Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: I'm at my wits end.....how do I remove the dust cover from my MS ?

Quote Originally Posted by Youzawhale View Post
    Save yourself the trouble for next time and just install one of the strike industries ultimate dust covers.
    That is exactly what I'm hoping to install in place of the V7 I used in the initial build which refuses to stay closed.
    You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life - W.C.

Member NFA

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    I am not up on this gun, but can you give the front a good wack with a plastic dead blow hammer? may jar it ahead.
    This is exactly what I did with mine to get it out. I whacked the back of the receiver a couple times to get the rod to stick out enough to grab it with needle nose pliers.

Save yourself the trouble for next time and just install one of the strike industries ultimate dust covers.
    FWIW I purchased the Strike Industries Ultimate dust cover and it would not close on the FA upper (latest batch).

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by takeyerswing View Post
    FWIW I purchased the Strike Industries Ultimate dust cover and it would not close on the FA upper (latest batch).
    Thats weird. Have you tried adjusting the pin on the dust cover?

CGN Regular
    Mine wasn't working. I adjusted the set screw but right before closing I noticed that the set screw would basically mar up the half circle slot really well in order to "fit"

I guess check yours to see if theres any marring. IMHO it's not worth it just to use the Strike Industries covers.
    I want you to be pleased with your purchase, so do not hesitate one bit to ask questions before purchase! If we do decide to go forward with payment, I assume that you are satisfied with all info provided before payment. This is a polite as-is disclaimer.

I ship at least once a week on my day off.

Cut in half, remove an inch from the inside, work back piece out, then use a punch on the barrel nut side and drive the other one out. It is a slightly undersized hole so have patience.
    Great men are not born great, they grow great.

Quote Originally Posted by Patruick View Post
    Cut in half, remove an inch from the inside, work back piece out, then use a punch on the barrel nut side and drive the other one out. It is a slightly undersized hole so have patience.
    Cut it with what ? It's such a tight tolerance to the side of the receiver I can't imagine what to use to cut it without doing damage to the receiver wall.

Regardless, I'm at the point of no return now, the tension spring is mangled by trying to unwind it off the rod enough to get a grip on the rod with pliers to try tapping the rod forward....but the wire just broke and I can't get a grip on it any more to keep unwinding.....and I've dinged the receiver a couple times as the pliers slipped, cut right through the tape I used to try and avoid scratches.

Grrr
    You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life - W.C.

Member NFA

Quote Originally Posted by vermintrex View Post
    Cut it with what ? It's such a tight tolerance to the side of the receiver I can't imagine what to use to cut it without doing damage to the receiver wall.

Regardless, I'm at the point of no return now, the tension spring is mangled by trying to unwind it off the rod enough to get a grip on the rod with pliers to try tapping the rod forward....but the wire just broke and I can't get a grip on it any more to keep unwinding.....and I've dinged the receiver a couple times as the pliers slipped, cut right through the tape I used to try and avoid scratches.

Grrr
    Man, that sucks. All I can add is to add a little heat to the pin bore most likely the back to try and get it to open up a bit, some penetrating oil, and maybe some side cutters in place of pliers to bite a bit harder onto the rod? I feel like the rod must have been pounded in all the way. It doesn’t need to go that deep into the bore, just has to clear the barrel nut. And don’t feel too bad, my receivers have gained a few scratches from assembling/disassembling. I use a sharpie to hide them a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Uisge View Post
    Man, that sucks. All I can add is to add a little heat to the pin bore most likely the back to try and get it to open up a bit, some penetrating oil, and maybe some side cutters in place of pliers to bite a bit harder onto the rod? I feel like the rod must have been pounded in all the way. It doesn’t need to go that deep into the bore, just has to clear the barrel nut. And don’t feel too bad, my receivers have gained a few scratches from assembling/disassembling. I use a sharpie to hide them a bit.
    Dude ! Side cutters did the trick ! Just slid right out after a couple taps, thanks for the tip !

Feel pretty stupid, they were right there on the bench the whole time, but I tried everything but them first lol.

Oh, and I managed to find the remainder of the spring stuck into the bottom of my foot : )

Member NFA

Welp, the conclusion to this 15min job that ended up taking a good part of two days, is that the Strike Industries Ultimate Billet dust cover will only stay closed if the adjustment screw for the plunger detent is making contact with the receivers ejection port.

If I back off the adjustment screw enough that only the plunger makes contact, then it won't hold the door shut. With the adjustment screw making contact, the door will stay in the closed position, but leaves a healthy gap between the door and the ejection port, thus pretty much negating the whole purpose of a dust cover.

Another possible issue, which I haven't had a chance to test yet, is the short "arm" of the coil spring seems to sit a little higher than the V7 spring it replaced, maybe a millimetre above the ejection port cutout. Will be interesting to see if it interferes with ejected casing trajectory. Might be able to cut it back a hair, but will wait to see if it actually causes an issue.

Anyway, the rig is back together and torqued up, so I'll be living with this sub-par dust cover experience for awhile, not in the mood to throw another $80 at a problem I shouldn't have to spend this much time troubleshooting.

Member NFA

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast