Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Factory screw stuck

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Travis Bickle's Avatar
    Extractor kit drill and counter bore bit. Use a small 1/4 Impact gun on the counter bore bit.
    Done.
    Guns only have two natural enemies; politicians and rust.

Quote Originally Posted by Potashminer View Post
    I have seen the "easy out" suggestion several times on these threads - do they actually make such a thing for using on a #6 or #8 screw?? A #6-48 uses a .120" tap drill, or thereabouts, so a hole for an easy out would need to be even smaller?
    ^^^This ^^^

A #6 screw is too small for easy outs or extractor or whatever. It's also too small for an impact gun or drill.

My hand force is sufficient to strip the head off the slot if I wanted. (BTW, Who T F uses slotted screws any more?)

Thank you for your suggestions...

Tapping, rubber band over driver, cardboard over driver, overnight penetrating oil, soldering iron to screw head, and various combinations of the above -- NONE worked. Damn screw seems welded in place.
    "There is always another way." - Kwai Chang Caine

“The trouble with practical jokes is that they often get elected.” - Will Rogers

CGN frequent flyer
    First, throw away the Remington and get a real gun. Seriously...do it...but to deal with these screws on these boat anchors, get the proper hollow ground bit the correct size. Hold the bit with a pair of pliers and insert it into screw head. Heat the bit with a torch to transfer heat to the screw. Let cool slightly then apply some kroil. Use a fair amount of downward pressure as you turn the screw. Remingtons are quite possibly the worst for this...among a pile of other things. They thread the screws in before putting that awful useless finish on them and basically glue them in. I am a gunsmith and remingtons lately are so much of a pain that I prefer to not deal with them.
    Last edited by mdbuckle; 07-09-2020 at 12:34 PM.

If it's the screw closest to the chamber it may have come in contact with the bolt at some time deforming the bottom of the screw. Try screwing it in to see if you can get any movement at all!

mdbuckle is correct in Remington putting out some world class junk these days. My last experience with an 5R Milspec factory gun that never should have passed QC has made up my mind if I want anything on a 700 action I will pay money for a custom action to get some attention to detail and quality!
    Last edited by Ajax148; 07-09-2020 at 11:57 AM.

FWIW I didn't buy the gun. Won it in a draw.

I've tried the heating method a couple of times and it didn't work.
    "There is always another way." - Kwai Chang Caine

“The trouble with practical jokes is that they often get elected.” - Will Rogers

CGN frequent flyer
    If that didn’t work than I think it may need a trip to a smith to look at it. May need to be drilled out and threads cleaned up and re-tapped...probably either cross threaded from factory or the black oxide finish glued it in permanently.

Heat it up.. Hot enough to melt wax. Stick a candle on it and it will lube the thread.
    Get a impact driver...

Brownell's sell counterbore bits.
    CCFR, NFA and CPC member.

... load one, skip one, load four...

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    Extractor kit drill and counter bore bit. Use a small 1/4 Impact gun on the counter bore bit.
    Done.
    Done this on a 8-32 stuck screw on a 1861 NAVY. Works well, no cosmetical or mechanical damage at all. Must be precise.
    CCFR, NFA and CPC member.

... load one, skip one, load four...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Dexter Morgan's Avatar
    Milling machine.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast