Page 84 of 109 FirstFirst ... 6474767778798081828384858687888990919294104 ... LastLast

Thread: MRA Renegade Rifles, Parts, and Kits now available

Could you please tell me the length of the handguard?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennisan View Post

Arrived today and was really easy to put together. Plan to take her out tomorrow to see how she shoots.

Fit and finish are great! Very happy with the quality of the product. With the Maxim Defense CCS stock, 10.5 inch barrel, and Warden it comes in at 27 inches... if it hasnt been mentioned already, the receiver is 7 3/4 inches long (excluding the barrel nut threads).

Notes:
    - Using Radian takedown pins I did notice some play between the upper and lower receivers, but this was resolved by using the supplied takedown pins.
    - if you are using a Geissele Handguard you are going to need to grind down the anti-rotation tabs
    - I really like how tight the magwell is while still accepting various metal and plastic mags without issue

Quote Originally Posted by Trapanese View Post
    That looks badass. What is the OAL without the Warden blast device? Does this count towards your 27 inch OAL?
    the muzzle device contributes of OAL. I was sitting at 24.5 without it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rgrabowski View Post
    Could you please tell me the length of the handguard?
    mk8 9.5" ... worked out perfectly :D

Hit the range earlier. Fun to shoot, but extraction takes some effort. Going to really clean up the chamber tonight and hope it is a little easier tomorrow :P

Thanks, do you think a 10 inch handguard would have enough clearance for the warden?

Do muzzle devices add to get to the legal OAL?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennisan View Post
    the muzzle device contributes of OAL. I was sitting at 24.5 without it.

mk8 9.5" ... worked out perfectly :D

Hit the range earlier. Fun to shoot, but extraction takes some effort. Going to really clean up the chamber tonight and hope it is a little easier tomorrow :P

Yes the oal is overall length in the shortest fireable state, muzzle devices count for that, they dont count for barrel length on semi autos
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
    - Sigmund Freud

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brian46's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sqr View Post
    It does for the 30 HRT/HAR so it will for the 30 AR Remington.
    Source that these conversions have been done on this design and work without issue?
    If it's either loud, obnoxious, fast, hated by the general population or any combination of these, I OWN IT!!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brian46's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tiriaq View Post
    You are supplying the barrel with its extension, and the bolt.
    The bolt locks into the barrel extension.
    Whether the bolt lockup is acceptable depends on the parts that you are supplying.

An ar bolt unlocks when fired. So with this straight pull design, is the unlocking mechanism going to withstand the increased chamber pressure or just let the bolt loose.

In an AR this is not a concern because the unlocking and rearward movement of the bolt upon firing is expected and buffered.

Forgive me for sounding stupid here, but there has been failure of other rifle straight pull designs resulting in serious injury when the bolt shoots rearward

I guess my question is, what prevents the camming action of the bolt when fired that would allow it to unlock and how strong is it?
    Last edited by Brian46; 10-25-2020 at 12:25 PM.
    If it's either loud, obnoxious, fast, hated by the general population or any combination of these, I OWN IT!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian46 View Post
    An ar bolt unlocks when fired. So with this straight pull design, is the unlocking mechanism going to withstand the increased chamber pressure or just let the bolt loose.

In an AR this is not a concern because the unlocking and rearward movement of the bolt upon firing is expected and buffered.

Forgive me for sounding stupid here, but there has been failure of other rifle straight pull designs resulting in serious injury when the bolt shoots rearward

I guess my question is, what prevents the camming action of the bolt when fired that would allow it to unlock and how strong is it?
    I think you can rest easy. In battery, the bolt is resting on the 7 locking lugs of the barrel extension. It will not unlock until you manually pull the charging handle backwards, camming open (via the cam pin, same as any modern sporting rifle) the rotating bolt to release from the locking lugs and allowing rearward travel of the bolt carrier. For a semi-auto MSR, it should be the same, the locking lugs will retain the bolt in battery upon being fired until the gas system cams open the bolt via direct impingement into the gas key forcing the bolt carrier rearward (as you would with the Renegade but with your hand). Granted there may be some extra pressure on the locking lugs as the carrier will remain in battery for the bullets entire cycle/burn through the barrel, but I don't think it would warrant anything excessive.

Now I think what you're alluding to is a failure of all the locking lugs, thereby allowing the bolt to move rearward unintentionally upon being fired? I don't think it should be an issue or danger, In the unlikely event that all 7 of those lugs break at once, you still have a carrier that is almost similar in weight to a full mass M16 BCG, which also has a buffer spring and weight behind it. Not to mention it would have to overcome those forces and punch through your aluminum buffer tube end plate and stock. Worst thing I see happening is the charging handle slaps your hand if you're holding the rifle improperly.

Just my opinion, worth what you paid for it, I am no engineer by any means

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Dmitri's Avatar
    Finally got my 12.5" barrel from BA in 6.5 grendel, this beast in now complete. Well almost, a Vortex Venom red dot is on the way to be installed on the 45 degree mount. Im also thinking of giving it some nice colorful battle worn finish with cerakote. Just need to decide on the colors..maybe bronze under black or perhaps orange under gray would look nice too.. i will keep you guys posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian46 View Post

This is a .277 without issues.

This is a 7.62x39 without issues.

I have another .30 caliber also without issues.
    CCFR — CSSA

Dmitri - very nice - BA = Ballistic advantage? Did you order direct from them or is there a source here in Canada?

Happy with the reliability and accuracy?

Never mind - I found a couple of Canadian dealers who carry them. I'm planning on a very similar build!
    Last edited by 700-223; 10-26-2020 at 11:53 AM.
    Support safe firearms ownership in Canada! Donate to legal challenges to the OIC and join the CCFR. Write or call your MP, Mendicino, or the PM. Take a Mapleseed course with a novice or take a friend to the range.

For sales on the EE, shipping to the majors included, payment by EMT, extra insurance at buyers discretion and expense. No trades unless mentioned in ad.