Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New from Hornady - the 6mm ARC

Finally! I was about to venture into Fat Rat territory before SHTF..

This should save a lot of fire forming!

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Suther View Post
    Very close it looks like. 6.5 Grendel is the parent case, the shoulder has been pulled back 0.030" and the case has been shortened slightly from what google tells me.
    The predecessor of this was the 6mmAR i believe. But obviously a wildcat cartridge that came out too soon, ie. Pre gas gun PRS.

I feel like a 6mm/grendel/762x39 based AR cartridge has been way behind. This should have come out when 224valk did and 224valk should have just stayed home.imo.

CGN frequent flyer
    Oh good only 858 ft lbs of energy at 500 yards

Quote Originally Posted by Suther View Post
    Very close it looks like. 6.5 Grendel is the parent case, the shoulder has been pulled back 0.030" and the case has been shortened slightly from what google tells me.
    Hum, isn’t that just 6PPC... it’s like the Grendel has gone full circle back to where it started off...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Hum, isn’t that just 6PPC... it’s like the Grendel has gone full circle back to where it started off...
    Yeah...pretty much! But the PPC is pretty sweet :-). And it was usually chambered in slower twist barrels without much factory ammo availability in hunting bullets.

Seems like Hornady is taking handloading cartridge ideas, changing them a smidge, and then producing factory ammo. Which isn't entirely a bad thing.
    ***** FREE THE WEST *****

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Camp Cook's Avatar
    The 6.8spc beats it in every category
    <")))><

"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that" -movie "Shane" 1953

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Camp Cook View Post
    Except projectile selection, cost effectiveness and recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by Camp Cook View Post
    Your hand loading and accuracy experience with the SPC were definitely better than average. I actually bought an XCR with a 6.8 SPC barrel based on your experience. I was happy with it, but will give the 6 ARC a try if we get a chance. The different chambers in the SPC and rumors of some bolt problems didn’t help it that much either. I could see this flying, but give it only 50/50. As good as Hornady has been, the alternative AR-15 cartridge market is crowded and I don’t see anything becoming dominant. This has a better chance than anything else I suppose.

https://www.accurateshooter.com/cart...rtridge-guide/

respect to Hornady for trying new stuff, but the above discusses why 6.5 Grendel isn’t 6 Grendel. I’m super biased in favour of the 6.5, so maybe I just don’t see it.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Camp Cook's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 700-223 View Post
    Your hand loading and accuracy experience with the SPC were definitely better than average. I actually bought an XCR with a 6.8 SPC barrel based on your experience. I was happy with it, but will give the 6 ARC a try if we get a chance. The different chambers in the SPC and rumors of some bolt problems didn’t help it that much either. I could see this flying, but give it only 50/50. As good as Hornady has been, the alternative AR-15 cartridge market is crowded and I don’t see anything becoming dominant. This has a better chance than anything else I suppose.
    I sold my XCR-L with uppers in 223 and 6.8SPC a few months after Trudeau was elected but still have a 19" T/C Contender carbine barrel and a 22" factory tapered fluted barreled Rem 700 LTR (light tactical rifle) both in 6.8SPC I get excellent accuracy from both and with my 95gr TTSX loads 2900fps and 3000fps respectively I would not hesitate to take shots on deer when conditions are right of course out to 300 yards and coyotes out to 400 yards.

This is a leaning off the roof of my SUV shot was 320 yards you can see the copper coloured splat at 3 o'clock on the rock.

<")))><

"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that" -movie "Shane" 1953

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast