Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Be warned

I recently placed an order from a reputable Alberta online store on June 2. It's not WCHS. Fraudulent charges appeared on June 3 in Ontario and from QC on June 17th. I only found out as I signed online to find out where my statement was. I dont have the text notification option available for this credit card so I didnt catch these fraudulent charges. I really dont think it has to do with the online purchase although it does seem highly suspicious. I will let the credit card company security team deal with it.
    Safer buying from CGN'ers.

I just was checking my card this afternoon, I had 8 fraudulent transactions on the same day. The first was for a shawarma restaurant in London Ontario. That one went through. Then 7 more on canadiantire.ca for close to $10k.
    Looks like they tested the info out and once it worked went to town.
    That's why I always prefer to eat at the trustful restaurants, where I've been many times already, and where I know almost everyone from the staff. By the way, I've heard nice reviews about HUB restaurant near New Westminster where staff are all professionals of this industry, and where you can get pretty great menu, with plenty of nice options in it.
    Last edited by juniorz36; 10-18-2020 at 02:24 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer contact148's Avatar
    I had a visa cloned it was in my wallet I got a call at home (pre cell days) asking if i bought a car in Ireland I said no how can i be in Ireland if you called me at home.....

worst one was online gambling like $5500 usd I'm not religious I don't gamble as a fool and his money soon part, anyways I call in to dispute and visa says "everyone who loses money gambling says it wasn't them" I was thinking #### that's true so I threw out they only thing that I could think of I said Gambling is a sin she said OH! and reversed the charges right then

now I set my cards to text me for each purchase this way I know right away
    I helped turf Mark Holland
    Remember ONLY YOU can prevent firearms bans

This is the reason why ###### is there to secure e-commerce... they will proxy the payment using your ###### account and not disclose your CC details to stores that can accept their payments.

If you need to use your credit cards, contact the FI issuing it and ask if they would offer you SMS notifications for any purchase.
    You will be notified quickly of any transaction and have a considerable time window to react.

There are so many different points of compromise that can could lead to what has been described by the OP.
    The employee workstation might be compromised by malware, the website where payments are being entered, your phone, a malicious employee.... the list goes up and I don't plan to educate anyone over the topic.

In regarding the uber eats transactions.. this is likely someone checking if the stolen CC information works to verify if the transaction will work against controls are know to block fraudulent payments. (small amounts and same area codes)

Expect the heavy ones to come after these "low value testing transactions - e.g. uber eats" ... if you don't react quickly.

Be a good citizen and contact the store informing what is happening.
    The more victims do the same, the easier will be to identify where the problem is and you will also save yourself from any wrongdoing by informing law enforcement that you have become a victim of fraud.

Inform your FI and let they know your CC data was compromised, they will likely revoke your card number and issue a new one.. at no cost.
    Last edited by woodrod; 10-08-2020 at 02:12 AM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brocolt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by woodrod View Post
    This is the reason why ###### is there to secure e-commerce... they will proxy the payment using your ###### account and not disclose your CC details to stores that can accept their payments.

If you need to use your credit cards, contact the FI issuing it and ask if they would offer you SMS notifications for any purchase.
    You will be notified quickly of any transaction and have a considerable time window to react.

There are so many different points of compromise that can could lead to what has been described by the OP.
    The employee workstation might be compromised by malware, the website where payments are being entered, your phone, a malicious employee.... the list goes up and I don't plan to educate anyone over the topic.

In regarding the uber eats transactions.. this is likely someone checking if the stolen CC information works to verify if the transaction will work against controls are know to block fraudulent payments. (small amounts and same area codes)

Expect the heavy ones to come after these "low value testing transactions - e.g. uber eats" ... if you don't react quickly.

Be a good citizen and contact the store informing what is happening.
    The more victims do the same, the easier will be to identify where the problem is and you will also save yourself from any wrongdoing by informing law enforcement that you have become a victim of fraud.

Inform your FI and let they know your CC data was compromised, they will likely revoke your card number and issue a new one.. at no cost.

FYI ###### is antigun.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer FLYBYU44's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brocolt View Post
    FYI ###### is antigun.
    I also had someone hack my ###### account and go to town on Ebay, ###### didn't do a damn thing about it, and since I had linked my actual account to ######, my bank wouldn't do anything either. So I was on the hook for several hundred dollars in stereo equipment. That was the end of ###### for me, they are greasy to deal with, stay away.
    I like guns....

It happened to me with eBay. First eBay forced me to register with ######, both owned by the Tesla guy

so I got an email from eBay saying that I made a sale for the item I advertised. but I waited for 4 weeks but I still haven't received any payment so I contacted eBay and asked what happened and eBay replied that it was a scam. So I ignored it and did not send the item.

after about 3 months, eBay sent me a bill for selling the item which I never received any payment and confirmed by eBay that it was a scam. But charged my CC.

I cancelled my account with eBay. Do you know that eBay won't allow you to cancel your account, you need to wait 30 days.
    Last edited by Boltcarrier; 10-08-2020 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AMET View Post
    do all of you guys have TikTok installed on your mobile phones? i read somewhere there was a problem with people who had tiktok installed getting CC info taken....
    Why anyone would install Chinese state sponsered spyware, is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by Brocolt View Post
    FYI ###### is antigun.
    nothing new, but happy to hear a better way to secure your credit card info on e-commerce.

no rant here... I was providing general advice, but it sucks that firearms owners need to be exposed to online fraud because of this policy.
    The CCFR, CSAAA and NFA Canada should consider a class action if the amount of fraud justifies it.
    Last edited by woodrod; 10-08-2020 at 10:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FLYBYU44 View Post
    I also had someone hack my ###### account and go to town on Ebay, ###### didn't do a damn thing about it, and since I had linked my actual account to ######, my bank wouldn't do anything either. So I was on the hook for several hundred dollars in stereo equipment. That was the end of ###### for me, they are greasy to deal with, stay away.
    I hope you had enable 2FA.