Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Rhineland Enfield and Mauser Conversions to .45 ACP

CGN Regular
    It won't eject on it's own?

on the enfield would not a 7.62 extractor work well enough on the 45ACP case, same case head.

If I was making my own I would look at cutting a slight slot in the bolt head and having a spring loaded ejector mounted on the magazine block.

I have some pictures somewhere of this sort of set up.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks that nothing is worth war, is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
    -- John Stuart Mill (1806 - 1873)

Super Moderator
    A slot in the bolt head would allow a spring loaded ejector to contact the case head. Ejector could be down in the mag. well, or extended through the left hand sidewall of the receiver.

oops that was a weird double
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks that nothing is worth war, is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Super Moderator
    Bolt heads are hard. Anneal and cut or I suppose a grinding disc could be used to cut an ejector slot.

Quote Originally Posted by tiriaq View Post
    Bolt heads are hard. Anneal and cut or I suppose a grinding disc could be used to cut an ejector slot.

Dremmel the hell out of it.... All my most nightmareish bubbaed enfields have been attacked with a dremmel wielded by a blind drunk monkey

I was thinking a carefully cut slot using a cut off disk would be the way to go

CGN Ultra frequent flyer cantom's Avatar
    It's not a super easy thing to deal with. But, it is essential if you want the shell to actually leave the receiver.

Grinding slots in the very hard bolt heads is not easy. Even for a mill it's not easy.

The original Special Interest Arms conversions came with a spring loaded plunger that was threaded through the left sidewall.

Since a loaded round of .45acp is about 1.250" long, the ejector should be about that distance back from the chamber.

I've also seen a couple done where they did put an ejector on the magazine adapter as was said.

Regarding ejection -- I'm mid-way through my own Rhineland .45 ACP conversion using a Lee-Enfield No. 4 action. After modifying the extractor and trigger guard/magwell as per Rhineland's instructions, I test fit the barrel and gave her a go using dummy rounds. She ejects surprisingly well. In fact, she ejected all the dummy rounds consistently except for the occasional hiccup with the last round. This accords with much of what I read on the Internet about this conversion.

LE No. 4 rifles do not use the ejector screw to eject empty casings in any event. That little screw sticking out the left side of the receiver was only designed to kick out unfired .303 cartridges. Instead, LE No. 4 rifles rely on friction between the empty casing and left inside wall of the receiver. Here is a great video that shows this principle in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jypkWqzUiZA.

I may at some point modify the magazine adapter to incorporate a spring loaded ejector to ensure 100% ejection for the last round. However, my testing to-date shows that the side-wall friction ejection principle works pretty well with this conversion kit. I'm not planning to make this my SHTF rifle, so I'm OK with a range toy that occasionally has to be manually canted slightly to the right to drop a non-ejected casing. I've yet to test the conversion with live ammo, so I'm not sure how it will react to ejecting unfired live rounds (which are heavier than dummy cartridges). Here is where I suspect the majority of ejection issue may appear. I'll post a follow-up one I get my converted rifle to the range for a full function check and a test firing.

My two cents.
    Last edited by pvtc; 10-16-2020 at 07:15 PM.
    I am RURAL= Rejecting Urban Revisionism And Liberalism

Any plans to import more of these kits?
    I love the smell of cosmoline in the morning

Uber Super GunNutz hunterhenderson's Avatar
    I would like one as well
    “Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth.”
    ― Albert Einstein