Page 26 of 109 FirstFirst ... 61618192021222324252627282930313233343646 ... LastLast

Thread: MRA Renegade Rifles, Parts, and Kits now available

To be non restricted semi automatics are required to have an 18.5” barrel by law, muzzle devices arent barrels so they dont count. Anything that is not semi automatic simply has to be longer than 26” with the stock collapsed or folded, no minimum barrel length on a manual action.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
    - Sigmund Freud

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywire1 View Post
    To be non restricted semi automatics are required to have an 18.5” barrel by law, muzzle devices arent barrels so they dont count. Anything that is not semi automatic simply has to be longer than 26” with the stock collapsed or folded, no minimum barrel length on a manual action.
    yes...i am aware of that 18.5" figure for semi auto.....my concern is that there is information going around that the muzzle device will count towards barrel length, when it cannot be used on semi auto's. it has always been my understanding that barrel length is measured to the crown of the barrel.....not to the end of whatever device, whether a brake, flash hider, or threaded cap, is attached to the barrel.
    if someone, or entity, is trying to say that adding a muzzle brake that is 2.5" to a 10.5" barrel will make it NR 26" with a collapsible stock fully collapsed, and that is false information....would it not be nice to know 100%
    hey....if i can somehow make my 10.5" barrel usable...i'm all for it....but i want to do it legally....not sketchy
    machinist, we do precision quess work based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge
    CCFR, CSSA, OFAH, CPC

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx0069 View Post
    i've seen that "quote" about the muzzle devices somewhere before, but i am skeptical unless i hear about it from other importers or manufacturers....seeing as a muzzle device does not count for barrel length in a semi auto rifle....why would they count it on a manual action rifle? honestly curious if this is a loophole.
    if that is in fact the case....i have a brake on my 10.5" .300 blackout barrel that is 2.3" long (58mm), i'd throw another crush washer under there if i can in fact use the brake length as actual barrel length to reach NR length with a collapsible stock.
    maybe Maple Ridge could chime in on what they know about barrel length with and with out a device.....what is legal, and what is not.
    It is against forum etiquette to post a direct link to another retailer's sub-forum, but if you do a search for an imported modular firearm that uses a pump action with a manufacturer beginning with the letter T on the forum, you should find the importing retailer's post. They inquired to allow them to import a folding stock variant of the firearm with a 16" barrel; they added a muzzle device specifically to bring the folded OAL of the firearm over 660 mm to allow it to remain unrestricted with the short barrel. They noted in their post that the device does not count towards the barrel length of a semi-automatic firearm for restricted status, but that has no bearing on manual action firearms.

CGN Regular
    There was talk earlier in the thread about OAL.

I have decided to go with a 10.5" Ballistic Advantage .300AAC barrel and a magpul MOE fixed carbine stock. I'd that is too short, a rifle stock will be used.

Those combined with the OAL length of the receiver of 7.7" should get me awful close to the 26".

That said, from what I have been told and what I have read, the 26" OAL only applies if that length is achieved by collapsable stock.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Dexter Morgan's Avatar
    yes...i am aware of that 18.5" figure for semi auto.....my concern is that there is information going around that the muzzle device will count towards barrel length, when it cannot be used on semi auto's. it has always been my understanding that barrel length is measured to the crown of the barrel.....not to the end of whatever device, whether a brake, flash hider, or threaded cap, is attached to the barrel.
    if someone, or entity, is trying to say that adding a muzzle brake that is 2.5" to a 10.5" barrel will make it NR 26" with a collapsible stock fully collapsed, and that is false information....would it not be nice to know 100%
    hey....if i can somehow make my 10.5" barrel usable...i'm all for it....but i want to do it legally....not sketchy
    Do you understand that "barrel length" and "overall length" are two completely different things?

As i said earlier, on a manual action firearm there is no minimum barrel length. If the reciever and the stock are long enough you could run a 2” barrel if you wanted to. To be non restricted, semi auto must have an 18.5” barrel by law and be over 26” in Overall length(OAL) a manual action, again by law, ONLY requires an overall length (OAL)of 26”, barrel length DOES NOT APPLY.

Because a semi requires a barrel length if 18.5”, muzzle devices do not count
    Because a manual action requires only an overall length of 26” muzzle devices do count.

Its NOT SKETCHY, NOR IS IT FALSE INFORMATION, it’s literally the law, not my personal interpretation of it
    Last edited by Haywire1; 07-26-2020 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Made it politer
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
    - Sigmund Freud

How do I pre-order this?

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    They noted in their post that the device does not count towards the barrel length of a semi-automatic firearm for restricted status, but that has no bearing on manual action firearms.
    Gotta love our incredibly stupid gun laws.
    Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote Originally Posted by STEELCITYSLICKER View Post
    That said, from what I have been told and what I have read, the 26" OAL only applies if that length is achieved by collapsable stock.
    I'm not sure what you mean. OAL of 26" is a condition of ALL firearms to be considered non-restricted at minimum. Regarding collapsible stocks, the rifle's OAL is measured with the stock collapsed at the shortest length. At long as the distance from that end of the stock to the other end of your rifle is 26" (technically 660mm), AND it is a manually-actuated firearm, you're good. It doesn't matter how long your stock is or how short your barrel is.

This is the same case for folding stocks. OAL of 26" must be reached with the stock FOLDED. That means in the case of the Renegade, you need at least a 16" barrel plus a muzzle device to reach minimum OAL.
    Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisselig View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean. OAL of 26" is a condition of ALL firearms to be considered non-restricted at minimum. Regarding collapsible stocks, the rifle's OAL is measured with the stock collapsed at the shortest length. At long as the distance from that end of the stock to the other end of your rifle is 26" (technically 660mm), AND it is a manually-actuated firearm, you're good. It doesn't matter how long your stock is or how short your barrel is.

This is the same case for folding stocks. OAL of 26" must be reached with the stock FOLDED. That means in the case of the Renegade, you need at least a 16" barrel plus a muzzle device to reach minimum OAL.
    If a manual action firearm can collapse to be less than 26", it would be considered "restricted".

A manual action firearm with a fixed stock, can be less than 26" and still stay non-restricted.

And I am not sure how you arrived at your claim of needing a 16" barrel + a muzzle device to reach overall length requirements.....
    Last edited by STEELCITYSLICKER; 07-27-2020 at 08:32 AM.