Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If you have a pistol in an IWB holster is it legal

CGN frequent flyer Don'tkillbill's Avatar
    On the firing line? Why not? If the range allows.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    Your statement that: "...IWB holsters are not legal for any sporting competition..." is false. False statements do not help anyone.

My original comment still stands, but it's against the rules.
    Ontario Defensive Pistol League doesn't state you cannot use IWB holsters. And I cannot find the rules for IDPA stating you cannot.

Holsters explicitly prohibited from ODPL competition include:
    - Cross draw holsters
    - Shoulder holsters
    - Small of the back holsters
    - Thigh holsters (except where specifically permitted during multi-gun events)
    - Holsters designed for competition purposes (speed rigs)
    My guess the safest thing to do, is tuck whatever your wearing over, behind. Exposing it.
    April 8th, remember 22 Bravo. Take a min to remember the Fallen.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by devolut View Post
    I’m not the OP.
    You got me; I was wrong, and I apologize.

The statement that: "...IWB holsters are not legal for any sporting competition..." is false. False statements do not help anyone.

My original comment still stands, but it's against the rules.
    Last edited by Wendell; 08-29-2020 at 09:52 AM.
    Kyle Defoor talks about Mindset:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vPCqMo9TCg

OP: if your range allows it and you are safe with it, why not ? You will get some crusty faces looking at you for sure, but we got the same look uncasing AR15, wearing plate carrier and practicing drills from the same "purist crowd" for years. Don’t worry about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Blastattack View Post
    I don’t know if any range that permits the use of an IWB holster because they are inherently dangerous and have no sporting purpose. There are no laws regarding holstered firearms at the range, but IWB holsters are not legal for any sporting competition.
    All the ranges I’ve belong over the last 14 years never had an issue with any holsters EXCEPT the shoulder holster/crossdraw holsters.

How are IWB holster dangerous ? Please come up with facts, not feelings. You are probably thinking appendic carry, which is as safe as any other way of carrying a loaded firearm. It’s all about proper training

Not legal for sporting competition ? I attended 3 gun clubs local match which kinds looked like IDPA but were not part of any association (IPSC, IDPA, PPC) and there was a CCW category which required an IWB holster
    Last edited by DT741; 08-29-2020 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Edited the frenchness that snuck up into my message
    Left wing, right wing, they belong to the same bird.

BANNED
    IWB holsters must be worn on the strong side between 12 and 4 (clock) according to the match rules for IDPA.

This doesn't mean you can walk around with a gun down your pants any time you want at any range though. You would have to read the rules of your club or ask the proper executive for clarification if the rules don't cover this.

At my current club I had to do a holster course to shoot IDPA. At a previous club I had to do a holster course to do any event with any holster. 3 gun etc.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudbury shooter View Post
    Lots of people have IWB holsters and use them at ranges. I don’t know if it would be concealing a weapon if you’re at a firing line shooting. Just do it and don’t ask the armchair quarterbacks
    No, each club has rules; make sure you comply with your clubs requirements or you could find your range access gone. You may have to have some sort of Holster certification.

For anyone who shoots IDPA, the rules often require starting form a concealed position. Vest or jacket covering the holstered gun. Again it depends on the club, it depends on what discipline you are shooting. Most clubs don't allow holsters off the range (culb-house, yard, parking lot etc.) Ask your RSO.
    Omne ferrum ignitum malleo!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12