Page 59 of 118 FirstFirst ... 394951525354555657585960616263646566676979 ... LastLast

Thread: What gun should Henry make next?

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by old303 View Post
    And that's the issue. You can specify FLAT-NOSE 9MM until you're blue in the face and you just know that some yobs are going to use regular ammo and some lawyer is only too eager to take everyone's money. Any sort of ammo that isn't already normally flat-nosed is a non-starter in a tube-magazine design.

Meanwhile, you've got people wanting a detached-magazine lever gun, especially for a truck gun so you can go from totally safe and unloaded to fully-loaded in one quick easy clunk, or unload almost as easily and not have to cycle all remaining rounds through the chamber. I think that covering the 9mm/45 ACP/10mm/40 S&W calibers along with a detachable (1911, by preference) magazine is sensible, and continue with the traditional revolver/lever calibres in tubular-magazine lever guns.
    The only factory ammo available for many levers is RN. I think people are overestimating the crushing recoil of the mighty 9mm... I think as long as Henry can keep the carbine weight over about 1/2 pound, all the RN stuff should be fine! Don't forget, Marlin and Winchester sold a lot of .219 Zippers, and if you look at old 30-30 Accelerators, there was nothing flat nose about those bullets. Recoiled quite a bit more than a 9mm carbine would, as well.

But I truly believe that using a popular pistol mag with a short throw lever is the way to go.

Something in 9mm is a good idea, a single is good but a lever action in 9mm could have two options tube fed or like the Long Ranger ( ... Short Ranger??? :-) ) it will use a magazine, perhaps an existing handgun mag. IF using an existing mag like a Colt, Glock or SIG works with the levers swing etc then other calibres could be tried. It might have to be a smaller capacity mag or perhaps the profile will allow something like the ridiculous drum mags... :-) I am looking at some of the Ads while typing and they show AR type rifles, in markets where semi's are frowned on you could go "AR" with the stock and handgrip in black, "a complement to your handgun that uses the same ammo" etc.

The one that would appeal most to me is a single shot with a longer barrel, maybe not to the length of some of the old Sharpes barrels .... or maybe that long IF it can be done well for accuracy and for the right price range. IF it gains some traction then brass and octagonal or fluted barrels could make interesting visual appeal. I like iron sights but it must be tapped for a scope of course.
    "All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke
    "Truth eludes us if we do not pursue it with constant attention." Alex. Solzhenitsyn "Science shows that God exists." Prof. D. Barton Nobel Prize Chemistry

Quote Originally Posted by tactical lever View Post
    Hmm... if only there was some way to speed load from the bottom! And a way to placate the nervous Nellys who would worry about the (inconsequential) recoil of a 9mm setting off a chain fire. I think I'll need to examine the Long Ranger, and a BLR. The answer will come to me shortly, I'm sure!
    I'm sure you will be immediately offered a position to assist with liability concerns.

I considered detachable magazine, but even with BLR style the .223 holds only 5 with a similar size base. Then I thought rotary style, but it would be too wide. IMO you need at least 10 shot capacity to appeal to cowboy action shooters. Not sure how to get a 10 shot detachable magazine without a large part of the magazine sticking out of the bottom and doing so would ruin the classic lever action lines.

Thinking something like:

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Consults View Post
    Something in 9mm is a good idea, a single is good but a lever action in 9mm could have two options tube fed or like the Long Ranger ( ... Short Ranger??? :-) ) it will use a magazine, perhaps an existing handgun mag. IF using an existing mag like a Colt, Glock or SIG works with the levers swing etc then other calibres could be tried. It might have to be a smaller capacity mag or perhaps the profile will allow something like the ridiculous drum mags... :-) I am looking at some of the Ads while typing and they show AR type rifles, in markets where semi's are frowned on you could go "AR" with the stock and handgrip in black, "a complement to your handgun that uses the same ammo" etc.

The one that would appeal most to me is a single shot with a longer barrel, maybe not to the length of some of the old Sharpes barrels .... or maybe that long IF it can be done well for accuracy and for the right price range. IF it gains some traction then brass and octagonal or fluted barrels could make interesting visual appeal. I like iron sights but it must be tapped for a scope of course.
    There is such a thing as short stroke levers; so I wouldn't view that as an obstacle. A short stroke would be a good fit for a short pistol round.

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by 1899 View Post
    I'm sure you will be immediately offered a position to assist with liability concerns.

I considered detachable magazine, but even with BLR style the .223 holds only 5 with a similar size base. Then I thought rotary style, but it would be too wide. IMO you need at least 10 shot capacity to appeal to cowboy action shooters. Not sure how to get a 10 shot detachable magazine without a large part of the magazine sticking out of the bottom and doing so would ruin the classic lever action lines.

Thinking something like:

I've addressed ammo in tubular magazines several times. I've done the math, and calculated recoil energy and velocity also. Not sure what other compelling evidence I need to come up with. Maybe I need to do some test firing and post some pictures.

I don't believe the gun would have much of a cowboy action following. It's a good thought, but a big part of cowboy action is the dress and a degree of authenticity. Small-ish market that is well covered with a plethora of current options. Well, a couple of manufacturers anyway...

As for styling, Savage, and Browning eschewed classic styling for decades. I don't consider the BLR to be particularly attractive, but it seems to do well. I think with well thought out finish options, a blacked out or grey pistol mag lever action could end up looking pretty neat.

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by 1899 View Post

Thinking something like:

Can't see the videos, but I think the second one is for the Danger Noodle? Can't find the first one the same way. Kind of cool.

Some people don't like the .22 style tube loading, but I've come to appreciate it for the pistol cartridges, especially when it's time to unload.

Lever Action like your current 223 Long Ranger, except:
    - Takes AR Mags
    - MLOK Handguard
    - Threaded Barrel (maybe a light or heavy fluted barrel?)
    - Cerakoted receiver and barrel, make the handguard and stock black/matching?
    - Full length upper rail

Maybe a Brass/Nickel Heirloom version as well with 'RIP OIC May 1, 2020' engraving!

Maybe a 308 version as well? I know I got a ton of useless 308 SR25 style mags now too lol, not sure if everyone else does with all those BCL/Stags/XCRs owners that got screwed over.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer kodiakjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tactical lever View Post
    Hmm... if only there was some way to speed load from the bottom! And a way to placate the nervous Nellys who would worry about the (inconsequential) recoil of a 9mm setting off a chain fire. I think I'll need to examine the Long Ranger, and a BLR. The answer will come to me shortly, I'm sure!

While I can appreciate the practicality of detachable pistol mags, I think you’re barking up the wrong tr... er, company. Such meanderings from classic designs are more so the wheelhouse of companies like Mossberg, or Taurus/Rossi.

To me, Henry Rifles (more than most) have a traditional style that defines them, and sets them apart. I think when buying a Henry, a customer puts more weight on the style and aesthetics than pretty much any other new rifle. Function and ergonomics lead the charge for most companies, but Henry sets themselves apart by sticking to that classic style.

In my opinion, you can’t have “classic lever style” without a tube mag under the barrel:

The mag fed offerings just don’t look the part. ESPECIALLY if they had a pistol mag dangling down out of them.

I don’t have the technical prowess to confirm it, but I expect the validation of that opinion lies in Henry’s sales numbers of the Long Ranger, compared to any of their more classically styled levers.

Mossberg already makes your namesake Tactical Lever... I think a dangling Glock mag would feel right at home here...

The Bee does not squander his time trying to explain to the Fly why honey is better than s**t. Each creature is content with the meal laid before them, so the Bee reserves his endeavor for those who know its worth.

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by kodiakjack View Post
    While I can appreciate the practicality of detachable pistol mags, I think you’re barking up the wrong tr... er, company. Such meanderings from classic designs are more so the wheelhouse of companies like Mossberg, or Taurus/Rossi.

To me, Henry Rifles (more than most) have a traditional style that defines them, and sets them apart. I think when buying a Henry, a customer puts more weight on the style and aesthetics than pretty much any other new rifle. Function and ergonomics lead the charge for most companies, but Henry sets themselves apart by sticking to that classic style.

In my opinion, you can’t have “classic lever style” without a tube mag under the barrel:

The mag fed offerings just don’t look the part. ESPECIALLY if they had a pistol mag dangling down out of them.

I don’t have the technical prowess to confirm it, but I expect the validation of that opinion lies in Henry’s sales numbers of the Long Ranger, compared to any of their more classically styled levers.

Mossberg already makes your namesake Tactical Lever... I think a dangling Glock mag would feel right at home here...

I don't know; wasn't very long ago that Mr. Imperato said that Henry would never made a side gate. Now they have the Long Ranger! That's progress, and realizing there is a market and acting on it. Nobody is suggesting that they replace their current line up; but if there is room for the black "X" model, why not something else?

Look at Ruger. They never had a 1911, or an AR until they decided to. Didn't take away from the #1.

That Mossberg is hideous.... I know Henry can do a cool mag fed.

Cool

Oh that is about what I expected ... yuck .... but some will like it. I'll stick with my Savage 99 or Long ranger in wood! I can see some usefulness at being able to shorten the stock or not worry about wood dents but ... the whole mad max look...

The Long Ranger sells and I think a pistol calibre (short ranger) with the short stroke, as mentioned above, and a mag (** Tube is ok too but I will argue mag here) would be something different in the market and get around the semi-auto issues. It should have a small mag for hunting and the visual/functional profile supplemented with a longer mag for ??? should appeal. The only tube fed that I have kept for any length of time is the Remington speedmaster 22, it has incredible accuracy but a magazine offers much more flexibility and ease of use. Depending on my mood in the fall there may be a Marlin 44 for sale because although the tube feeds have a visual appeal but personally I just find them unappealing for practical use except if I am target shooting (when you use the whole tube).

New idea:
    With all the 6.5x55 and 7.5 coming into the market a Long Ranger in 6.5X55 would be interesting to many I think given the accuracy and low recoil.

NOTE:
    The long barrel single shot is still my preferred idea though.
    Last edited by Consults; 08-04-2020 at 12:19 PM.
    "All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke
    "Truth eludes us if we do not pursue it with constant attention." Alex. Solzhenitsyn "Science shows that God exists." Prof. D. Barton Nobel Prize Chemistry