If you have a pistol in an IWB holster is it legal

Patriotbrass

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i buy an IWB holster, and have the grip of the gun visible at the range like wearing a t shirt or what have you, is that considered concealing a weapon? Like it is visble, just not sure whether or not it would be frowned upon. Obviously tucking the pistol inside your jacket or shirt is hella illegal, just asking whether or not the first example would be legal.

I don’t know if any range that permits the use of an IWB holster because they are inherently dangerous and have no sporting purpose. There are no laws regarding holstered firearms at the range, but IWB holsters are not legal for any sporting competition.

I don’t know if any range that permits the use of an IWB holster because they are inherently dangerous and have no sporting purpose. There are no laws regarding holstered firearms at the range, but IWB holsters are not legal for any sporting competition.

Your irony is lost on anyone who doesn't know that you're being ridiculous.

OP: some clubs allow holster use (including IWB), and some don't, and some sports allow holster use (including IWB), and some don't.

(Probably) Blastattack was just trying to be ironic.

Last edited:
Ah yes, this is what I come to CGN for. Name calling and bullying.

Edit: TIL Wendell loves posting comments, then editing them rapidly, making my comment seem out of place. Kudos to you.

Last edited:
If i buy an IWB holster, and have the grip of the gun visible at the range like wearing a t shirt or what have you, is that considered concealing a weapon? Like it is visble, just not sure whether or not it would be frowned upon. Obviously tucking the pistol inside your jacket or shirt is hella illegal, just asking whether or not the first example would be legal.

Lots of people have IWB holsters and use them at ranges. I don’t know if it would be concealing a weapon if you’re at a firing line shooting. Just do it and don’t ask the armchair quarterbacks

If your range has no issue with it, then neither should anyone else.

BTW, when did IWB holsters become inherently dangerous?

Ah yes, this is what I come to CGN for. Name calling and bullying.

Edit: TIL Wendell loves posting comments, then editing them rapidly, making my comment seem out of place. Kudos to you.

The statement that: "...IWB holsters are not legal for any sporting competition..." is false. False statements do not help anyone.

My original comment still stands, but it's against the rules.

Last edited:
Your statement that: "...IWB holsters are not legal for any sporting competition..." is false. False statements do not help anyone.

Ontario Defensive Pistol League doesn't state you cannot use IWB holsters. And I cannot find the rules for IDPA stating you cannot.

Holsters explicitly prohibited from ODPL competition include:
- Cross draw holsters
- Shoulder holsters
- Small of the back holsters
- Thigh holsters (except where specifically permitted during multi-gun events)
- Holsters designed for competition purposes (speed rigs)

My guess the safest thing to do, is tuck whatever your wearing over, behind. Exposing it.

I’m not the OP.

You got me; I was wrong, and I apologize.

The statement that: "...IWB holsters are not legal for any sporting competition..." is false. False statements do not help anyone.

Last edited:
OP: if your range allows it and you are safe with it, why not ? You will get some crusty faces looking at you for sure, but we got the same look uncasing AR15, wearing plate carrier and practicing drills from the same "purist crowd" for years. Don’t worry about them.

All the ranges I’ve belong over the last 14 years never had an issue with any holsters EXCEPT the shoulder holster/crossdraw holsters.

How are IWB holster dangerous ? Please come up with facts, not feelings. You are probably thinking appendic carry, which is as safe as any other way of carrying a loaded firearm. It’s all about proper training

Not legal for sporting competition ? I attended 3 gun clubs local match which kinds looked like IDPA but were not part of any association (IPSC, IDPA, PPC) and there was a CCW category which required an IWB holster

Last edited:
IWB holsters must be worn on the strong side between 12 and 4 (clock) according to the match rules for IDPA.

This doesn't mean you can walk around with a gun down your pants any time you want at any range though. You would have to read the rules of your club or ask the proper executive for clarification if the rules don't cover this.

At my current club I had to do a holster course to shoot IDPA. At a previous club I had to do a holster course to do any event with any holster. 3 gun etc.

Lots of people have IWB holsters and use them at ranges. I don’t know if it would be concealing a weapon if you’re at a firing line shooting. Just do it and don’t ask the armchair quarterbacks

No, each club has rules; make sure you comply with your clubs requirements or you could find your range access gone. You may have to have some sort of Holster certification.

For anyone who shoots IDPA, the rules often require starting form a concealed position. Vest or jacket covering the holstered gun. Again it depends on the club, it depends on what discipline you are shooting. Most clubs don't allow holsters off the range (culb-house, yard, parking lot etc.) Ask your RSO.

Back
Top Bottom