Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: I'm at my wits end.....how do I remove the dust cover from my MS ?

Quote Originally Posted by pmatuk View Post
    I just open the dust cover and come in with a Olaf knife and carefully not to cut my self ,come in beside the spring and and cut into the rod and pull forwards till I get enough sticking out to grab with pliers
    Kind of the idea I had early today....but the port rod I used when I built it is titanium...it's being difficult to cut into...I'll give it another go tomorrow when I'm more patient.
    You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life - W.C.

Member NFA

Quote Originally Posted by LeadMonkey View Post
    The MS hole for the dust cover pin is undersized, or at least my buddies was, it would not accept a standard size dust cover pin without a lot of encouragement, needless to say that thing is never coming out in one piece again, cut in several pieces... maybe.

Would be the last resort....starting to cut stuff apart is my least favorite preference, I can't see how my upper doesn't come out of that exercise without looking like it was chewed by a dog.
    You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life - W.C.

Member NFA

not sure what else to try ,maybe pull out the spring and its fine enough it should unravel by pulling on the long side and should give you enough space to get a decent area to use pliers to pull rod forwards ?
    have not forgotten the forgotten Winchesters ,the models 1905, 1907, and 1910 self-loading rifles
    martinis too

CGN Regular
    Before you cut it, you might be able to somehow cut a small slot on the body of the rod(assuming the springs are cut away). Insert a flathead and start hammering it. That way you may still have an intact dust cover. It's all theory though I've never tried.
    I want you to be pleased with your purchase, so do not hesitate one bit to ask questions before purchase! If we do decide to go forward with payment, I assume that you are satisfied with all info provided before payment. This is a polite as-is disclaimer.

I ship at least once a week on my day off.

Quote Originally Posted by vermintrex View Post
    Would be the last resort....starting to cut stuff apart is my least favorite preference, I can't see how my upper doesn't come out of that exercise without looking like it was chewed by a dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uisge View Post
    You may have to cut it. I’d try grabbing the rod wherever possible with needle nose pliers and tapping them with
    a small hammer (or a punch works well for tapping) to try to get the pin moving. Will depend on the style of cover if this is even possible. Squeeze the heck out of the pliers to get them to bite. Best of luck.
    Well then I would try the vice grip method and tap tap tap with patience like Uisge said until there is something to grab onto by the handguard end... that may also be impossible with a titanium pin/rod... personally I might consider just leave it alone with the dust cover already installed, honestly this may be a one time install only receiver.
    Verba volant, scripta manent!
    “When injustice becomes law, an armed rebellion becomes duty” ~ The Internet

Thanks for the suggestions guys...will sleep on it and get at the issue again tomorrow.

Member NFA

I am not up on this gun, but can you give the front a good wack with a plastic dead blow hammer? may jar it ahead.

good pair of needle nose vice grips ( vice grips ... not pliers). get a good lock on the end where you took the hand guard off, and tap on the vice grips with a hammer?

Question if it is tighter than a S.O.B to get it out.. then was it tighter than a S.O.B to get it in when you installed it ?
    Asking for a friend.
    Buy once and cry once. Sometimes half measures cost twice as much.
    Accuracy is a matter of time and money. How much do you want to spend?
    Coyotes outpace roadrunners by 23 mph. They do not outpace a 223 Remington, however.

This is a design flaw that should have been corrected. ATRS was asked about it several times and according to them it is working as intended.

CGN frequent flyer
    Save yourself the trouble for next time and just install one of the strike industries ultimate dust covers.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast