Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Remington bankruptcy ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bratwurst View Post
    You say that like it's a bad thing, after plastic has been a major component in firearms usage for 70 years.

The vast majority of people complaining about the use of plastic know very little about plastic.

For the G36 standard issue rifle the receiver housing, stock, trigger group (including the fire control selector and firing mechanism parts), magazine well, handguard and carry handle are all polymers.

Time to move on.
    Yes but there are definitely examples of guns that use too much plastic in the wrong places and perhaps not the best quality of plastics. For example the Keltec SU16 platform; the plastic piece that holds the upper receiver to the lower receiver has a tendency of breaking due to the impact of the bolt flying back and hitting that area. When that happens the gun is rendered inoperable and the poor sucker who bought that rifle new has to go through the tedious and drawn out process of sending it back for Keltec warranty work unless they bought the gun used off the CGN EE, in which case they are S.O.L. i just hope Remington doesn't go full Keltec after this.

Quote Originally Posted by Teppo87 View Post
    Yes but there are definitely examples of guns that use too much plastic in the wrong places and perhaps not the best quality of plastics. For example the Keltec SU16 platform; the plastic piece that holds the upper receiver to the lower receiver has a tendency of breaking due to the impact of the bolt flying back and hitting that area. When that happens the gun is rendered inoperable and the poor sucker who bought that rifle new has to go through the tedious and drawn out process of sending it back for Keltec warranty work unless they bought the gun used off the CGN EE, in which case they are S.O.L. i just hope Remington doesn't go full Keltec after this.
    I for one avoid plastic guns like the plague. Yes some of them or more "modern" and light but I just feel like guns should be metal and buy accordingly.
    Gun control defined: The theory that people who are willing to ignore laws against rape, kidnapping, theft, and murder will obey a law which prohibits them from owning a firearm.

Perhaps this is because the SU16 is a... POS. An alternative example would be, say, the plastic on a Bushmaster ACR.

CGN frequent flyer
    That's true, we can point to literally any material and point to where it has been used in the wrong place.

We can also point to how a type of material has been used incorrectly, like using spruce instead of walnut for a gun stock. It's not aan argument against using wood it's an argument against using spruce.

If Remington went Keltec then it would be a incredible on the basis that it's a very large firearms maker who would be acting with great amounts of innovation. i'd love that

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by platnumbob View Post
    I for one avoid plastic guns like the plague. Yes some of them or more "modern" and light but I just feel like guns should be metal and buy accordingly.
    I support your right to choose but ultimately you're just making your own life harder. It's like how car designers incur (and of course pass on) costs in making sure that the doors on a car make a specific heavy noise when closed because the customer wants it to sound like something firm and heavy aka: "quality".

This misguided belief in what quality is just means the car costs more but performs the same function.

In the case of guns using metal and wood where plastic could be used to the same result you're paying more, carrying more and sometimes achieving a worse result.

So long as consumers continue to push for and purchase outdated technologies, materials and more the market will take longer to improve.

Where you want to buy it because you like how it looks aesthetically then good on you, for anything else it's time to move on.

That's true, we can point to literally any material and point to where it has been used in the wrong place.

We can also point to how a type of material has been used incorrectly, like using spruce instead of walnut for a gun stock. It's not aan argument against using wood it's an argument against using spruce.

If Remington went Keltec then it would be a incredible on the basis that it's a very large firearms maker who would be acting with great amounts of innovation. i'd love that

I agree with you that if Remington went Keltec in terms of the unique innovation that they exhibit in their designs that would be great - just so long as they omit the poor execution of guns like the SU16. I have nothing against plastic being used on guns so long as it is done right. A prime example of a gun that uses a lot of plastic done right is the Beretta CX4 Storm carbine - one of the best, most reliable modern carbines I've ever tried.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Dexter Morgan's Avatar
    Remington files for bankruptcy every couple years.
    There's a ton of companies that do it.

It's like a fancy version of this game.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    You say that like it's a bad thing, after plastic has been a major component in firearms usage for 70 years.

The vast majority of people complaining about the use of plastic know very little about plastic.
    Like the people who work at Remington, apparently

For the G36 standard issue rifle the receiver housing, stock, trigger group (including the fire control selector and firing mechanism parts), magazine well, handguard and carry handle are all polymers.

Time to move on.
    Said every recent Remington customer.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Rick911's Avatar

Time to move on.
    Yes, the fact that its a lot cheaper must be a coincidence.

No correlation here. Time to move on.

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick911 View Post
    Yes, the fact that its a lot cheaper must be a coincidence.

No correlation here. Time to move on.
    As I said earlier, plastic is an excellent material, the fact that one type may have been used innappropriately is not a case against plastic as a whole.

Remington has seemingly gone downhill, but you've provided 0 evidence that plastic had anything to do with it

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast