Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Savage AXIS II Precision series rifles just landed

I just picked up the 223 version from Tenda a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately, I haven't been out to shoot it yet. Hopefully this coming weekend. Just put a scope on it and a Colonel Mustard wide muzzle brake. Looks good. Hopefully it shoots well.

Quote Originally Posted by Screamin-D View Post
    I just picked up the 223 version from Tenda a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately, I haven't been out to shoot it yet. Hopefully this coming weekend. Just put a scope on it and a Colonel Mustard wide muzzle brake. Looks good. Hopefully it shoots well.
    This is the rifle i`m considering. Please let us know what you think after you put a few rounds through it. Thanks!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipester View Post
    Where is the 3-9x40 Bushnell that they bolt onto every axis 2? I demand $99 discount to make up for it. Joking aside, I like savage. I will consider one of these when they go on sale for $799.
    Hey now! The Axis 2 comes with a weaver kaspa scope, the Bushnell comes on the regular axis.

Quote Originally Posted by colddjinn View Post
    This is the rifle i`m considering. Please let us know what you think after you put a few rounds through it. Thanks!
    Oh the axis can shoot. Mine is sub-moa with almost every reload I've tried in it, and it's just a regular bare bones axis, no heavy barrel or fancy stock. The biggest complaint I have is the heavy bolt lift - it takes quite a bit of force to get the bolt up and cocked, more force than any other bolt action I own or owned, which makes it hard to stay behind the scope while cycling the bolt.
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Suther View Post
    Oh the axis can shoot. Mine is sub-moa with almost every reload I've tried in it, and it's just a regular bare bones axis, no heavy barrel or fancy stock. The biggest complaint I have is the heavy bolt lift - it takes quite a bit of force to get the bolt up and cocked, more force than any other bolt action I own or owned, which makes it hard to stay behind the scope while cycling the bolt.
    Should we look at trimming the firing pin spring?
    "The stuff comes and goes. Just buy it cheap and stack it deep." - CGN member gushulak on ammo
    "If you're limp wristing you aren't hitting anything anyway so it makes no difference if the gun fails." - CGN member Kidd X on Glocks

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adamg View Post
    Should we look at trimming the firing pin spring?
    Do that and you'll more than likely end up with light primer strikes. My rifle is in 270win, and if fires factory ammo without issue but my reloads with CCI primers gave me issues. Switched to federal primers and it goes bang every time. (CCI primers are known to be harder than others, while Federal are generally considered the softest available). Sadly there doesn't seem to be a good fix for this issue, or at least I haven't found one. (its also been 2 or 3 years since I looked for one though, I just learned to live with it. Not really a big deal for a hunting rifle where the first shot has always done the job for me, but it would definitely be an issue on a competition gun IMO)

Unlike the Savage model 10, there is no way to adjust firing pin protrusion either.

Edit - I just noticed the calibers this is available in. Really? No 6/6.5CM, no 260rem, really none of the rounds that are popular in this style rifle these days! I guess some people still like 243win and 308win, but I bet a 6.5CM would sell better than both of those combined! I'm sure the 270win ones will sell like hotcakes though! lol
    Last edited by Suther; 07-15-2020 at 02:58 PM.
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

It does come in 6.5CM. Just get it from a reputable dealer, not tenda.

The biggest complaint I have is the heavy bolt lift - it takes quite a bit of force to get the bolt up and cocked, more force than any other bolt action I own or owned, which makes it hard to stay behind the scope while cycling the bolt.
    This I have noticed while checking it out and cleaning it. When empty, I really had to "hit it" to get the bolt up to open it. When I put a couple of snap caps in the magazine and chambered them and extracted them, it seemed a little easier, but still needed more umph than my Savage B22 bolt action needs (that I could do with my pinky finger). But it is new and haven't shot it yet. Hopefully on Sunday and after some rounds maybe it'll loosen up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipester View Post
    It does come in 6.5CM. Just get it from a reputable dealer, not tenda.
    It does? Why wouldn’t they advertise that. I’m pretty sure they would sell more 6.5 Creedmoors over the 223.
    [/URL][/IMG]

CGN Regular
    Do that and you'll more than likely end up with light primer strikes. My rifle is in 270win, and if fires factory ammo without issue but my reloads with CCI primers gave me issues. Switched to federal primers and it goes bang every time. (CCI primers are known to be harder than others, while Federal are generally considered the softest available). Sadly there doesn't seem to be a good fix for this issue, or at least I haven't found one. (its also been 2 or 3 years since I looked for one though, I just learned to live with it. Not really a big deal for a hunting rifle where the first shot has always done the job for me, but it would definitely be an issue on a competition gun IMO)

Unlike the Savage model 10, there is no way to adjust firing pin protrusion either.

Edit - I just noticed the calibers this is available in. Really? No 6/6.5CM, no 260rem, really none of the rounds that are popular in this style rifle these days! I guess some people still like 243win and 308win, but I bet a 6.5CM would sell better than both of those combined! I'm sure the 270win ones will sell like hotcakes though! lol
    Suther,

My friend bought the Axis as his first bolt target gun and bought 10 boxes of Aquila .308s. Lots of light primer strikes and frustrated him. So he bought himself a Tikka T3x A1 Tactical going from a $350 gun to a $3500 scoped gun. He gave the Axis to my 15 year old who took it all apart. Lots of crud inside the bolt which was cleaned off. We have shot 150+ rounds of LC FMJs, misc factory ammo and reloads with CCI primers. No more light strikes. Nice little gun which my son will use as his primary hunting rifle. Only complain is the stock. Recoil felt is equivalent to my 7mm Rem Browning A Bolt. With the FMJs its even harder. I also have a 30 year old sporter VZ24 in a unknown synthetic stock which has less recoil.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    I did some dry fire with my Savage 110 Elite Precision 223 last night, paying attention to bolt lift. I'm still somewhat new to the world of bolt actions, but I would not declare this bolt heavy to lift after pulling the trigger. I don't think it is any heavier than my T1x or RPR in 22lr or 17hmr or 223. I felt like I was able to run it fast while staying on the comb and looking through the scope.
    Last edited by adamg; 07-16-2020 at 02:08 PM.
    "The stuff comes and goes. Just buy it cheap and stack it deep." - CGN member gushulak on ammo
    "If you're limp wristing you aren't hitting anything anyway so it makes no difference if the gun fails." - CGN member Kidd X on Glocks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast