Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Effect of firearms legislation on suicide and homicide in Canada from 1981 to 2016

Effect of firearms legislation on suicide and homicide in Canada from 1981 to 2016

Click HERE to Read Just Released Paper
    Last edited by CSC-Geoff; 06-18-2020 at 05:58 PM.
    Please email all requests for information on product availability/ordering to orders@theshootingcentre.com. Any prices quoted are only valid for 30 days from date of original posting. All firearm and ammunition sales subject to PAL verification.

CGN Regular SuperDeadlyAccountant's Avatar
    At first I thought, "great, another Fraser Institute study that everyone dismisses due to their right-wing bias".... But then I saw:

Caillin Langmann
    Roles Conceptualization, Data curation, Formal analysis, Funding acquisition, Investigation, Methodology, Project administration, Resources, Software, Supervision, Validation, Visualization, Writing – original draft, Writing – review & editing
    Affiliation Department of Medicine, Division of Emergency Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
    ORCID logo http://orcid.org/0000-0003-2358-2958

Competing Interests

The authors have declared that no competing interests exist. None of the authors are members of any organization other than the indicated University appointment at McMaster University Canada, as well as the Professional Organizations: Fellow of the Royal College of Medicine Canada and American Board of Emergency Medicine. There are no competing interests in this group.
    And was surprised. The study really puts a hole in the rhetoric.

Like always, the limitations of studies should always be known:

This study has several limitations. Data for suicide could not be disaggregated by age and Province/Territory due to small numbers, Statistics Canada could not release the data under confidentiality regulations, thus regional associations could not be analysed. Another issue is that firearm suicide and homicide are low base-rate events, and therefore changes in response to specific interventions may not have the statistical power necessary to resolve using regression models. Bias may also result from the misclassification of cause of death by coroners. While it is not possible to determine the number of accidental deaths misclassified as suicide or vice versa, the numbers of accidental deaths by firearms and suffocation per age category are in the low single digit ranges in data obtainable from Statistics Canada.
    You need guns to do righteous work, Ajay… for every gun is a bible, for every bullet… a sermon. And he said to them ‘God forth into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole of creation.’

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Juster's Avatar
    The paper assumes that association is causation. Factors other than legislation are at play. But they aren't actively lying, so they do have the facts.
    Instead of being troubled by what is really evil, people make a big fuss over what is merely conventionally evil. -Diogenes

... There was no association found with firearm prevalence rates per province and provincial suicide rates, but an increased association with suicide rates was found with rates of low income, increased unemployment
    and
    In conclusion, firearms legislation had no associated beneficial effect on overall suicide and homicide rates. Prevalence of firearms ownership was not associated with suicide rates.
    Bingo

Expect the author and this paper to be shredded starting any moment.

CGN frequent flyer
    From my own personal experience, people truly suicidal will do what ever it takes with whatever they have. A firearm is irrelevant...

^exactly this. I have seen people in this state, gun...bridge...carbon monoxide...pills. if someone wants to go they want to go. Method has no association with cause. Human beings have a right to control their own life or death, we have the legal right to assisted suicide. The only reason any government body would inquire or intervene.....loss of tax revenue.
    Names Ash.......Housewares
    "This is my boomstick"

While they may still proceed to attempt suicide, the act still can be reduced by limiting access to firearms.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Juster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by msal View Post
    While they may still proceed to attempt suicide, the act still can be reduced by limiting access to firearms.
    I think the point of the study was that this isn't the case, as far as statistics go.
    Instead of being troubled by what is really evil, people make a big fuss over what is merely conventionally evil. -Diogenes

I will stays where I'm at 'til you knows where I'm to
    Suicide should be way more legal regardless. Access to guns or not, suicide is near impossible to stop. What we can stop is the horrible ways in which some believe they should do it, or try and screw it up.
    CCFR
    Do it right THIS time, you may not get a NEXT time.
    "If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a veteran."

Quote Originally Posted by maifire View Post
    Suicide should be way more legal regardless. Access to guns or not, suicide is near impossible to stop. What we can stop is the horrible ways in which some believe they should do it, or try and screw it up.
    Making it a no big deal event, is likely not the best course of action.

I see where you are coming from...

There are some stats from Bridge jumpers...apparently quite a few instantly regretted jumping...but just managed to survive, and get a second chance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast