Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Rhineland Enfield and Mauser Conversions to .45 ACP

How difficult is the install for the Enfield kit?
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -Ben Franklin
    One cannot successfully legislate an object to control an action. QuickDraw16

Quote Originally Posted by QuickDraw16 View Post
    How difficult is the install for the Enfield kit?
    Based on the instructions, it shouldn't be any harder than rebarreling a savage. The hardest part is probably getting the old barrel off the action without breaking something.
    Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by 70m4h4wk View Post
    Based on the instructions, it shouldn't be any harder than rebarreling a savage. The hardest part is probably getting the old barrel off the action without breaking something.
    Easy peezy when ye use a lathe fitted with a parting blade to cut a shallow 3/16" deep trough around the barrel just ahead of the receiver to relieve the tension between the two parts. (0.015 -0.025" works good.) I then clamp the receiver in the vice (Padded with brass plates) and then undo the barrel using an antique
    hydrant wrench. Pipe wrench works fine as well.

It's great to see these adapter kits out in numbers again thanks to the good folks at Wolverine. Lots of fun to be had with the .45 ACP in a hefty little carbine.
    Tis' like shootin' a big pellet rifle, but one that dumps deer neatly enough inside 80 yds with hardcast boolits. A riot to use on grey squirrels, gophers & racoons
    to boot.

Dang, now I'm gettin' the urge to do up an LE in .50 AE as a single shot to add to the fun.
    Last edited by SHELL SHUCKER; 06-25-2020 at 09:46 PM.
    *LEAD* Still the best boolit material for huntin' & plinkin' for over 600 yrs.
    Shoot well & load better.

Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to care.

Quote Originally Posted by OkayShooter View Post
    I don't think that company is around anymore. But this barrel is attached differently, We need to make a custom longer barrel nut.
    I remember how SIA did there it was quite simple it’s too bad there not still in bussiness any longer I do remember though that there m4 style forends top rail lined up perfectly with there custom made scope rail it was a nice setup

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    I remember how SIA did there it was quite simple it’s too bad there not still in bussiness any longer I do remember though that there m4 style forends top rail lined up perfectly with there custom made scope rail it was a nice setup
    The setup the smith was trying for me. Was to use AR15 barrel nut, But due to how the adapter for the barrel on this setup is done. The nut is too short, so a custom nut would be needed to be made, but without having a handguard to use, wouldn't know the OD thread pitch.

For these kits, would be matter of making a new barrel nut.
    April 8th, remember 22 Bravo. Take a min to remember the Fallen.

Quote Originally Posted by SHELL SHUCKER View Post
    Easy peezy when ye use a lathe fitted with a parting blade to cut a shallow 3/16" deep trough around the barrel just ahead of the receiver to relieve the tension between the two parts. (0.015 -0.025" works good.) I then clamp the receiver in the vice (Padded with brass plates) and then undo the barrel using an antique
    hydrant wrench. Pipe wrench works fine as well.

It's great to see these adapter kits out in numbers again thanks to the good folks at Wolverine. Lots of fun to be had with the .45 ACP in a hefty little carbine.
    Tis' like shootin' a big pellet rifle, but one that dumps deer neatly enough inside 80 yds with hardcast boolits. A riot to use on grey squirrels, gophers & racoons
    to boot.

Dang, now I'm gettin' the urge to do up an LE in .50 AE as a single shot to add to the fun.
    Is it possible to do without a lathe?
    Do you have to make a relief cut ahead of the receiver?
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -Ben Franklin
    One cannot successfully legislate an object to control an action. QuickDraw16

You don't need a lathe, just a barrel vice and an action wrench. Soak it in some screw loose, and put a heat gun on it for a bit and it should come apart.
    Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary.

Super Moderator
    No. 4 barrels can be tight. Broke a scrapper loose with 600 ft-lbs or torque.
    If the barrel is junk, a relief groove can be cut with a hacksaw. Groove the barrel, protect the receiver.
    With a really good, properly fitted barrel vise and action wrench, a relief groove might not be necessary.
    In theory, a No. 4 barrel pulled up hand tight 14 degrees off top dead center, and were then torqued to index with 120 ft-lbs. That is more than most. Most barrels have been in place for 75 or more years.
    SMLE barrels are generally much easier to remove.

Quote Originally Posted by OkayShooter View Post
    The setup the smith was trying for me. Was to use AR15 barrel nut, But due to how the adapter for the barrel on this setup is done. The nut is too short, so a custom nut would be needed to be made, but without having a handguard to use, wouldn't know the OD thread pitch.

For these kits, would be matter of making a new barrel nut.
    SIA simply had a savage style barrel nut but the outside diameter was the same as the threads for an m4 upper receiver bang done seeing as there not in bussiness you would have to have a machine shop make a nut but really quite simple just need to know the specs and being one off part costly for most iam fortunate I have a very competent gunsmith/machinist about 8 minutes from my house that loves working with me on my out there projects

I have removed two enfield barrels using my lathe. Now I use a barrel vise and action wrench that I made and it works great. Even managed to get a barrel off that had a hidden screw that went through the receiver and into the chamber. It stripped the threads but I can chase the receiver threads and use it for something.
    Name:  20200603_205809.jpg
Views: 1012
Size:  88.8 KB
    Name:  20200528_200731.jpg
Views: 1008
Size:  78.4 KB