Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dominant eye check before purchase?

Dominant eye check before purchase?

Hello folks,

I am a rookie deciding on a a firearm to start target shooting and hunting in the future. I tentatively decided on a .22 LR center-fire cartridge.

Do I have to investigate my dominant eye first before deciding a left or a right hand rifle? Any tips how to find out! I will go hunt on YouTube meanwhile!

Thanks for your generous input
    Flyer91-> -> ->

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Gatehouse's Avatar
    Most people are dominant hand/eye coordinated but cross eye dominant is quite common. The only RH/LH rifles really are bolt actions. Semis, pumps and levers don't really matter.

Sure, you should determine if you are cross dominant and then go from there. Lots of RH but left eye dominant shooters just close their left eye, but a surprising amount of people simply can't close their dominant eye. Chances are you are "normal" anyway. Most people are.

It's easier to train your hands than your eyes.
    375 Ruger is the NEW KING of the .375's. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

CGN frequent flyer
    Eye dominance was super easy for me to determine. Just look at something, then think, "which eye am I actually looking at this thing with?". Which is a different question from "Can I see it with both eyes?".

I may not be like all as I'm very left eye dominant, but I think if it's not obvious to you when you try and figure it out, you can prob go either way.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Look at something like a tree with both eyes open, hold up a finger covering said tree then close one eye then the other, the eye that the finger doesn’t move is your dominate eye.
    Hearts and Minds; Two best places to shoot
    Fighting in a basement provides challenges, Number 1 your fighting in a basement!

Wasn't something like making a diamond with your index and thumb on your hands, look thru and bringing it closer to your face. It should goto the dominant eye?

Yup something like that..

https://www.allaboutvision.com/resou...t-eye-test.htm
    April 8th, remember 22 Bravo. Take a min to remember the Fallen.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer91 View Post
    Hello folks,

I am a rookie deciding on a a firearm to start target shooting and hunting in the future. I tentatively decided on a .22 LR rimfire cartridge.

Do I have to investigate my dominant eye first before deciding a left or a right hand rifle? Any tips how to find out! I will go hunt on YouTube meanwhile!

I fixed that for you.

Poke a small hole in a piece of paper. Hold said paper at arms length and focus on an object with both eyes open and draw the paper closer maintaining focus on the object. You will inevitably draw it to your dominant eye. I am left handed and right eye dominant. I shoot pistols ambidextrously and everything else right handed.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer91 View Post
    Hello folks,

I am a rookie deciding on a a firearm to start target shooting and hunting in the future. I tentatively decided on a .22 LR center-fire cartridge.

I did just this, I am left handed and right eye dominant, so I bought a right handed bolt rifle and decided to 'train' my handedness. Yeah good luck with that. After 2 or so years I sold the rifle and have decide I will train my eyes instead. I have a right handed Winchester wildcat that I shoot left handed and when I shot it I didn't even notice the cartridges ejecting so there is that too i guess.

edit: to determine eye dominance hold your hands together to forma triangle at arms length and focus on something through the triangle with both eyes, alternate closing one, the eye that holds whatever you were looking at in the triangle is the dominant eye.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    It's easier to train your hands than your eyes.
    I disagree with this statement.

The root of all evil, near Ottawa Ontario
    Sort of off topic but what do you think of the wildcat? I watched a few videos and it looks like a nice rig.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast