Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Service Rifle SR CQB with BOLT Guns

Quote Originally Posted by stormbringerii View Post
    Out of curiosity what are the caliber restrictions on these courses/competitions? I've used every conceivable type of action on a firearm over the course of my life and I always fall back to bolt and semi depending on my situation. The idea of using a 6mm Creedmore in a bolt for several different types of training and competition really piques my interest. I've been considering building one anyways and this would put me over the top.
    The 6mm Creedmoor is better suited to longer distances than you would encounter in CQB. Sure, you could shoot one in these in close range matches, but it would be costly, you would lose brass, and wear the barrel for no advantage over 223.

They’ve been going after these rifles in Australia for years and I’ve heard the straight pull AR looking bolt guns in the U.K. are coming under scrutiny.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...e-in-australia

My concern is, without any certainty on whether I have any rights to firearms - buying another system and investing in training will
    be for naught.

I’d rather take that money I would be spending on a new rifle and give it to the legal challenges. Don’t shoot this year and the money I would spend on ammo, matches - given to the legal challenges. And if I can work that 100 extra hours instead of shooting or travelling to matches - well money from that work give to the legal challenge.

That’s my two cents - I’m giving the rest to the legal challenges.
    UNPROFOR 94/95, SFOR 2001
    Member of the CCFR and CPC.
    If you are not donating $20/month to the CPC then you are not serious about owning and keeping your guns.

Super Moderator
    I can appreciate your point of view.
    Are the challenges being adequately funded? This may not be an either/or situation. Why not both?

Quote Originally Posted by tiriaq View Post
    I can appreciate your point of view.
    Are the challenges being adequately funded? This may not be an either/or situation. Why not both?
    While I don’t hold anything against anyone for opening the discussion about other rifles. Some think it’s treasonous - that’s just ridiculous.
    However....There is some validity (IMHO) to the point it weakens the case the AR is “necessary”. And also - if people know there is an exit it is less likely everyone will fight this to the bitter end. I say lock up all exits. No life rafts. We right the Titanic or all hands will be lost at sea.

I’ve already gone though 12.6 and 12.5 twenty five years ago. 90% of my collection is now bolt rifle Milsurps. So the ban doesn’t affect me too much - But I’m done with any more concessions.

In terms of money. Our fight can never be over funded. Why don’t we fund some studies? Why don’t we fund some TV commercials. We are literally spending pennies on the dollar vs what we spend every year and what we’ve invested for decades (time is money!).

Surprised the NRA has not chipped in as well. Most of these ARs and components are US made. Sure we are a small market but can any business piss away a few thousand sales every year???
    UNPROFOR 94/95, SFOR 2001
    Member of the CCFR and CPC.
    If you are not donating $20/month to the CPC then you are not serious about owning and keeping your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by tiriaq View Post
    The AR has been used for competitive shooting for decades. The proof is there.
    At this moment, your AR will be locked up for 2 years before it is collected and destroyed. You cannot legally use it for anything. Unless the court challenges are able to reverse the OIC, or there is an election and a change in government.
    In the meantime, you can sit at home, or you can get out and shoot.
    My CQB platform isn't affected. I'm actually still good to go. But beyond that, "if we're buying a new platform for this anyways." there's LOTS of options out there that are based off of a design more recent than 1898, that also fit the application a lot better.

Now if someone wants to show up and shoot it with a lever action 30-30, or a bolt action, or an airsoft gun, or a slingshot, by all means go for it, I'll be happy to see it and cheer it on. What I'm not ok with is altering the rules to make concessions for stuff that's been obsolete for more than 100 years.

Quote Originally Posted by sledge View Post
    While I don’t hold anything against anyone for opening the discussion about other rifles. Some think it’s treasonous - that’s just ridiculous.
    However....There is some validity (IMHO) to the point it weakens the case the AR is “necessary”. And also - if people know there is an exit it is less likely everyone will fight this to the bitter end. I say lock up all exits. No life rafts. We right the Titanic or all hands will be lost at sea.

I’ve already gone though 12.6 and 12.5 twenty five years ago. 90% of my collection is now bolt rifle Milsurps. So the ban doesn’t affect me too much - But I’m done with any more concessions.

In terms of money. Our fight can never be over funded. Why don’t we fund some studies? Why don’t we fund some TV commercials. We are literally spending pennies on the dollar vs what we spend every year and what we’ve invested for decades (time is money!).
    Much respect to you sir. and I completely agree with all your points. I hope I don't come off as suggesting that it's treasonous. I am a firm believer in shooting what makes you happy, if you wanna show up to a CQB match in WW1 attire with WW1 equipment and shoot it, I will be the first guy to say that that's super cool. And if we want to add a "WW1 division." I'm good with that too.

Business Member
    Last year, 2019, the Match Director invited an abbreviated CQB CoF for Vintage Milsurp rigs. I was the RSO on the firing line. It sure was fun....

I forgot to mention this was at the May or June CQB match in Base Borden’s Langemark Range Bay4.

I got to see a couple of M1 Garands , a No.4, a P17 in .303 (or is it P14?), a No.5 JC, and yes, a lever gun .357 Marlin 1894. It sure was fun.

The entire idea is to get out there; keep making community and of course, keep shooting!

Cheers, Barney

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jparent's Avatar
    Tagged. been wanting to practice this in the backyard for a while now. Time to start.

Oh, and CZ Ranger Rifle. Savage scout in 7.62x39 and any of the other CZ in x39
    Looking down the barrel, of 1984...
    Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Foxtrot Oscar.
    It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. - Claire Wolfe

CGN Regular
    Really you don't need equipment based classes just time based. Hardcore (original timing) and relaxed (longer timing). If you want to run a bolt on short timing go for it. If your an old or new guy who would have more fun in relaxed go for it. Relaxed would be more points based and hardcore more point/time based. Not sure how two different timings would work from a MD perspective but it could be an option.

Quote Originally Posted by TRDJer View Post
    Really you don't need equipment based classes just time based. Hardcore (original timing) and relaxed (longer timing). If you want to run a bolt on short timing go for it. If your an old or new guy who would have more fun in relaxed go for it. Relaxed would be more points based and hardcore more point/time based. Not sure how two different timings would work from a MD perspective but it could be an option.
    The more I think about it the more I'm on side with this. I don't think many of us are out there at Barney's events looking to be world champion, we're mostly there to enjoy the community and try to beat ourselves. So in that spirit, "pick which time you think fits." works.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast