Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone still send in their PAL application without their safety course papers?

Question Does anyone still send in their PAL application without their safety course papers?

Hello all.

I just passed my safety course this week, and am now looking at my PAL application. One of the stickied threads suggests that you can send in your application *without* the safety course papers to get a head start on the 28 day waiting period. I'm assuming you send in the safety course papers later when you get them, presumably with information to correlate them with the PAL application.

Has anyone done this recently? Did it make a noticeable difference? I'm eager to shave off any time I can, given that it looks like they are 4-5 months behind in processing right now given everything going on. From what the instructor was saying, courses are now running busier than ever, which doesn't bode well for the backlog shortening while we wait.

I sent mine in late August without the course report. The course report came 4 weeks later. When I called they said I can fax it in after the application starts showing up online as you need the application ID for them to match it up (still waiting for that lol)

Yes, I'd send it now to get your application placed on the backlog. I don't know if it'll make an appreciable difference right now with the 3+ month backlog, but I sure wouldn't want to be waiting behind the huge amount of courses being done right now.

Did you not get your safety course results and papers when you did your course? I had mine when i left the coarse. Maybe they are different in different provinces.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumbleboom View Post
    Did you not get your safety course results and papers when you did your course? I had mine when i left the coarse. Maybe they are different in different provinces.
    Ontario, naturally. The biggest exercise in make work I have seen for sure. The instructor sends in the copy of the course report you fill in during the course (page 1+2), stamp it with the date they stamped it, and send it to you. It is insane when no other province does that.

Maybe it's an excuse to allow instructors to charge $300 for combined courses...

Quote Originally Posted by Rumbleboom View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by virulent View Post
    Ontario, naturally. The biggest exercise in make work I have seen for sure. The instructor sends in the copy of the course report you fill in during the course (page 1+2), stamp it with the date they stamped it, and send it to you. It is insane when no other province does that.

Maybe it's an excuse to allow instructors to charge $300 for combined courses...
    ^^ Exactly. I'm in Ontario. FSESO says to allow 4-6 weeks, and the instructor was saying he has former students let him know when the papers come back - they are running about 5 weeks behind right now. It's looking like my course papers should come in at the end of October. If the PAL applications are 5-6 months behind right now, I'm thinking that situation will hardly be better then given that at least the instructor we had says he's running 6 nights a week and is booked solid into mid-November...

The root of all evil, near Ottawa Ontario
    I sent mine in late August without the course report. The course report came 4 weeks later. When I called they said I can fax it in after the application starts showing up online as you need the application ID for them to match it up (still waiting for that lol)

Yes, I'd send it now to get your application placed on the backlog. I don't know if it'll make an appreciable difference right now with the 3+ month backlog, but I sure wouldn't want to be waiting behind the huge amount of courses being done right now.
    I’m in the exact same boat. Can you share an example of what the enclosed note should contain? I have my application ready to go I just want to get a feel of what my note should say regarding the course report following later.

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Shrav View Post
    I’m in the exact same boat. Can you share an example of what the enclosed note should contain? I have my application ready to go I just want to get a feel of what my note should say regarding the course report following later.

Thanks in advance!
    I just did a pretty boring short formal letter for the cover page. Something like "Enclosed is my application for PAL/RPAL blah blah blah. I did not attach the course reports but have completed both courses on Aug 21-23. I will follow up with CFP on how to fax this when it arrives." I also marked "to be faxed later" or something next to the "proof attached" checkboxes in section G.

My CC hasn't been charged yet and it's not showing online either. So definitely quite wise to send it off early :-)
    Last edited by virulent; 11-25-2020 at 03:27 PM.

I just did a pretty boring short formal letter for the cover page. Something like "Enclosed is my application for PAL/RPAL blah blah blah. I did not attach the course reports but have completed both courses on Aug 21-23. I will follow up with CFP on how to fax this when it arrives." I also marked "to be faxed later" or something next to the "proof attached" checkboxes in section G.

My CC hasn't been charged yet and it's not showing online either. So definitely quite wise to send it off early :-)
    I did the same and attached a sticky note on the page with the "proof attached" page. Mailed it registered on Monday and tracking say it will be delivered by tomorrow. Now the waiting for a) my stamped course to come in and b) to see it online so I have a reference ID. Waiting is fun

Did you hear anything back about this yet? I just finidhed my Non restricted 24-25 Nov and restricted Dec 7-8.

Quote Originally Posted by AKOTTAWA View Post
    Did you hear anything back about this yet? I just finidhed my Non restricted 24-25 Nov and restricted Dec 7-8.
    If you are asking me, I don't expect to have my paperwork back from the CFO until likely likely January (I sent my PAL app off on Nov 23) Then I'll contact them and see how they want me to proceed. I will update as I move along. Patience isn't my strong suit and this is killing me lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast