Page 7 of 118 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151727 ... LastLast

Thread: What gun should Henry make next?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Nestor's Avatar
    Something like Big Boy X Model in 30-30, but without the threaded barrel and rails. Just handy, utilitarian rifle with 16" barrel and synthetic stock. Side loaded only, please.
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is that you're stupid and you make bad decisions.

CGN Regular
    Haha.. oh one more thing..

Buy Marlin!

Seems like Marlin Co. may be up for sale if Remington is having hard times.

edited so I could elaborate.. just in case
    Last edited by Revv; 07-21-2020 at 12:07 PM. Reason: clarity

I would love to see a takedown lever action rifle from Henry. 45-70 or 357/38 special will do it for me.

I’d like to see more brass side gate rifles. Especially in pistol calibers, 357, 44, and 45lc

Oh I forgot, something in 500 S&W mag

CGN Ultra frequent flyer

or

CGN frequent flyer
    Henry Big Boy X in 9mm

CGN Regular
    1. Lever pistol calibre carbines in 40S&W, 45acp, 9mm.

No, they're not practical hunting rounds, but neither are many of the traditional cowboy loads when contrasted with the performance and range of current rifle rounds.

These cartridges are appealing for their low recoil low cost recreational shooting. They're appropriate for introducing a new, younger, or smaller shooting without startling muzzle blast or recoil. They have practical value for traplines as well as for pest control on the farm (maybe up to coyote/wolf).

Many people often have pistols in these cartridges, and therefore have the ammunition on hand. It requires less ammunition variety for the shooter to keep on hand, adding a measure of economy.

2. Pump action rifles. The bolt action and semi auto market is reasonably saturated, but the pump action rifle market has little competition. Perhaps it could be done more economically by using an aluminum alloy receiver with a bolt that locks into the barrel as an AR or a BLR rifle does. Maybe the trigger group concept could be borrowed from a successful current pump action shotgun.

The appeal of such a rifle is a short range hunting rifle at a time when all solid lever rifles are at a higher pricepoint than previously. There arent cheap new lever rifles like there used to be, and some dont want to or cant hunt with semi auto rifles.

If such a rifle had an external hammer it would add an even greater safety level via ability to cock/uncock it, as well as the visual cocking indicator.

This style of rifle would function in similar roles as the lever rifles, but with a different appeal that is nearly absent in the current market. It is also a familiar action and a very swift one that is more practical for the cartridges it is most suited to: pistol cartridges, revolver cartridges, and medium powered rifle cartridges such as the 30-30, etc.

3. At least in Canada, there arent many shorter barreled 22LR rifles. It would be tremendously handy to have such a rifle for trapping and backpacking. If it came with a stock with inserts it could have an adjustable length of pull for a growing shooter as well.
    If I had access to such a rifle, I would prefer one with a finish I'm not afraid to mark up, and with a barrel in the neighborhood of 12.5 to 14 inches as not much vekocity would be lost in the 22LR for practical purposes. It would benefit from a long sighting plane with a skinner aperture on the rear of the receiver, and hopefully a better designed tube magazine that everything else in existence or else use a successful magazine already available such as that of the 10/22. Tube loads are irritating, and bad removable magazines are even more irritating.
    A repeating, NOT semi auto action, would completely do away with the rimfire conundrum of unreliable feeding. I don't like a bolt for this type rifle. It would be useful whether pump or lever or a form of action that more naturally headspaces similar to the method a semi auto uses but perhaps without the actual semi auto feature. Allow receiver would be suitable and more affordable.

Short, handy, good for many levels of shooter, backpacking, trapline, and it would have great utility for those can't use a pistol or prefer the accuracy of a rifle. It could be better for a younger one to learn with as well.

My 2 cents, thanks!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer just having some fun's Avatar
    Side gate 20 & 24 38/357 mag

Side gate 358 Win
    Democracy is by having elected representatives vote the will of the constituents.
    A Smart Person Learns from their Mistakes, A Wise Person learns from the Mistakes of Others.
    If it can't be expressed in figures, it is not science; it is Opinion.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Wallenstein's Avatar
    Side-gates as standard.

The tubular magazine is all nice & traditional, but for fast re-loading the side-gate is a must.