Thread: Question on PAL application

Question on PAL application

I wonder when RCMP do the background check. When they call my references, what if they can't get my reference's phone, what they will do? Like if thay are not available (driving, taking class, something like that).

From what I understand the number will come up as an unknown caller. If your reference has their name in their voice-mail message they will leave a message (i.e. "you've reached so-and-so, sorry I can't answer the phone right now). If they don't include their name they won't leave a message.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer btabin's Avatar
    My references never got called.
    I suck at responding to PMs. Don't take it personally.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    My brother was one of my references. I'm pretty sure I eventually got a letter in the mail saying they couldn't get ahold of one of my references, at which point I called my brother and told him he had to call in to provide my reference.

I've been a reference on a few applications. I was called for the first one, but not the other two. I got my PAL between the first and second one, so maybe that has something to do with it?
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer GerardSamija's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by btabin View Post
    My references never got called.
    Same for me. Which I found slightly alarming. I mean, I think Canada's security around firearms licensing is okay, not thrilling to have to deal with but probably okay in terms of weeding out the odd bad guy (though most bad guys just buy guns on the black market, often for really cheap or in exchange for drugs). But if they're not even bothering to call my wife or my neighbour, what's the point of asking me for references? Seems pretty lazy on the part of the RCMP.

There was a thread somewhere about how to expedite your application, it advised getting your references to call in proactively after they had received your application. https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...Approval-Times
    Last edited by sigpig; 08-24-2020 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Found thread
    Welcome to the new normal

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by GerardSamija View Post
    Same for me. Which I found slightly alarming. I mean, I think Canada's security around firearms licensing is okay, not thrilling to have to deal with but probably okay in terms of weeding out the odd bad guy (though most bad guys just buy guns on the black market, often for really cheap or in exchange for drugs). But if they're not even bothering to call my wife or my neighbour, what's the point of asking me for references? Seems pretty lazy on the part of the RCMP.
    I would say rather smart on their part ..

why would they call the wife (any conjugal partner) and the selected by the applicant neighbours (friends)who already signed their references?
    what useful information - to them, not the applicant - would they expect to get? clearly a waist of time ..

totally different story would be if they managed to dig out some dark matter … they would probably call references to confirm and/or corraborate …

and yes, asking your reference to call and suggest to be interviewed by CFO tends to expedite the process … doesn't assure, just tends ..
    If a politician’s life is worth armed guards, why aren't our children's lives worth the ability for us to give them the same level of protection?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SLToronto View Post
    I would say rather smart on their part ..

why would they call the wife (any conjugal partner) and the selected by the applicant neighbours (friends)who already signed their references?
    what useful information - to them, not the applicant - would they expect to get? clearly a waist of time ..

totally different story would be if they managed to dig out some dark matter … they would probably call references to confirm and/or corraborate …

and yes, asking your reference to call and suggest to be interviewed by CFO tends to expedite the process … doesn't assure, just tends ..
    Most people I know had their references called, unless that reference already had a PAL.

Also if your partner signed the form, they don't call.
    Last edited by Suther; 08-24-2020 at 05:24 PM.
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    You should assume that no caller ID will be available, no message will be left, and that they won't re-attempt to call again and again. Instead, you should assume that your (unfinished) application will go to the bottom of their (to-do) pile.

To expedite your application, seek and obtain (from the CFP) the number assigned to your application. Provide this number to each of your references, and ask them to call the CFP and complete their interviews.
    Kyle Defoor talks about Mindset:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vPCqMo9TCg