Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Easiest Way To Stay Up To Date With The Current OIC Related FRT Changes

CGN Regular
    In my opinion, a website like this does the average firearms owner no favours - in fact it does exactly the opposite in regards to the newly prohibited firearms not named in OIC. The Liberal government has published their list and the RCMP website directs you to check the actual OIC. There is no way for the average person to even check the FRT, and the RCMP themselves don't even suggest the average firearms owner should be familiar with it. All that these kinds of websites achieve for owners of unfairly reclassified firearms not named in OIC is eliminate some plausible deniability for law abiding firearms owners and do the RCMP's dirty work for them

Expried Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by metamatt View Post
    In my opinion, a website like this does the average firearms owner no favours - in fact it does exactly the opposite in regards to the newly prohibited firearms not named in OIC. The Liberal government has published their list and the RCMP website directs you to check the actual OIC. There is no way for the average person to even check the FRT, and the RCMP themselves don't even suggest the average firearms owner should be familiar with it. All that these kinds of websites achieve for owners of unfairly reclassified firearms not named in OIC is eliminate some plausible deniability for law abiding firearms owners and do the RCMP's dirty work for them
    This is simply posted as a resource for the community. We're not here to argue semantics, etc. - I'm pretty sure we're all on the same side with regard to the OIC, etc.

Unfortunately "Ignorance is Bliss" is not a viable defense and does not afford one "plausible deniability" should you end up in court. This table is based off RCMP actions and decisions that have already happened and are apparently still happening.

It behooves members of the shooting sports community to stay informed during these confusing times. This table will help you do just that. The resource is available, it's your decision to use it or not.

Stay safe out there folks.

Cheers.
    Last edited by WanstallsOnline; 07-11-2020 at 05:31 PM.

Thank you very much for this resource! I've heard (not sure the complete accuracy), the RCMP and Feds are still adding guns to the list, but not providing updates to the public until well after they do so. Hopefully this website is able to update the banned firearms in real time or close to it. In the very least I'm sure it will save me time searching for myself, though I guess I should be double checking with the official source anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Youzawhale View Post
    The OIC already states very clearly which guns are banned by name. The list is in alphabetical order. Its not that difficult to browse through it via the PDF.
    I don't see an absolute need to make that redundant on armalytics. Would be a nice feature for simplicity sure, but its not a big deal.
    the OIC states that all AR15's, variant of AR15s, and modified versions of the AR15 are prohibited. (note the modified term is new, previous law was only variant)

then listed SOME examples. there is no way to list them all.

then the following month rcmp firearms lab technicians updated the FRT with their opinions of what was an ar15, variant, or moddied ar15. yes their opinions are not law.

but it's what the RCMP will use to arrest and charge you. and then you'll be infront of a judge. only they can decide what the law says. however they will be listening to an RCMP firearms lab technician in the courtroom. the one who's opinion created the FRT. and then a judge decides if you as an everyday firearms owner, or an RCMP firearms lab technician is more creditable as to what a firearm should be declared as.

so yes. people should have access to the FRT. and then they can choose if they want to risk that courtroom fight or not.

Quote Originally Posted by hinks View Post
    Thank you very much for this resource! I've heard (not sure the complete accuracy), the RCMP and Feds are still adding guns to the list, but not providing updates to the public until well after they do so. Hopefully this website is able to update the banned firearms in real time or close to it. In the very least I'm sure it will save me time searching for myself, though I guess I should be double checking with the official source anyway.
    it's not real time. it's a week or so delayed.

Quote Originally Posted by scott View Post
    it's not real time. it's a week or so delayed.
    Good to know, thanks!

Ya I saw on the website it says "Data is sourced from the Firearms Reference Table (Public Version) as authored by the RCMP and made available on their website. Updates to the RCMP document are usually reflected on armalytics.ca within 24hr and tagged with the Valid As Of Date property."

Expried Business Member
    Closing this thread folks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12