Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New from Hornady - the 6mm ARC

Business Member

New from Hornady - the 6mm ARC

HornadyŽ is proud to introduce the new 6mm ARC (Advanced Rifle Cartridge). Recently tested, selected and fielded by a specialized group within the U.S. Department of Defense for its multipurpose combat rifle program, the 6mm ARC is a truly versatile cartridge that maximizes the potential of the AR-15 platform. The consumer offerings will feature bullets selected to deliver ideal performance for hunting, match shooting and personal protection applications.

“The 6mm ARC began with a simple question: What can we do with today’s technology to maximize the performance of the AR-15 platform?” Hornady Ballistician Jayden Quinlan said. “We subsequently modeled and tested a variety of designs in different calibers until we were able to produce the most flexible cartridge possible within the limits of the AR-15 system.”

This new cartridge delivers less felt recoil than larger short-action-based cartridges, yet takes full advantage of modern, heavy for caliber 6mm bullets that provide excellent accuracy and ballistic performance at extended range.

“The 6mm ARC does much of what larger cartridges can and everything that smaller cartridges can’t,” Quinlan said.

The 6mm ARC delivers substantially better ballistics than the 5.56 NATO with similar recoil and yet delivers comparable ballistics to the venerable 308 Winchester with 30% less weight on both weapons system and ammunition.

A video explaining this new round:
    https://vimeo.com/419030730/2b1295f525

Despite our OIC issues, several gun makers will be producing rifles chambered in 6mm ARC:

Christensen
    GAP
    Howa
    Lantac
    Mossberg
    Proof

KGL

CGN Regular
    so... 6mm grendel. Cool. I dig it.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Aprilia Man's Avatar
    Seems like it's optimized for semi's ?
    CCFR MDRGC

Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by avocado View Post
    Essentially, yep. Should be a sweet little round for a variety of purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilia Man View Post
    Seems like it's optimized for semi's ?
    It is, but will be offered in a few bolt guns as well. Hopefully this OIC nonesense is lifted, and we can get out with the variety of rifles that will really shine in this caliber.

KGL

CGN frequent flyer
    That would be a lovely cartridge for a non-restricted semi-auto. I'll be optimistic and figure we get this OiC stricken, but be like the Isreali's and also proverbially 'take the Sinai' after being attacked without provocation! Get pushed and push back even harder and take more ground.

2 thumbs up for your thought process...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by avocado View Post
    Very close it looks like. 6.5 Grendel is the parent case, the shoulder has been pulled back 0.030" and the case has been shortened slightly from what google tells me.
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer todbartell's Avatar
    Hornady never disappoints

Very impressed with Hornady keeping with shooters demands....and usually with great options.

Great coyote/wolf cartridge. Hopefully we can get our laws back in order and be hunting again with our semis. I miss my slr riding in the passenger seat of my truck everyday at work.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast