Thread: Question about sight picture and adjustment

Question about sight picture and adjustment

Hi all,

I spent my first day on the range as a new shooter today. I was using a Belgian Browning semi-auto 22LR (first time I've ever fired it) with iron sights, from a bench, from 25 yards with CCI standard velocity 40gr. I've read through Jack O'Conners 'Seven-Lesson Rifle Shooting Course' a few times and watched a bunch of Youtube videos, so I guess I've got a general idea of what I'm supposed to be doing. It was a good experience and I learned a lot, but I walked away with a couple questions I figured I would ask to the CGN crowd.

Sight picture: I didn't have much trouble with sight alignment. I was able to put the front bead in the middle of the rear "V" fairly easily. What I did have trouble with through is focusing on the front sight. At times the front bead was crystal clear, and I understood what people meant about the rear sights "disappearing". When I was able to do this my groups really tightened up (see the one pictured). Quite often though my eyes would have trouble focusing properly, sometimes to the point of having to look away from the sights completely (e.g. at the backstop) to "reset" my eyes so I could focus on the front sight again. I wear glasses and have a astigmatism. My eyes feel like they got a workout today. Will this get better with practice?

Adjusting the sights: When I received my rifle in the mail, Canada Post had mishandled it to the point that, save for some duct-tape, the barrel and front sight of the rifle was practically sticking out of the box. I found that the rifle was shooting high and to the left (see other picture). When I aimed at around 5-o'-clock (or 120 degrees), I was able to hit near the centre of the target. The front sight is adjustable for windage and the rear for elevation. I've already got the elevation as far back as it will go, and according to the manual this should be good for "up to 55 yards". From what I understand, this means I should adjust the front sight to the right, and instead of aiming at the base of the bullseye should aim a little bit lower so I hit dead centre?

Also, just wanted to say I've found this forum a really good resource, especially the book recommendation thread

Move your front sight in
    the opposite direction you want your bullet to go. You want to move your front sight to the left.
    Ignore you rights..........and they will go away

Ah, okay! I think I understand now. So in general you move the rear sight in the direction you want to shift the point of impact, and the front sight in the opposite direction.

You got it
    Ignore you rights..........and they will go away