Page 40 of 118 FirstFirst ... 203032333435363738394041424344454647485060 ... LastLast

Thread: What gun should Henry make next?

Single shot .358Win

CGN Ultra frequent flyer handofzeus's Avatar
    I said earlier that a falling block in 460S&W would be nice and to add to that I would say Martini action too. Nothing keeps cost down like a simple action. The issue with single shot falling blocks is that the price goes up with the size of the caliber and availability, generally. When it comes to Ruger No. 1s and the stupid prices they garner nowadays it's only because they keep production numbers down to drive the prices through the roof. I'd love to see Henry give Ruger a run for their money by flooding the market with a decent falling block.
    Canada ended when Trudeau began.

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by OkayShooter View Post
    ... And for it to function. The receiver would need to be longer, so the lever can clear the mag dangling like a unsightful dingleberry.
    Would the magazine have to go aft of the lever? I'm picturing it forward of the trigger/lever since the bolt has to come in behind the mag and the firing pin is in the bolt. Since the rounds are so short the lever can stop before running into the mag and still move the bolt as far as it has to go at a decent mechanical ratio.

Or you can get crazy and put the mag on the side like the Sten gun, I suppose.

Actually, what would be really cool and retro would be a reproduction Tommy gun, but proving that it was semiauto-only and not easily convertible to full-auto to the satisfaction of our authorities would be fraught, and a drum mag would have to be pinned to 5 rounds. Then a 1911 magazine would be an advantage because we can have 10 loaded there.

Quote Originally Posted by old303 View Post
    Every PCC and its uncle takes Glock magazines nowadays, so you'd immediately be competing against all those. And nothing says modern plastic stuff quite like Glock does.

For the century-ago retro aesthetic, the era immediately following the tubular-magazine lever guns firing revolver ammo, you'd want to use 1911 magazines made of actual steel and evoke that era. And there will be a lot of 1911 owners with a mitt full of magazines in .45ACP or 9mm who would be inclined to look favourably on a long-gun option that used those; that's much more of an untapped market.
    I would even disagree with 1911 mags. I have a mitt full of 1911 mags. A lever just wouldn't look right with a mag dangling out the bottom. Plus it would be like my Glock Mag comment. Would require a longer receiver, so you can have the lever clear the mag. Longer receiver, with a long stroke, would be make it slower to fire. So if you wanted a magazine, and still a short stroke, you would need like a rotory magazine. Or them make a pump.

Why I had a bolt action rifle made, because there was an adapter I could get, and had a bunch of un used 1911 mags.
    April 8th, remember 22 Bravo. Take a min to remember the Fallen.

Quote Originally Posted by old303 View Post
    Would the magazine have to go aft of the lever? I'm picturing it forward of the trigger/lever since the bolt has to come in behind the mag and the firing pin is in the bolt. Since the rounds are so short the lever can stop before running into the mag and still move the bolt as far as it has to go at a decent mechanical ratio.

Or you can get crazy and put the mag on the side like the Sten gun, I suppose.

Actually, what would be really cool and retro would be a reproduction Tommy gun, but proving that it was semiauto-only and not easily convertible to full-auto to the satisfaction of our authorities would be fraught, and a drum mag would have to be pinned to 5 rounds. Then a 1911 magazine would be an advantage because we can have 10 loaded there.
    Yes, The way I'm seeing it. Looking at cut away of lever action rifles. Most lever stop around 180 degrees. So to run a mag, the mag or the lever have to be offset to clear. But it wouldn't be that fast to fire. If your knuckles are whacking off the mag. Then you also have the lever being cocked on a angle, and would end up in metal fatigue.

Also pistol mags don't work that well straight vertical, they are designed to run on a angle, bringing it into the lever more.

Also who wants a very long stroke, for such a short cartage?
    April 8th, remember 22 Bravo. Take a min to remember the Fallen.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by 70m4h4wk View Post
    It doesn't seem that unsafe assuming it's short enough to cock from the shoulder.

Either way, now that the cocking handle isn't patented, they could swap that mechanism out for a cocking handle and there wouldn't be anything to worry about
    It's a straight-blowback, so that plunger has a lot of spring pressure to fight against on top of being way out in front. Not exactly ergonomic. Changing the design could fix that, but it's also the most distinctive part of that particular rifle, so I don't know if it'd even be worthwhile at that point. A look at the drama around the HMG StG-44 based rifle. For the people who want it for historical reasons, it's too much of a departure. For everyone else, it ends up fighting far more modern and thoroughly developed rifles that come in much cheaper. If you try making something accurate to the original, you end up like the Lugerman pistols which fall into the "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" price point.
    If you're going through hell, keep going.

Some kind of pump or perhaps a semi would be really cool

Pump action rifle in 9mm and 22LR.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer nomad 68's Avatar
    NS,Alberta and sometimes, points in between
    Expand the caliber options on the single shot rifle. While your at it, put the rifle on a diet knocking a half pound off and lighten the trigger to a reasonable weight for hunting accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by nomad 68 View Post
    Expand the caliber options on the single shot rifle. While your at it, put the rifle on a diet knocking a half pound off and lighten the trigger to a reasonable weight for hunting accuracy.
    And make it a double rifle!
    Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary.