Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fresh From France, The Best revolver in the world?? Manurhin MR73 Sport 357/38spl

What makes it the 'Best'?. Is it any better made than S&W, Dan Wesson, Colt to name a few. Surely the pinnacle of wheel gun manufacture has been reached by now. The biggest weakness I see with revolvers are, cylinder lock up, the gap between cylinder and barrel and the lack of ammo storage in that cylinder. The weight is a down side too. I like revolvers, don't get me wrong, but why is this the best?. Perhaps a bit of advertising flair was being used? I did get a chuckle out of some of these other comments, but thought it best to leave my humour checked on this one.

I believe it's because of the tolerances? I did read somewhere that the downside is if you shoot them too much they will heat up and lock up. I've never seen one and I've shot a lot of revo matches.

Read this:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...r-the-revolver
    ICORE/IPSC/USPSA

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyScuba View Post
    I believe it's because of the tolerances? I did read somewhere that the downside is if you shoot them too much they will heat up and lock up. I've never seen one and I've shot a lot of revo matches.

Read this:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...r-the-revolver
    That was an interesting read, thanks. Didn't address the 'Best' issue but very informative. Not sure I would have the Kahunas to let someone shoot a clay held in front of me though, Don't care how good they think they are!.

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by medvedqc View Post
    at the time west indies was the favor ...
    And thankfully so.

CGN Regular
    Cold hammer forged barrels with stress relief. Compared to N.A" barrels that would have 11 degree of taper, the MR73 has a rolled tapper. It has two main springs that are user adjustable. One is for the hammer and the other for the trigger. The trigger assembly has 3 rollers making it very smooth. Single action could be had down to 1 pound. I had my MR73 Convertible down to 3 pounds double action. Every MR73 is shot factory rounds at 25 meters. It has to do 3/4 inch outside diameter group of 6 shots. My MR73 Silhouette with handloads and open Match sights, did 1.5 inches group at 150 Meters.

The GIGN used a MR73 Sport with 5 inch barrel as a sidearm. They also used 9 inch version with a bipod ad 4X scope as a sniper revolver. It was easier to carry than a scoped rifle and good for over 200M.

It was the first firearm to use CNC machining. Manurhin helped S & W setup their CNC machinery for their semi auto pistols. Manurhin is the world largest manufacturer of defense ammunition manufacturing machinery. General Dynamics who manufactures Canadian munitions outside of Montreal, uses Manurhin machinery.

They sold the revolver buisness and related CNC equipment to Chapuis, the world's largest manufacturer of African guns and numerous high end shotguns. I have the only 30 inch 28 gauge that they made. Chapuis was sold by the family to Beretta last year in February. They also sold the Manurhin IED Disrupter gun business. The Disrupter gun uses a 30mm electrically primed shell housing a water/glycol solution. It separates the components of the IED before it can arm and fire.

There is a very interesting forgotten weapons video on the GIGN “sniper” variant that explains many of the reasons it is considered superior.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxer2373 View Post
    You lost me with France and best in the world.
    If it weren't for the French military, we'd all be speaking Arabic. So many people are quick to belittle France's historic military contributions to the western world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Tours

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brutus's Avatar
    It's a very interesting piece indeed. However I will still reach for my Monson made Dan Wesson instead.
    And I can buy three of them in good used condition with patience for the cost of one of these including the barrel wrench.
    Peace
    Canadian government runs on trans, gays and French speaking women. Let them fight the next war over there.
    Myself i will crack a beer and merely watch.

Quote Originally Posted by gamebizz View Post
    Is that pronounced man-urine.
    Manufacture de Machines du Haut-Rhin

Mah-noo-rahn
    Stupidity is its own punishment.
    “The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride,”
    ~Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelenskyy

How do these compare to Korth wheel guns?
    "A gun is not a weapon, Marge, it's a tool. Like a butcher's knife or a harpoon, or...or an alligator."

CCFR/NFA Member

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast