Page 57 of 118 FirstFirst ... 374749505152535455565758596061626364656777 ... LastLast

Thread: What gun should Henry make next?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Mumbles Marble Mouth's Avatar

Revolver Carbine

I thought about it for a while now and if I where to lead a project team to release a completely new firearm to the market by Henry, I’d design a revolver rifle or revolver carbine.

You could easily chamber it for the classic revolver cartridges like .38/.357 .44special/magnum, and .45Colt. But you could also satisfy those who are asking for a 9mm. A 9mm revolver carbine would be neat but I think the hot gun to buy would be the 10mm revolver carbine. Could shoot both .40s&w and 10mm. With the continued rising popularity of the 10mm and the price drop in ammo almost to the cost of .45acp, I think it would be a good seller. I know a few people who carry a Glock 20 for wilderness carry and the 10mm is no slouch. I’d carry a 10mm revolver carbine in the wilderness with confidence. Could offer both a classic style and a modern tactical style. Use moon clips for fast reloads for the non rimmed cases.

I don’t know how the law works for Canada in magazine capacity for a revolver carbine . It’s technically not a semi auto so I would assume more than 5 would be fine. Then, over all length. I don’t know how the law works again for a revolver carbine for overall length but again I would imagine since it’s technically not a semi auto, the barrel could be short like 10”. Could you imagine a 26”OAL revolver carbine for wilderness carry?

Then if possible, A big boy series of the revolver rifles in .460s&w and a shotgun series in .410. I say possible because I’m not sure how expensive it would be to make a revolver carbine that could safely handle a large cartridge like .460s&w. Thinking of gas blow by from the cylinder and such. Also a rimfire series revolver carbine if the cost isn’t too expensive. By too expensive I mean not over $1000. Last thing, how about a revolver carbine special run in..... .30 Carbine!

Revolvers aren’t cheap by nature of its design. Then if you want quality, price goes up from there. Keeping that in mind a firearm like that could be expensive. But, there you go Henry. That’s what I would do if I was project leader for a new product.
    Last edited by Mumbles Marble Mouth; 08-03-2020 at 04:02 AM.
    "If you elect a clown, you get a circus. "

CGN Ultra frequent flyer sixty9santa's Avatar
    Actually, I agree with a 9mm mare's leg length barrel with, threaded, full stock, all weather (stainless and polymer) and a top rail.
    "Genius begins great works, but labor alone finishes them." Joseph Joubert

To all with TDS: Trump for Prime Minister!!!

A probably-unrealistic request in today's market, but...I would love to see a Henry traditional muzzleloader. Something along the lines of the TC Hawken; not necessarily historically correct, but something that at least gives a nod to the traditional style. Walnut a must, some nice brass, maybe a browned barrel, open sights or an aperture, crescent buttplate, sidehammer, double set trigger, .50 and .54 caliber...

And, of course, about as ban-proof as a firearm can be in this sad state of a country...which is probably a consideration for anyone marketing in Kanada.
    Eat right, don't drink, don't smoke, exercise, get lots of sleep...and die anyway!

If you want to buy it, say "I'll take it".
    If you want to make an offer, say "I'll take it for $X".
    If you want to practice your negotiating skills by asking if I will accept $X, with no intention of actually buying...say nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mumbles Marble Mouth View Post
    I thought about it for a while now and if I where to lead a project team to release a completely new firearm to the market by Henry, I’d design a revolver rifle or revolver carbine.

You could easily chamber it for the classic revolver cartridges like .38/.357 .44special/magnum, and .45Colt. But you could also satisfy those who are asking for a 9mm. A 9mm revolver carbine would be neat but I think the hot gun to buy would be the 10mm revolver carbine. Could shoot both .40s&w and 10mm. With the continued rising popularity of the 10mm and the price drop in ammo almost to the cost of .45acp, I think it would be a good seller. I know a few people who carry a Glock 20 for wilderness carry and the 10mm is no slouch. I’d carry a 10mm revolver carbine in the wilderness with confidence. Could offer both a classic style and a modern tactical style. Use moon clips for fast reloads for the non rimmed cases.

