Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chiappa M1-9 Carbine Polymer Stock 9mm Non-Restricted

CGN Ultra frequent flyer beltfed's Avatar
    A neat little 9mm carbine, unfortunately poorly executed by Chiappa. I bought one when they first came out at around $380 new, on sale.
    Cost cutting on some of the features to meet the price point, I can understand. However, the fact the mags insert near on vertical means the bullets are at a steep angle for the bolt to strip the round from the mag and chamber it, which I believe is the leading reason for the poor feeding and functioning of this firearm.

I found the mags do 'break in' however and failures to feed would drop to around once or twice in a couple of mags.
    I sold it on for a considerable loss with full disclosure and after the purchaser ran some mags through it.
    He was happy at getting a decent deal and I was left vowing never to purchase another Chiappa product again.

Quote Originally Posted by chillyrabbit View Post
    Curious. I distinctly recall it had a bolt hold open button on the top of the charging handle similar to the original M1.
    By this fellows account, it would appear they have done some tweaking with it to solve the feeding issues.
    It would be handy to have someone do a side by side comparison between older and newer versions.
    Last edited by beltfed; 10-04-2020 at 01:38 AM.
    Life Member CCFR and CSSA
    Posts made by the pseudonym "Beltfed" may not accurately reflect the beliefs and opinions of the Registered User.

Quote Originally Posted by SurplusNut15 View Post
    Unfortunately the one I had a while back was probably the worst semi-automatic rifle I've ever owned in terms of functionality, it shot pretty well and had nice sights but it stovepiped practically every shot, even with the recommended Mec-Gar magazines, and I tried cheapo Blazer stuff then went up to a pretty expensive and hotter round and it didn't help it at all. I think these are a fantastic idea and would love a 9mm M1 Carbine but I just feel like they're poorly implemented in general. To those who have great luck with theirs I'm glad, but mine reflected all of the poor reviews I had seen of them before sadly.

Biggest POS firearm I’ve owned in 45 years of owning firearms. Mine had extreme bolt issues. Twice it fired 1 round and locked up with a live round in the chamber, but would not fire. Once fired 2 rounds and then locked up. After the last repair, fired 5 rounds and locked up. Now it sits in the safe split in 3 parts never to see the light of day again. 4 repairs, 9 rounds fired. I didn’t return it at the start because it sat in the safe for 2 years before I tried it.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer caramel's Avatar
    I have break in one for a friend, out of 100 rounds, it was just 100% reliable, a lot of plastic, that is unpleasant but, i find with a small 100 rounds tests to be fun...
    Yep, fixed wing is great but rotary wing is ... GREAT. Life is good. JP.

I really enjoy mine, BUT, it is finicky regarding mags. The one it came with works flawless. I have a couple others that it doesn’t like at all. Keep it clean and lubed and it runs fine. Not the most accurate, but that’s most likely to do with the stock rear sight loosening off quite often. I have a USGI site on the way that I will fit to it and then see.

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Phteven View Post
    I really enjoy mine, BUT, it is finicky regarding mags. The one it came with works flawless. I have a couple others that it doesn’t like at all. Keep it clean and lubed and it runs fine. Not the most accurate, but that’s most likely to do with the stock rear sight loosening off quite often. I have a USGI site on the way that I will fit to it and then see.
    When Chiappa made the M1-9 they made it with Metric measurements instead of Imperial so the USGI sight won't fit. If the rear sight is loose, adjust the windage all the way to the right and you should see a small set screw at the bottom of the sight.

remove the set screw, loctite it with red/blue and reinstall it. The rear sight is held on the M1-9 only by the friction of that screw pushing down on the dovetail. The violent recoil of the heavy 9mm Blowback unit tends to make that screw loosen itself which results in the whole sight moving around.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer sailor723's Avatar
    It seems weird to complain about a product not costing enough but that's the case here. I think Chiappa built this to too low of a price point. I'd be all over it at $800-900 or so for a well made version with reliable function and provision for easy red dot installation.
    Fan of Browning Hi-Powers and both S&W and Colt revolvers

Chiappa shows a mount on their website that dovetails on the receiver over the chamber for a red dot, but any dealer I talked to told be to order it directly from them. I’ve got several hundred rounds through mine now; it only chokes after 4-500 rounds without being cleaned. Accuracy isn’t great, but it is fun.
    Slava Ukraini!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    How many magazines?

Quote Originally Posted by sailor723 View Post
    It seems weird to complain about a product not costing enough but that's the case here. I think Chiappa built this to too low of a price point. I'd be all over it at $800-900 or so for a well made version with reliable function and provision for easy red dot installation.
    Also, the plastic stock has to be the cheapest looking in the entire history of firearms. I advise everyone to spend the extra few bucks on the wood.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast