Page 61 of 118 FirstFirst ... 415153545556575859606162636465666768697181 ... LastLast

Thread: What gun should Henry make next?

CGN Regular
    Id also like a kit to convert my current Survival rifle to a pistol (grip & short barrel). It would be cool if you also offered a full package that had a modified stock that would act as the pistol holster. Basically going for a modern survival C96 Mauser look.

a mini Cannon! 7 lbs, 9-12 inch .40-.50 cal
    Owen

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by jjohnwm View Post
    Cite any references? Not saying (out loud) that sounds like BS, but...
    Quote Originally Posted by kodiakjack View Post
    Hmm.
    [Youtube]NeJmOxIklDc[/youtube]
    Karl from InrangeTV has had a carbine detonate while loading the tube mag because he just dropped them down the tube instead of inclining it like Tactical Lever said in post #599.
    If you're going through hell, keep going.

Quote Originally Posted by SCDL View Post
    Karl from InrangeTV has had a carbine detonate while loading the tube mag because he just dropped them down the tube instead of inclining it like Tactical Lever said in post #599.
    Okay, just spitballing here...When a rifle is fired, the cartridges in the tube are, by their own inertia, held in place while the gun recoils backward. They try to move forward with respect to the gun; just like a scope slips "forward" in loosely tightened rings during firing as its inertia attempts to keep it stationary. They will be slightly compressing the magazine tube spring with each shot. The spring immediately bounces them backward to their original position in the tube. How much would they actually move? A tiny fraction of an inch? How much energy could be applied to the primer in this case?

Wben inserting cartridges into a front-loading tube mag, I've always held the gun at an angle and allowed them to slide down into the tube. In this case the cartridges are moving much further, but also much more slowly. Again, how much energy is applied by the bullet tips to the primers?

When "Karl"...I have no idea who he is, but he's obviously an expert because he makes videos...loaded his rifle did he drop them down the tube vertically as an experiment...or is that the way he typically loads the thing? Those cartridges are falling the full length of the tube, and doing so at more-or-less free fall velocity, less the incidental friction they would encounter from brushing the tube walls on the way down. Is he intentionally trying to cause a primer ignition? Or is he just stupid?

We are handling devices that use springs held in compressed states by delicate triggering mechanisms, that are then released to intentionally ignite flammable compounds which in turn develop near-instantaneous dangerously-high levels of pressure...to propel a projectile through a barrel at high velocities...and we are doing it for fun! Of course there is an inherent element of danger; the degree to which individuals accept this varies.

We're way. way off base from the original intent of this thread; apologies to Henry for the massive derail.
    Eat right, don't drink, don't smoke, exercise, get lots of sleep...and die anyway!

If you want to buy it, say "I'll take it".
    If you want to make an offer, say "I'll take it for $X".
    If you want to practice your negotiating skills by asking if I will accept $X, with no intention of actually buying...say nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by owenator77 View Post
    a mini Cannon! 7 lbs, 9-12 inch .40-.50 cal
    I like!!! This has "Henry" written all over it1
    Eat right, don't drink, don't smoke, exercise, get lots of sleep...and die anyway!

If you want to buy it, say "I'll take it".
    If you want to make an offer, say "I'll take it for $X".
    If you want to practice your negotiating skills by asking if I will accept $X, with no intention of actually buying...say nothing.

CGN Regular
    A semi auto carbine available in 44 and 357 magnum.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer kodiakjack's Avatar
    Link to the video? I couldn’t find it.
    The Bee does not squander his time trying to explain to the Fly why honey is better than s**t. Each creature is content with the meal laid before them, so the Bee reserves his endeavor for those who know its worth.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer kodiakjack's Avatar
    There have been tube mag detonations from just dropping the rounds into the tube. The primer need only be a little proud of the base for your day at the range to become a day at the hospital.
    Also, as to the proud primer theory, the anvil needs to be supported against the bottom of the primer cup to to provide the necessary “pinch” between the anvil and the firing pin. A proud primer would actually help to absorb the impact of the bullet tip hitting it as it slid deeper into the pocket. It wouldn’t be any more likely to fire.

Also, also... when dropping bullets into a tube mag, if it free falls the full 18 inches, it will be traveling at just under 3 meters per second. Now, a firing pin, (as near as I can tell) travels at a speed between 15 and 20 meters per second. Assuming the firing pin weighs about the same as a 9mm round, (and given the squared velocity affecting energy) that works out to firing pin delivering between 25 and 44 times the amount of energy that a bullet dropped into the tube would. Not to mention, that the firing pin is made of harder steel, and has a much sharper point than the bullet does.

So that’s not to say it can’t happen, but the odds are certainly against it.
    The Bee does not squander his time trying to explain to the Fly why honey is better than s**t. Each creature is content with the meal laid before them, so the Bee reserves his endeavor for those who know its worth.

.223 lever that takes AR mags

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by kodiakjack View Post
    Link to the video? I couldn’t find it.
    He says to load it at an angle in every video with a tube mag that loads from the front like that. I think the discussion about the one he had detonate was in one of the many Q&A's.
    If you're going through hell, keep going.