one if I could FIND one in .223 and synthetic black stock with a 16.1” factory barrel (I hope I have that dimension right)...

In the mean time I shall proceed to prepare my SPS .223 Remmy M700 “Threaded” from Epps for SR and CQB fun and do some dry runs at my club....

Keep the discussion rolling!! And bring out them SKS rigs! LOL.

Cheers, Barney

Tagged for interest, I like where you're going with this.

CGN Regular
    Would love to try this with a Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308 and a LPVO

CGN Regular
    I'm interested. Tagged. Definitely want to move forward and get into competition as planned. Just can't do it with my AR now. What about the tavor?
    Insert clever signature here...

CGN Regular
    I have a Remmy 700 .308 win 16.5” HV barrel 1:10 twist with a MDT LSS chassis, muzzle brake and 10rd Steel MDT mags. Magpul grip and strike industries Viper Mod 1 stock. Currently a Vortex 6-24 HS-T Mrad scope in QD Burris XTR 30mm rings sits on top and I have to say I love this rifle it’s is sort of a do all. Nice and short weighs under 7lbs total. With Or without handloads it shoots great. Sounds like it would meet the needs of these types of competition very well.
    I love the sound that a law makes when I break it!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast