Thread: Handgun Transfer Reference Number

CGN Regular

Handgun Transfer Reference Number

Good day,

What would you consider a reasonable amount of time to receive a handgun transfer reference number from your shop?

Given the recent changes to the transfer policy, how could someone know if their purchase made the deadline or not if they haven’t been given a transfer reference number?

I had dealings with another business that had it sent out to me within a week of the purchase being made. Just trying to get a better idea on processing times and if orders are being updated with reference numbers.

Thank you.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Call the seller and Ask or call the CFC and ask.

Easy solutions

Email them and tell them you're going to file a chargeback with your credit card unless you have a transfer number by end of business day.

As a firearms dealer, they should know EXACTLY what is in their building, and what the status of every single firearm is.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Impact View Post
    Good day,

What would you consider a reasonable amount of time to receive a handgun transfer reference number from your shop?

Given the recent changes to the transfer policy, how could someone know if their purchase made the deadline or not if they haven’t been given a transfer reference number?

I had dealings with another business that had it sent out to me within a week of the purchase being made. Just trying to get a better idea on processing times and if orders are being updated with reference numbers.

Thank you.
    Call the CFC at 0900 local time and select the 1 for English and 3 for the ATT option. Ask them for any references under your name and they can complete 2 over the phone per phone call. I called in this morning without a reference number and it was still able to be completed. My understanding is if you choose the transfer option, you are calling the same office as everyone else in Canada. If you call the ATT extension is dealt with within your own province with significantly lower callers.

YMMV but I've done this for 12 transfers over the past month and have 100% success rate with no hold time (I'm in Manitoba). The transfer notification is e-mailed to you while you're still on the phone with the CFO.