Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151727 ... LastLast

Thread: ++UPDATE Dec 22/ 21++ Kel Tec CMR-30 with Dlask Arms Barrel now NON-RESTRICTED !

CGN frequent flyer
    RCMP don't make the law. If it checks all the boxes for legal status as NR then it is, might be a court case if some picky crown wants to pursue charges, but the legislature is what matters.
    CCFR Member

Morning guys. So, to answer the GSG-16 vs. CMR-30 stock pinning question. The GSG-16 is already non-restricted and therefore we simply swapped barrels and modified the 'stock' to maintain minimum OAL. There was no change of status needed. However. To change the status of a Restricted firearms the firearm cannot have been modified by reducing cutting, sawing blah blah to the rear portion of the gun. There is NO mention of swapping barrels to make it a longer OAL. We originally tried to come up with something more simple and user friendly to install :

Name:  block.jpg
Views: 1429
Size:  80.4 KB

We made this nifty little block that screws between a slot under the Picatinny rail on the top which limits the stock movement. Once black Loctite has been applied this thing would need to be machined out to remove it. We asked the RCMP Lab if this was cool and were told flat out 'No', because of the rule I mentioned above, and that ended that idea. This kind of had us scratching our heads because this was exactly the same method of making the rifle N/R as what another company had done which is when were told "Why do you think they aren't bring more in if it was kosher with the RCMP ?" There is currently NOT an FRT number for a non-restricted CMR-30. I did however send the a Verification Report yesterday informing them of what we did to this rifle, along with the barrel length and OAL dimensions so hopefully a child entry will be forthcoming soon.

Taking a new approach we decided to make a new, longer barrel and just leave the back of the rifle alone. This is the same thing we do to change the status on any Restricted firearm and is seen as an acceptable method per the RCMP. The B&T's, USC's, P-08 Lugers, all short barreled hand guns etc. use a longer barrel to change their status from P to R or from R to N/R. Will this method be 'interpreted' as not allowed in the future ? Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of the Lab.

I know that some of you have perused the regs, criminal code and firearms act etc. and you think that navigating the 'interpretations' of the SFSS Lab is a breeze. 'Hey Dlask, why don't you just do this or that.....?' Seems easy, right ?

No, no it's not. Regardless of how smart you think you are or how many threads you've read on CGN it is NEVER that easy. This is why the general non-shooting public seldom, if ever, understand our frustration as a community. When you try to explain the inconsistencies and irregularities all brought on by vague rules, if you can call them that, and the ever changing 'interpretations' by the SFSS they just go glassy eyed and think you're making it all up as a gun toting crazy arse redneck. "There's NO way that's how it is, it makes NO sense !" they say. But, they're 100% wrong because the rules we have to follow are that messed up. And if our old friend JT gets re-elected in the next election it's going to get so much worse...

I digress, sorry.

So for those of you that say we are employing a 'sales tactic' or whatever, no we are not. These are the ridiculous rules made for us, the common serf, living in an RCMP / Libtard controlled gun world and we are forced to comply whether we have a common sense argument against them or not.

We cannot make a longer hand guard, sorry Mr. Files, simply because the body of the gun is an extrusion and we would need to sink serious dough into getting dies made to have our own extrusion to play with. Pretty sure Kel Tec isn't going to sell us some of theirs although since we are friendly with the official Canadian distributor I suppose I could ask....
    Last edited by Dlask Arms; 10-09-2020 at 12:29 PM.
    Cheers,
    Leigh
    Dlask Arms Corp.
    www.dlaskarms.com

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

I just love how everyone was backseat driving on DLASK about "just pin the stock!" when that was the first thing they tried to do lol.

This is great to see. The CMR30 practically begs to be NR and until KelTec makes a factory NR version, this looks like the best way to go about it. I'm stoked.

Quote Originally Posted by Samperfudge View Post
    I'm interested in this as well. Bought a restricted cmr30 and installed a permanent stock spacer to increase overall length. It's been submitted to RCMP for re-classification, awaiting results... Been about 1 month so far.
    Eagerly awaiting to hear if you are successful. Maybe start a new thread, I would be interested in seeing how you did it.

Dlask any idea how soon you’ll be able start producing these? I’d put money down on one right now!!!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer caramel's Avatar
    Here how it goes... Ship CMR30 restricted to Dlask... Dlask rebarrel and change status, job top notch, say thanks and pay... Easy.
    Yep, fixed wing is great but rotary wing is ... GREAT. Life is good. JP.

Quote Originally Posted by caramel View Post
    Here how it goes... Ship CMR30 restricted to Dlask... Dlask rebarrel and change status, job top notch, say thanks and pay... Easy.
    Lol, hopefully it is that easy ! We will let you know when to ship it once we have the barrels back from CNC / bluing. We may make a limited run of barrels and Nitride them as well if anyone would be interested in something like that.....

Once the barrels get here I will post up a new thread announcing these for sale. Until then everyone please refrain from sending emails and phone calls asking to get on the list because as of right now there is no list.

Until then, I'm going to murder some beer cans in the bush with my new N/R .22 WinMag ( :
    Cheers,
    Leigh
    Dlask Arms Corp.
    www.dlaskarms.com

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

“ Firearms adapted from a rifle or shotgun, whether by sawing, cutting or any other alteration, and that, as so adapted are:
    less than 660 mm in length
    660 mm or greater in length and has a barrel less than 457 mm in length"

Unfortunately According the regulation, this is consistent. Now if the CMR30 was initally BUILT as a 660mm NR (which I believe there is no proof the others weren't, regardless I am not saying they are okay or not, just extending benefit of the doubt), Then it would be a-okay. Unfortunately the ones at the distributor in Canada are provably built as R's and thus must be 660mm AND have a minimum 457mm barrel.

IANAL, just a student so this isn't legal advice and there may be other "determinations" that are required for accurate analysis which I didn't include; but this seems to be the gist and the only way to deregister THESE particular ones. So this reading is only worth what you paid me for it, Ergo nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by MACH View Post
    “ Firearms adapted from a rifle or shotgun, whether by sawing, cutting or any other alteration, and that, as so adapted are:
    less than 660 mm in length
    660 mm or greater in length and has a barrel less than 457 mm in length"

Unfortunately According the regulation, this is consistent. Now if the CMR30 was initially BUILT as a 660mm NR (which I believe there is no proof the others weren't, regardless I am not saying they are okay or not, just extending benefit of the doubt), Then it would be a-okay. Unfortunately the ones at the distributor in Canada are provably built as R's and thus must be 660mm AND have a minimum 457mm barrel.

IANAL, just a student so this isn't legal advice and there may be other "determinations" that are required for accurate analysis which I didn't include; but this seems to be the gist and the only way to deregister THESE particular ones. So this reading is only worth what you paid me for it, Ergo nothing.

Sorry mate, incorrect as far as needing a min barrel length. The only reason we made the barrel longer was to add to the OAL to meet the 660mm requirement. Weirdly it is now 666mm OAL ....lol. The rifle is a rimfire and still has no legal requirement to have a barrel of any certain length.

Don't feel bad for not understanding these details. Like I posted before, it isn't easy to understand and half the time it makes so little sense that rational people like you and I struggle to comprehend the absurd 'determinations' of the SFSS. All they have are opinions that somehow don't need an elected official to turn into defacto law. Don't get me started on that subject !
    Cheers,
    Leigh
    Dlask Arms Corp.
    www.dlaskarms.com

CGN Ultra frequent flyer bfiles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlask Arms View Post
    Morning guys. So, to answer the GSG-16 vs. CMR-30 stock pinning question. The GSG-16 is already non-restricted and therefore we simply swapped barrels and modified the 'stock' to maintain minimum OAL. There was no change of status needed. However. To change the status of a Restricted firearms the firearm cannot have been modified by reducing cutting, sawing blah blah to the rear portion of the gun. There is NO mention of swapping barrels to make it a longer OAL. We originally tried to come up with something more simple and user friendly to install :

Name:  block.jpg
Views: 1429
Size:  80.4 KB

We made this nifty little block that screws between a slot under the Picatinny rail on the top which limits the stock movement. Once black Loctite has been applied this thing would need to be machined out to remove it. We asked the RCMP Lab if this was cool and were told flat out 'No', because of the rule I mentioned above, and that ended that idea. This kind of had us scratching our heads because this was exactly the same method of making the rifle N/R as what another company had done which is when were told "Why do you think they aren't bring more in if it was kosher with the RCMP ?" There is currently NOT an FRT number for a non-restricted CMR-30. I did however send the a Verification Report yesterday informing them of what we did to this rifle, along with the barrel length and OAL dimensions so hopefully a child entry will be forthcoming soon.

Taking a new approach we decided to make a new, longer barrel and just leave the back of the rifle alone. This is the same thing we do to change the status on any Restricted firearm and is seen as an acceptable method per the RCMP. The B&T's, USC's, P-08 Lugers, all short barreled hand guns etc. use a longer barrel to change their status from P to R or from R to N/R. Will this method be 'interpreted' as not allowed in the future ? Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of the Lab.

I know that some of you have perused the regs, criminal code and firearms act etc. and you think that navigating the 'interpretations' of the SFSS Lab is a breeze. 'Hey Dlask, why don't you just do this or that.....?' Seems easy, right ?

No, no it's not. Regardless of how smart you think you are or how many threads you've read on CGN it is NEVER that easy. This is why the general non-shooting public seldom, if ever, understand our frustration as a community. When you try to explain the inconsistencies and irregularities all brought on by vague rules, if you can call them that, and the ever changing 'interpretations' by the SFSS they just go glassy eyed and think you're making it all up as a gun toting crazy arse redneck. "There's NO way that's how it is, it makes NO sense !" they say. But, they're 100% wrong because the rules we have to follow are that messed up. And if our old friend JT gets re-elected in the next election it's going to get so much worse...

I digress, sorry.

So for those of you that say we are employing a 'sales tactic' or whatever, no we are not. These are the ridiculous rules made for us, the common serf, living in an RCMP / Libtard controlled gun world and we are forced to comply whether we have a common sense argument against them or not.

We cannot make a longer hand guard, sorry Mr. Files, simply because the body of the gun is an extrusion and we would need to sink serious dough into getting dies made to have our own extrusion to play with. Pretty sure Kel Tec isn't going to sell us some of theirs although since we are friendly with the official Canadian distributor I suppose I could ask....
    No worries!!!!

In sure a barrel swap will be all we need in the eyes of the RCMP (hopefully) and if that is the case, ill be buying a complete converted rifle from you guys asap
    CSSA CCFR PROUD MEMBER
    "Sleep in bliss Pops"!!!!!!

CGN Regular
    An ETA of when you can ship these?