Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ruger /Marlin

Quote Originally Posted by midnightvisions View Post
    Lets hope the employees don't sabotage the tooling as when Cerberus took over Marlin.
    Could you please share the source of this information?.....
    The only government I trust is 45-70 Government!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer 8 ball's Avatar
    ^Wss widely publicized back in the day....

This is great news

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderhog View Post
    Our Marlin firearms may have just went up in value. Hopefully Ruger will make a nice Marlin rifle even better!......
    Just like Remington did!

I own a Remington built 45-70 guide rifle, stainless, laminate stock, and the fit and finish is very nice and works flawlessly. Must be hit and miss. I did have a choice out of 5 or 6 at the time of purchase though.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by nitro-express View Post
    I also feel strongly about that. I bought an 1894 in 44 Mag/Spl and was able to get 1 load to shoot decently after 3 months of testing. I sold the 1894, the 44 Mag Rifle specs are out to lunch. IMHO the rifling, bore/groove and twist should be the same as for the pistol.

The 44 Mag rifle spec is 0.431" minimum groove, 0.424" minimum bore with a 1:38 twist.

And just in case you want to blame Remington, it was JM that came up with the SAAMI spec for the 44 rifle. Utter garbage, IMNSHO.

Make it the same as the pistol spec; 0.429" minimum groove, 0.417" minimum bore with a 1:20 twist.

Anyone can do the math, in a rifle the grooves are only 0.0035" deep, a bit more than half as deep as the 0.006" deep grooves in a rifle.

And if that wasn't bad enough, Marlin dicked with the specs for the 45 Colt as well, slowing the twist to suit patched round balls, the 1894 is not a muzzle loader.

The only chambering that Marlin did not mess up was the 357 Mag.

A bit off the topic but my other pet peeve are the 0.429" bullets that LEE molds cast for the 44. SAAMI calls for a 0.432" max bullet diameter on the ammunition and the throats in the cylinders are 0.4325" minimum, in who's world would a 0.429" cast bullet work, certainly not in mine, I tried.

Just to put this all into perspective I recently bought a Uberti 1873 rifle in 45 Colt, and a Ruger Vaquero in 45 Colt as well. Load development took a day or 2 for the rifle. The handgun shoots the rifle load so that load development was over before it began. My mold is a LEE that casts 0.452" and I size to 0.451" as the grooves in the Uberti run a bit small at 0.451". My bullet alloy is clip on wheel weights with a bit of tin, nothing special. The Vaquero has throat and groove specs that allow it to run clean with my rifle ammo. Throats are tight at a bit under 0.451" and the groove diameter is around 0.451". With my load it shoots to the sights and is way better than cowboy accurate.

That is how it should be.

Every caliber has it's idiosyncrasies, but the 44 Mag got real messed up. But the worst is the 1:38 Marlin twist.
    Same ROT for the .444 Marlin and Ballard rifling.

CGN Regular

Marlin Ballard Rifling.

Quote Originally Posted by mbogo3 View Post
    Same ROT for the .444 Marlin and Ballard rifling.
    If the 444 Marlin doesn't has the same type of shallow groove Ballard rifling that my 1894 44 Mag/Spl had, I'd be surprised. When Marlin went to "Ballard Like" rifling, in essence they just rifled the barrels with half as many microgrooves and called it a day. IMHO, a 0.003" shallow groove is not the same as a 0.006" or deeper Ballard groove.

Nitro
    LaBoeuf : ...You could argue that the shooting of the dog was merely an instance of malum prohibitum, but the shooting of a senator is indubitably an instance of malum in se.
    Rooster Cogburn : Malla-men what?

A new 336 with a standard loop but no barrel bands in 308 marlin express with ballard rifling would be awesome.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12