Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: I'm at my wits end.....how do I remove the dust cover from my MS ?

I'm at my wits end.....how do I remove the dust cover from my MS ?

I apologize for not posting in an existing thread about builds, but I'm about to have a tantrum and hope someone can offer some insight how to get the ejection port cover rod out of my MS upper.

Handguard is off, barrel nut is off.....but I can't get that damned rod to move out of the upper.....there's nothing to grab onto, no way to tap it out forward from the rear etc. I've tried using a utility knife to "twist" it forward, a toothpick to try to get it to move.....lots of swearing, that didn't work.

All the Youtube vids show how to remove it from a traditional upper with open detent holes on both ends, but these MS only have one open end, so it can only go one way.

Anyway, if anyone has a trick up their sleeve, I'm all ears.

Thanks
    You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life - W.C.

Member NFA

Is there a small c-clip or snap ring? Some of mine have them.

Youtube.

No c-clip, not needed on the MS as the rod is captured by the barrel nut, and hand guard.

I've Youtube'd the crap out of this, trust me, I didn't want to ask for advice. But everything I find is a demonstration based on the AR-15 platform, which allows a punch/drift tool to be used on either side of the port rod....the MS only has one way to move the rod...towards the front of the upper....I can't figure out how to get that rod to move, there's nothing to grab onto or tap.
    You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life - W.C.

Member NFA

You may have to cut it. I’d try grabbing the rod wherever possible with needle nose pliers and tapping them with a small hammer (or a punch works well for tapping) to try to get the pin moving. Will depend on the style of cover if this is even possible. Squeeze the heck out of the pliers to get them to bite. Best of luck.

It's the long weekend so the folks at ATRS might not be checking CGN. I'd send them an email and wait for their response before doing any cutting.

Quote Originally Posted by Uisge View Post
    You may have to cut it. I’d try grabbing the rod wherever possible with needle nose pliers and tapping them with a small hammer (or a punch works well for tapping) to try to get the pin moving. Will depend on the style of cover if this is even possible. Squeeze the heck out of the pliers to get them to bite. Best of luck.
    Thanks buddy, will try a bit more brute force option at this point, was hoping there was a more elegant solution. Trying not to scratch the receiver, but my impatience is getting the best of me.

Member NFA

Quote Originally Posted by Mik123 View Post
    It's the long weekend so the folks at ATRS might not be checking CGN. I'd send them an email and wait for their response before doing any cutting.

Yeah, I figured it might be a slow weekend to get input. Just got a bug in my head to make a couple adjustments to the rig, now it's half torn apart lol.

The Geissele Super 42 braided buffer spring was installed in probably less than 5min, the dust cover has eaten up about 5 hours.

Member NFA

I just open the dust cover and come in with a Olaf knife and carefully not to cut my self ,come in beside the spring and and cut into the rod and pull forwards till I get enough sticking out to grab with pliers
    have not forgotten the forgotten Winchesters ,the models 1905, 1907, and 1910 self-loading rifles
    martinis too

Quote Originally Posted by vermintrex View Post
    I apologize for not posting in an existing thread about builds, but I'm about to have a tantrum and hope someone can offer some insight how to get the ejection port cover rod out of my MS upper.

Handguard is off, barrel nut is off.....but I can't get that damned rod to move out of the upper.....there's nothing to grab onto, no way to tap it out forward from the rear etc. I've tried using a utility knife to "twist" it forward, a toothpick to try to get it to move.....lots of swearing, that didn't work.

All the Youtube vids show how to remove it from a traditional upper with open detent holes on both ends, but these MS only have one open end, so it can only go one way.

Anyway, if anyone has a trick up their sleeve, I'm all ears.

Thanks
    The MS hole for the dust cover pin is undersized, or at least my buddies was, it would not accept a standard size dust cover pin without a lot of encouragement, needless to say that thing is never coming out in one piece again, cut in several pieces... maybe.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast