Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: STI Combat Master 9MM now in stock

CGN Regular
    Damn that's a sexy pistol
    Member of the CCFR, CSSA, and Conservative Party. PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer rajczak_kashka's Avatar
    Most hand made customs are up in around this price. 5K not unreasonable for a firearm of this quality

I have one and here are my thoughts.

This is not an ideal gun for IPSC. Yes, it can shoot 9mm major, but .40 is what you want to be shooting unless you are just that good with 9mm vs the larger calibre. 3 gun, yea...that might be better suited. I don't compete, so this wasn't a factor for me. As for fitting in the box, with the smaller 126mm mags, it will fit in the box...but won't with the 140mm the gun comes with.

Value is kind of in the eyes of the beholder, but there are a few things to consider.

My standard DVC cost me $4500 tax in, and came with 1 mag. The Combat Master was an extra $1500, and comes with 3 extra mags (with buttplates), those are worth about $150 each, different sights, some slides and frame cuts, a bull barrel, skeletonized hammer, and a few small things here and there. Do those things add up to the extra $1500? Yes. Are they worth it to everyone? Probably not. And a run of the mill production Staccato XL costs more today than the Combat Master.

Do I like the gun? Yup. For what it is (and not gonna lie, the movie factor plays a part too), I like it.

I could turn around and sell it for exactly what I paid, so I'm not that fussed.

Like many that got into this sport, I started off buying cheaper guns, like the Norinco product from China. They are good work horses, but out of the box, they are kinda rough around the edges. Then I started to spend a bit more on the made in USA stuff. Definitely a step above the Chinese product. Now I've stepped up to STI, Bul Armory, and CZ etc. What I've learned is that you really do get what you pay for, and CZ is damn near impossible to beat dollar for dollar.

But to each their own! Happy shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by akira88 View Post
    I have one and here are my thoughts.

This is not an ideal gun for IPSC. Yes, it can shoot 9mm major, but .40 is what you want to be shooting unless you are just that good with 9mm vs the larger calibre. 3 gun, yea...that might be better suited. I don't compete, so this wasn't a factor for me. As for fitting in the box, with the smaller 126mm mags, it will fit in the box...but won't with the 140mm the gun comes with.
    9mm Major is not accepted in IPSC Standard Division as the minimum bullet diameter is .40cal. You would need to go to Open Division to score 9mm Major or shoot 9mm Minor in Standard.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123