I don’t know how the law works for Canada in magazine capacity for a revolver carbine . It’s technically not a semi auto so I would assume more than 5 would be fine. Then, over all length. I don’t know how the law works again for a revolver carbine for overall length but again I would imagine since it’s technically not a semi auto, the barrel could be short like 10”. Could you imagine a 26”OAL revolver carbine for wilderness carry?

Then if possible, A big boy series of the revolver rifles in .460s&w and a shotgun series in .410. I say possible because I’m not sure how expensive it would be to make a revolver carbine that could safely handle a large cartridge like .460s&w. Thinking of gas blow by from the cylinder and such. Also a rimfire series revolver carbine if the cost isn’t too expensive. By too expensive I mean not over $1000. Last thing, how about a revolver carbine special run in..... .30 Carbine!

Revolvers aren’t cheap by nature of its design. Then if you want quality, price goes up from there. Keeping that in mind a firearm like that could be expensive. But, there you go Henry. That’s what I would do if I was project leader for a new product.
    Mentioned this a few pages ago. Totally agree, if made non-restricted in a manual action (not a double action), it could be designed to be ultra compact. Being able to swap the cylinders out for the caliber of choice or need would be great for guys. Note how popular the old handi rifles were. It is a scary domain though, example of a failed attempt, the circuit judge.

There are a lot of Revolver Carbines based on the Colt action however a Revolver Carbine based on a Schofield action with a short 14inch or less barrel and a forestock so it can be shot like a normal rifle and in .44 mag, .45 colt, .357mag/.38 spl, .22 long, etc. Would be something unique and something I’d definitely purchase.

I think a 9mm lever action, just long enough to hold 10 and the ability to employ a speed loader of some sort (maybe bottom load like a shotgun??) would be nice. Maybe two variations- one in blued/wood for cowboy action and synthetic/stainless with rail for plinking and 3 gun. Threaded barrel on the latter so folks in the USA could use a suppressor. Make it a short, smooth throw action for speed, a decent trigger for accuracy and speed and make it fairly lightweight.

Cheap ammo, many folks already have a 9mm handgun, in a handy carbine - what’s not to like?

I guess the issue is that it would need flat nosed bullets.

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by 1899 View Post
    I think a 9mm lever action, just long enough to hold 10 and the ability to employ a speed loader of some sort (maybe bottom load like a shotgun??) would be nice. Maybe two variations- one in blued/wood for cowboy action and synthetic/stainless with rail for plinking and 3 gun. Threaded barrel on the latter so folks in the USA could use a suppressor. Make it a short, smooth throw action for speed, a decent trigger for accuracy and speed and make it fairly lightweight.

Cheap ammo, many folks already have a 9mm handgun, in a handy carbine - what’s not to like?

I guess the issue is that it would need flat nosed bullets.
    And that's the issue. You can specify FLAT-NOSE 9MM until you're blue in the face and you just know that some yobs are going to use regular ammo and some lawyer is only too eager to take everyone's money. Any sort of ammo that isn't already normally flat-nosed is a non-starter in a tube-magazine design.

Meanwhile, you've got people wanting a detached-magazine lever gun, especially for a truck gun so you can go from totally safe and unloaded to fully-loaded in one quick easy clunk, or unload almost as easily and not have to cycle all remaining rounds through the chamber. I think that covering the 9mm/45 ACP/10mm/40 S&W calibers along with a detachable (1911, by preference) magazine is sensible, and continue with the traditional revolver/lever calibres in tubular-magazine lever guns.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Chumlee Bumsnag's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jjohnwm View Post
    A probably-unrealistic request in today's market, but...I would love to see a Henry traditional muzzleloader. Something along the lines of the TC Hawken; not necessarily historically correct, but something that at least gives a nod to the traditional style. Walnut a must, some nice brass, maybe a browned barrel, open sights or an aperture, crescent buttplate, sidehammer, double set trigger, .50 and .54 caliber...

And, of course, about as ban-proof as a firearm can be in this sad state of a country...which is probably a consideration for anyone marketing in Kanada.
    Lol. I already asked for a high end Hawken. .45 or .50 for me. Curly maple might be nice. I might actually go for a flintlock if they made one. I'd forego the brass and like a finish similar to a Great Plains Rifle.
    I agree with it being a bit of an unrealistic request

.22/410 like the old Savage 24's!!!