Page 92 of 118 FirstFirst ... 728284858687888990919293949596979899100102112 ... LastLast

Thread: What gun should Henry make next?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Avalonthas's Avatar
    Model-X in 30-30 with All-Weather Bits. An extra M-Lok on the butt stock would be appealing to use my existing QD/QDM Cup sling I swap between other guns

Also interested in same as above but with longer forend placing the rail closer to muzzle & extra M-lok slot or two for flexibility. Gives more length for sling and a flashlight without casting shadows
    Also interested in same as above but with another furniture option
    Also interested in same as above but with slightly smaller barrel if possible as long as it has minimum of 5 round capacity
    There's Mil-spec, and then there's Gunnutz-spec.
    One is stringent, the other contains nuts.

Takedown 308 lever with dbm
    I'm a displaced redneck, stuck in a city.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    How about a Martini, or Peabody. Who wouldn't want a Henry Martini? Simple, strong and it would be very easy to produce in a huge range of calibres - especially revolver chamberings.
    "In the days of my youth I was told what it means to be a man, Now I've reached that age if I do that stuff I'll end up in the can...."
    Apologies to Led Zep

The preppers and survivalist need one gun. Shoots calibre 556/223 and can be converted to shoot 22lr. The conversion should be simple and not involve heavy barrel assemblies etc. The AR-15 with the CMMG 22lr conversion kit is the ultimate rifle, but in most states and in Canada it is "personal non grata". So how to make a rifle that will stand the test of the left (not look scary) and yet appeal to the right (lite weight, robust, reliable and accurate). It has to be cost effective to manufacture and reasonably priced. One way to get around the sticker shock is to sell it in stages. First the 556 platform then the 22lr adapter addons. Maybe an updated stock that can fold and has storage for the 22lr conversion kit plus ammo. Now what action should be use. Semi-auto, bolt action, pump action, single shot, or straight pull. Single shot would be easy. Break open type shotgun action with inserts, but this has been done. Plus if you want reasonable accuracy, you have to lug around those 4"-6" rifled shotgun adaptors. A prepper wants the ability to have a follow-up shot, so that platform is out. This would be the easiest platform to create and has already been done. ATRS Modern Sporter (Non-restricted) and drop in a slightly modified CMMG Bolt and use their 22lr AR magazine, done. Semi auto is the most desirable, but eventually all semis will be outlawed. If you are going to invest in something, you want to have it at the end of the day regardless of which political party is in power. From a manufacturing perspective, you want all your R&D not to be wasted by the stroke of a pen or by OIC. So what platform to use? Pump, straight-pull, or the old venerable bolt action. I'm pretty certain you could get something up a runner relatively quickly using the pump action. Get a Troy Par, modify a CMMG 22lr kit to work with the pump interface. Get yourself some CMMG AR 22lr mags and done. The pump is fast, but the platform would still look like a scary AR-15. To the anti-gun movement, anything resembling a black rifle will get attention. So we are left with the straight-pull and the bolt gun. Either will work just fine, although personally, I not a big fan of the straight pull AR-15s that are coming onto the market. You know the type will the charging handle on the left side of the receiver. Sure there fast and you can use all your left over AR15 goodies, but I just don't like them. I do like the straight-pull hunting rifles with the bolt on right (like the K31, Ross Rifle etc.). So here's the rifle Henry should build. Sorry to say, not a big fan of Henry's firearms. It should be like a ruger american ranch rifle in 556 that takes AR15 mags. It should have an integral picatinny rail and low profile aperture sight like the TCR-22. Threaded muzzle. Straight pull or bolt action. Short, lite-weight, accurate, reliable, robust, reasonably priced (again, buy the 22lr mods after the fact to keep prices down). Stock should fold or takedown and have storage. Something like the Grendel SRT-308 (Folding) and storage like the magpul backpacker stock. Have an action where the bolt can be replaced by something like a CMMG bolt to feed 22lr from the CMMG type ar mag into the chamber. No need to change the barrel as we all know 556 barrels can shoot 22lr quite effectively. Again, sell the rifle as a 556 platform and all the other bits to give it 22lr capability, foldable, and storage. If you could make the thing in stainless, well that would be a dream rifle. At the end of the day, you would have a ruger american ranch in stainless, that folds or breaks apart, is light weight, has storage for the 22lr kit and 22 lr ammo. Either straight pull or bolt. Simply pull out the bolt and replace it with another that is 22lr capable. Drop in another 22lr ar-15 type magazine and you are off to the races. Barrel would be lighter profile then the current ruger barrel. Build this and they will come.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer vagrantviking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by enefgee View Post
    How about a Martini, or Peabody. Who wouldn't want a Henry Martini? Simple, strong and it would be very easy to produce in a huge range of calibres - especially revolver chamberings.
    Love this idea. Bring back some classic single shot designs.
    Maybe a very few careful upgrades like a safety or better way to mount a scope. But keep it simple and robust.

A full size Martini action with switch barrels for rifle cartridges and a cadet size one for pistol and small cartridges.

Quote Originally Posted by vagrantviking View Post
    Love this idea. Bring back some classic single shot designs.
    Maybe a very few careful upgrades like a safety or better way to mount a scope. But keep it simple and robust.

A full size Martini action with switch barrels for rifle cartridges and a cadet size one for pistol and small cartridges.
    Agreed

Also, I was looking at the single shot rifles and thought, "That looks like the old Savage O/U rifle/shotgun." Hmmmm..... what about reviving that? .22RF, .223, .357, .44 mag /410, 20 and 12 ga.
    My doctor asked if anyone in my family was suffering from mental illness.
    "No", I said, "We all seem to enjoy it."

Member CSSA, CCFR

How about a single shot full stock rifle in some classic calibers like 9.3x62, 275 Rigby or 6.5x55.
    Something like this
    https://i.imgur.com/oHgFdhZ.jpg

Lever action rifle/carbine in 10mm!! With 10mm gaining on popularity so fast as more shooters discover the true potential of this powerful cartridge, it would make all sense in the world to do something like this and offer a fine lever action firearm in this caliber. It would be immediately placed on my list to purchase....
    How to make a difference in fight against the communists?
    1. Vote for CPC 2. Join CCFR and CSSA (not NFA ) 3. Write letters to your Member of Parliament 4. Continue to be upstanding citizen

Quote Originally Posted by fade2black View Post
    How about a single shot full stock rifle in some classic calibers like 9.3x62, 275 Rigby or 6.5x55.
    Something like this
    Be pretty sweet in 9.3x62! Falling block would be my first choice (I think Ruger No1 is literally the only one on the market right now?) but they only seem to come with 22-25" barrels for whatever reason.

18-20" barrel falling block rifle with bigger bores there's none on the market. 9.3x62/35 whelen/45-70
    Last edited by stevo911_; 01-19-2021 at 04:30 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Well, Henry almost makes the one I want, H012RCC in .44 Mag./.44 Special,,, just need to add the side gate!!!

" Those who hammer their swords into plowshares, will Plow for those who do not".