Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gun Safe Recommendation?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer trebor2880's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maelich View Post
    but I'd rather get something I can keep out of sight.

Good idea.

And the dollar stores have "Damp Traps", to reduce humidity in the safe to help prevent rust, if not fondled/oiled often.

GunNutz
    I bought a Hunter Brand , made in Hamilton, Ont. several years ago . The bigger model @ $1,400. Never regretted it .
    They have smaller models @ cheaper prices.

CGN Regular
    I don't want to hijack this thread, but I'm looking for a gun safe as well before I bring any firearms home. Locally available gun safes look quite flimsy being made of 14 gauge sheet metal and are quite expensive for what they are. Hunter Gun Vaults look much better, are not much more $$$, but the shipping cost drives the price quite a bit.

What I was thinking, is to buy a 14 gauge gun safe, and build a closet with a locking door around it. Building a 32" x 32" x 84" (or similar, built tight around the safe) closet around the safe would cost me less than shipping a better quality safe. Placing the safe behind another locked door would make it fair bit more difficults to access the safe, would make it more difficult to break in and would make it much more difficult to steal the whole safe.

I have hard time seeing myself owning more than 3-4 long guns, but if I plan for 10 long guns, I should be able to size the storage in the ball park. And even if I end up owning 10 long guns, I don't think I could justify buying a $10k safe, and I couldn't get it in my house anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by O.J View Post
    And even if I end up owning 10 long guns, I don't think I could justify buying a $10k safe, and I couldn't get it in my house anyway.
    I think when you pay over $10K for a safe (from a proper security/lock/safe company) they'll take care of getting it into your house for you!

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by merchmarine View Post
    I think when you pay over $10K for a safe (from a proper security/lock/safe company) they'll take care of getting it into your house for you!
    I'm sure they would. My house would have hard time handling 2000 lbs block of steel and concrete being moved in.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer FLHTCUI's Avatar
    Check out Canada Safe.com and then check out the safes from Crappy Tire (Stack-ON) or from Bass Pro/Cabelas.
    Then open your wallet and see how much money the wife or significant other will allow you to spend.
    Most guys with one to six guns are happy with a inexpensive stack-on locker style receptacle.
    Rob
    Infantryman Terry J Street,2nd Battalion, PPCLI, Shilo, Man. EOT, April 4 2008 Panjwayi District Afghanistan,Constable Jimmy Ng,RCMP EOW,Sunday, September 15, 2002

CGN Regular
    I built my own with 3.1/6 inch steel. you can throw it off the cn tower wont even bend. i get the fire rated and watewr proof thing,but i find if you build them with some air circulation in it theres no worry of rust. i kept mine a tad open around the door seam. I`ve built this 20 years ago and I`ve had some of my dads older rifles in there for over 20 years. i periodically give them a wipe , but never an issue with rust.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12