Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger /Marlin

Contributing Dealer Prophet River's Avatar

Ruger /Marlin

As many have now heard Ruger has acquired Marlin firearms. We are unsure how this will affect availability in the short to mid term. (and long term as far as models and pricing)
    https://ruger.com/corporate/marlin.html
    www.prophetriver.com
    inquiries - 780-875-0575 / info@prophetriver.com
    Prophet River Firearms
    4206 66th Ave
    Lloydminster, AB
    T9V 3S9

Our Marlin firearms may have just went up in value. Hopefully Ruger will make a nice Marlin rifle even better!......
    The only government I trust is 45-70 Government!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer VICIOUS's Avatar
    RUGER, king of the casters.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Ballard rifling in all levers and a 1-20 twist in the .44 mag

CGN Regular
    Lets hope the employees don't sabotage the tooling as when Cerberus took over Marlin.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer nowarningshot's Avatar
    So Remlins will be thought of in the same light as push feed post 64 Model 70's?

Ruger casting 1895 guide guns, giving it the "American " treatment. More likely, its going to be much like the #1. What stood out for me was the ridiculous low auction price. Thirty million, wow, thats a dozen houses in Vancouver.

Its hard to see how Ruger could take over, and do a worse job than Remington did after they acquired Marlin.
    A free society must outlaw harming innocent people to function, but when we seek to curtail what all of us can do, rather than holding each of us responsible for what we actually do, we give up on freedom itself.

This is absolutely fantastic news. I think Ruger understands the value of good quality craftsmanship and they understand
    the need for quality working man's firearms. I was fortunate enough to acquire a fine example of a 1978 336 carbine and
    none of the Remlin products that I have handled even comes close.
    There are absolutely no absolutes! :D

CGN Regular

The 1894 in true to spec pistol calibers.

Quote Originally Posted by mbogo3 View Post
    Ballard rifling in all levers and a 1-20 twist in the .44 mag
    I also feel strongly about that. I bought an 1894 in 44 Mag/Spl and was able to get 1 load to shoot decently after 3 months of testing. I sold the 1894, the 44 Mag Rifle specs are out to lunch. IMHO the rifling, bore/groove and twist should be the same as for the pistol.

The 44 Mag rifle spec is 0.431" minimum groove, 0.424" minimum bore with a 1:38 twist.

And just in case you want to blame Remington, it was JM that came up with the SAAMI spec for the 44 rifle. Utter garbage, IMNSHO.

Make it the same as the pistol spec; 0.429" minimum groove, 0.417" minimum bore with a 1:20 twist.

Anyone can do the math, in a rifle the grooves are only 0.0035" deep, a bit more than half as deep as the 0.006" deep grooves in a rifle.

And if that wasn't bad enough, Marlin dicked with the specs for the 45 Colt as well, slowing the twist to suit patched round balls, the 1894 is not a muzzle loader.

The only chambering that Marlin did not mess up was the 357 Mag.

A bit off the topic but my other pet peeve are the 0.429" bullets that LEE molds cast for the 44. SAAMI calls for a 0.432" max bullet diameter on the ammunition and the throats in the cylinders are 0.4325" minimum, in who's world would a 0.429" cast bullet work, certainly not in mine, I tried.

Just to put this all into perspective I recently bought a Uberti 1873 rifle in 45 Colt, and a Ruger Vaquero in 45 Colt as well. Load development took a day or 2 for the rifle. The handgun shoots the rifle load so that load development was over before it began. My mold is a LEE that casts 0.452" and I size to 0.451" as the grooves in the Uberti run a bit small at 0.451". My bullet alloy is clip on wheel weights with a bit of tin, nothing special. The Vaquero has throat and groove specs that allow it to run clean with my rifle ammo. Throats are tight at a bit under 0.451" and the groove diameter is around 0.451". With my load it shoots to the sights and is way better than cowboy accurate.

That is how it should be.

Every caliber has it's idiosyncrasies, but the 44 Mag got real messed up. But the worst is the 1:38 Marlin twist.
    LaBoeuf : ...You could argue that the shooting of the dog was merely an instance of malum prohibitum, but the shooting of a senator is indubitably an instance of malum in se.
    Rooster Cogburn : Malla-men what?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer caramel's Avatar
    Well there is hope, after experiencing the worst rifle ( Sendero ) ever, i have been boycoting all product Marlington but now Ruger pichthitting could bring back the famous model 96.

My 96-44 is the best lever i own.
    Now that we know, i am dreaming of a 96-444. Yep.
    Yep, fixed wing is great but rotary wing is ... GREAT. Life is good. JP.

hopefully this translates to an improved quality of Marlin firearms.

as for myself, I would love to see some new Ruger lever-arms, overbuilt to handle insane hand-loads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast