Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Fresh From France, The Best revolver in the world?? Manurhin MR73 Sport 357/38spl

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brutus's Avatar
    The Dan Wesson in .41 Remington Magnum has won many a tournament metallic silhouette. Small grouping at 200 yards. I would like to see any .357 that could best it.
    Canadian government runs on trans, gays and French speaking women. Let them fight the next war over there.
    Myself i will crack a beer and merely watch.

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by infmaj View Post
    If it weren't for the French military, we'd all be speaking Arabic. So many people are quick to belittle France's historic military contributions to the western world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Tours
    That having been said, the Muslims of that era were often not the crazy Muslims we sometimes see today.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umayyad_Caliphate
    The Umayyad Caliphate ruled over a vast multiethnic and multicultural population. Christians, who still constituted a majority of the caliphate's population, and Jews were allowed to practice their own religion but had to pay a head tax (the jizya) from which Muslims were exempt.[8] There was, however, the Muslim-only zakat tax, which was earmarked explicitly for various welfare programmes.[8][9] Prominent positions were held by Christians, some of whom belonged to families that had served in Byzantine governments. The employment of Christians was part of a broader policy of religious accommodation that was necessitated by the presence of large Christian populations in the conquered provinces, as in Syria. This policy also boosted Muawiya's popularity and solidified Syria as his power base.[10][11] The Umayyad era is often considered the formative period in Islamic art.[12]
    In particular, in Spain it was the pope who forced the issue & made the Spanish kings to put the boots to the Muslims and make Spain solely a Christian country.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reconquista
    When the government of Córdoba disintegrated in the early 11th century, a series of petty successor states known as taifas emerged. The northern kingdoms took advantage of this situation and struck deep into Al-Andalus; they fostered civil war, intimidated the weakened taifas, and made them pay large tributes (parias) for "protection". After a Muslim resurgence in the 12th century, the great Moorish strongholds in the south fell to Christian forces in the 13th century after the decisive battle of Navas de Tolosa (1212) —Córdoba in 1236 and Seville in 1248—leaving only the Muslim enclave of Granada as a tributary state in the south. After 1492, the entire peninsula was controlled by Christian rulers. The conquest was followed by a series of edicts (1499–1526) which forced the conversions of Muslims in Spain, who were later expelled from the Iberian peninsula by the decrees of King Philip III in 1609
    Not that I'm defending one religion over another, I think they're all generally silly/want power/money, but just pointing out one isn't necessarily better/more altruistic than the other. Even had the French lost that battle, no-one knows how things would have played out. The Umayyad treated the Spaniards better than the Spaniards later treated them. And anyhow, invaders never last... unless you're going to do a Chinese or Soviet style immigration/sterilization program to wipe out the locals, then the locals will inevitably evert their self control.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brutus's Avatar
    One wonderful gift to the falconry world came about almost by shear accident. The bible of modern falconry published by King Edward III. He was convinced by the pope to lead a crusade. There was a truce (much to the anger of the Vatican) declared at Jerusalem city. Saracen invited the English king on a hosted falconry hunt. Thier methods of training birds of prey far superior to the practiced European methods.
    King Edward wrote this book, based on what he learned from Saracen, end of this crusade.
    It still is today's standard in modern times.
    Canadian government runs on trans, gays and French speaking women. Let them fight the next war over there.
    Myself i will crack a beer and merely watch.

CGN frequent flyer
    Even in the 90s an MR73 was 3 times the price of a S&W 686!
    Was it worth the money?
    It depends, at the time I would shoot 500 rounds of full load 357 Mag every week.
    The cost of ammunition alone meant that firearms cost were negligible.

The conclusion is the same for most shooting disciplines where the ammunition account for more than 80-90% of the costs.

Like exotic Italian super cars and high performance German cars, it’s not because you can’t afford one that you should not admire them. (I could barely afford a Porsche 911 )

Uber Super GunNutz
    Quote Originally Posted by Bratwurst View Post
    Not to disparage the French but in all honesty does anyone actually enjoy the taste of Champagne? I've tried high end and low end ones and they all just taste of acidic fizz to me.

I can enjoy a nice bit of wine, and I love cheese but I've just never thought Champagne was any good. I kind of think of it as a brilliant marketing success, everyone thinks that everyone else thinks it tastes great especially as it costs so much so one can't buck the trend.

Or I might just have a different palate :D
    The champagne have a good taste.
    It is not necessarily the most expensive which is the best but the best remains that of an independent winegrower.
    I'm official SAQ private importer and every years i buy more and more champagne.
    I also think it is a habit to drink this. it's expensive here but not there.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxer2373 View Post
    You lost me with France and best in the world.
    I grew up right next to France and if they claim something is "the best in the world", unless you can eat it or drink it, it's a lie

Edit: maybe the guy who made that claim is also convinced the FAMAS is the best service rifle ever made
    Play more, with Claymore

Quote Originally Posted by hnachaj1 View Post
    Cold hammer forged barrels with stress relief. Compared to N.A" barrels that would have 11 degree of taper, the MR73 has a rolled tapper. It has two main springs that are user adjustable. One is for the hammer and the other for the trigger. The trigger assembly has 3 rollers making it very smooth. Single action could be had down to 1 pound. I had my MR73 Convertible down to 3 pounds double action. Every MR73 is shot factory rounds at 25 meters. It has to do 3/4 inch outside diameter group of 6 shots. My MR73 Silhouette with handloads and open Match sights, did 1.5 inches group at 150 Meters.

The GIGN used a MR73 Sport with 5 inch barrel as a sidearm. They also used 9 inch version with a bipod ad 4X scope as a sniper revolver. It was easier to carry than a scoped rifle and good for over 200M.

It was the first firearm to use CNC machining. Manurhin helped S & W setup their CNC machinery for their semi auto pistols. Manurhin is the world largest manufacturer of defense ammunition manufacturing machinery. General Dynamics who manufactures Canadian munitions outside of Montreal, uses Manurhin machinery.

They sold the revolver buisness and related CNC equipment to Chapuis, the world's largest manufacturer of African guns and numerous high end shotguns. I have the only 30 inch 28 gauge that they made. Chapuis was sold by the family to Beretta last year in February. They also sold the Manurhin IED Disrupter gun business. The Disrupter gun uses a 30mm electrically primed shell housing a water/glycol solution. It separates the components of the IED before it can arm and fire.
    I had the opportunity to shoot this pistol quite some time ago. An old gentleman was kind enough to let a stranger shoot ten rounds out of his Manuhrin. Dont shoot one or youll sell ur first born to aquire one. Yes they are that nice and the accuracy is incredible. In my opinioin it is superior to all others, and Ive owned S&Ws,Dan Wesson,Ruger,Colts(including an old Python which i wish I still had). PS ur 28 guage is the most beautiful shotgun Ive ever seen. Wish I was more afluent and you wouldnt be the owner any longer!!! Jealous? Hell yeah. Its a one and only for sure.

One day I’ll have one of these.
    Sheet Metal Workers Local 409

I don't know much about revolvers nor have I shot many different kinds but I had a chance to shoot one of these in Europe years ago. All I can say is that it is an extraordinarily well made and extremely precise. My third and forth shots went through the same hole at 10 meters with most others touching each other. Again not a revolver person but if I was, a Manurhin would definitely be in the safe.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234