Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Savage AXIS II Precision series rifles just landed

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew28 View Post
    Suther,

My friend bought the Axis as his first bolt target gun and bought 10 boxes of Aquila .308s. Lots of light primer strikes and frustrated him. So he bought himself a Tikka T3x A1 Tactical going from a $350 gun to a $3500 scoped gun. He gave the Axis to my 15 year old who took it all apart. Lots of crud inside the bolt which was cleaned off. We have shot 150+ rounds of LC FMJs, misc factory ammo and reloads with CCI primers. No more light strikes. Nice little gun which my son will use as his primary hunting rifle. Only complain is the stock. Recoil felt is equivalent to my 7mm Rem Browning A Bolt. With the FMJs its even harder. I also have a 30 year old sporter VZ24 in a unknown synthetic stock which has less recoil.
    Glad you were able to fix the light strikes. Cleaning the bolt didn't help mine though. I even deprimed a few of the rounds that didn't go off with the CCI primers and whacked the primers with a hammer, they went off just fine so it wasn't a bad batch of primers...

Is your Abolt in a wood stock by chance? The Axis is a pretty darn light rifle - weighs under 6.5lbs without an optic, and mine comes in just over 8lbs with a scope, sling and 4 rds in the magazine.

I would highly recommend epoxying the trigger guard in place with the factory stock. It really helps stiffen up the wrist area.

Quote Originally Posted by adamg View Post
    I did some dry fire with my Savage 110 Elite Precision 223 last night, paying attention to bolt life. I'm still somewhat new to the world of bolt actions, but I would not declare this bolt heavy to lift after pulling the trigger. I don't think it is any heavier than my T1x or RPR in 22lr or 17hmr or 223. I felt like I was able to run it fast while staying on the comb and looking through the scope.
    The Savage 110 action is entirely different from the Axis.
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

CGN frequent flyer Somerset Bar's Avatar
    I've owned 2 Savage 110s and 2 Savage Axis IIs (.223 and 7.62x39).

Light primer strikes. The axis II design has some problem with primers. I've witnessed it, and heard about it over and over. When I sold my first Axis here on gunnutz I had to buy and send the guy a replacement bolt, because savage claims "we've never heard of any issues with light primers before". I'll never in a million years own another axis (and I have nothing against savage).

I LOVE my 110s. Just personal experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Somerset Bar View Post
    I've owned 2 Savage 110s and 2 Savage Axis IIs (.223 and 7.62x39).

Light primer strikes. The axis II design has some problem with primers. I've witnessed it, and heard about it over and over. When I sold my first Axis here on gunnutz I had to buy and send the guy a replacement bolt, because savage claims "we've never heard of any issues with light primers before". I'll never in a million years own another axis (and I have nothing against savage).

I LOVE my 110s. Just personal experience.
    I've never personally seen light strikes on factory ammo, but I've seen reloads have issues in two different rifles. Its certainly an issue, and if the only option to fix it is putting in a heavier spring which will just make the bolt lift even worse. I hear the 762x39 guns have issues with some of the cheap ammo, whether surplus or stuff like barnaul or wolf, but I have never had the chance to shoot one.
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

CGN frequent flyer Somerset Bar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Suther View Post
    I've never personally seen light strikes on factory ammo, but I've seen reloads have issues in two different rifles. Its certainly an issue, and if the only option to fix it is putting in a heavier spring which will just make the bolt lift even worse. I hear the 762x39 guns have issues with some of the cheap ammo, whether surplus or stuff like barnaul or wolf, but I have never had the chance to shoot one.

I had issues with federal ammo, S&B ammo, never did shoot any surplus (I have all the components for reloading it), and even winchester primers. I started using just cci primers and it seemed to take care of the issue, but once I realized it wasn't a one-off problem with one rifle, I decided just to keep away from them. Well that and I couldn't get that .223 to group well at all, but to be fair I only put 55gr bullets through it. Too bad the price point vs quality was fine, the stocks were a bit flimsy at the comb, and now that I think of it the magazine on the .223 needed tweaking. Ugh I don't want to sound like I'm bashing on them...lol

Quote Originally Posted by Somerset Bar View Post
    I had issues with federal ammo, S&B ammo, never did shoot any surplus (I have all the components for reloading it), and even winchester primers. I started using just cci primers and it seemed to take care of the issue, but once I realized it wasn't a one-off problem with one rifle, I decided just to keep away from them. Well that and I couldn't get that .223 to group well at all, but to be fair I only put 55gr bullets through it. Too bad the price point vs quality was fine, the stocks were a bit flimsy at the comb, and now that I think of it the magazine on the .223 needed tweaking. Ugh I don't want to sound like I'm bashing on them...lol
    I'm shocked to hear you couldn't get it to shoot. Thats the one thing that every Axis I've laid hands on could do well. Mine in 270win routinely does MOA or better, and both of my friends' guns in 3006 are 1.5MOA guns with cheap Federal Bluebox/Winchester SuperX ammo.

CGN Regular
    Suther,

A-Bolt is synthetic stock. With 150 gr, you hardly feel anything but with 175 gr, you will feel it. I don't usually shoot more than 15 rounds on the bench with 175 gr.

I will definitely try your epoxy tip. Thanks

I tried my Axis II Precision on Sunday at the range. Tried 20 rounds of "cheap" American eagle Tactical 55gn and 20 rounds American eagle 62gn. I had one misfire on the AET (firing pin divot looked the same as the others, so I don't think it was a light strike, but I'm no expert). Tried that one round again, but no go. No issues with any other rounds. Grouping wasn't very good with that ammo at 25yrds (initial scope sighting distance). Got the grouping down to about 1/2" with the AE 62gn @ 25y. Saved 5 of the AET and 10 of the AE 62gn for 100y. AeT was used for sighting. My grouping of the 62gn was not very good, but that's on me. First time shooting "precision & long distance), so I know I have a lot of practice and learning to do. I think the rifle performed well and had no issues with the bolt. Now on to developing my own loads for it.

I have a fantastically accurate Savage Axis XP replaced the scope with a Kaspa Weaver 2-7x32 5 shots under MOA at 200 yards. Owned this one for about two years and have just over 2,000 rounds of which 60 were factory rounds.

Recent borescope shows little to none throat wear - no allagator skin cracks anywhere - the button riffled barrel has started to wear away (I can see them using the borescope) I did replace the extractor spring thingy around 600 rounds no ejection issues.

Would I spend $1k on an Axis short answer is no - once the barrel wears away on this one - I will replace it with a factory take off barrel or go custom as a last resort - but honestly if my accuracy falls to a 5 inch group at 200 yards (5 shots) it will still be good for Coyote Hunting.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer unstableryan's Avatar
    I have an axis .223 and an axis 2 in .243. the .223 is a few moa gun and the .243 is a sub moa gun.oh well.

I have a Savage Axis II in .223 and it gives me light primer strikes. I took it to a gun smith and he told me that this model is known for that problem (short action, 2 piece spring design). He changed out the spring to a stiffer part but the light primer strikes still came back again. Go and buy a better action in model 10, 110, or 12. If you do a google search on Savage Axis II and light primer strikes there quite a lot of threads on this issue.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123