Thread: How do I get this barrel nut out?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Gatehouse's Avatar

How do I get this barrel nut out?

Bought a Coronus handguard and the TNA crow wrench. I’ve taken out the 3 screws on the handguard but the barrel nut is firmly inside it and won’t come out. Does it pull out? Looks like it’s threaded in maybe? What am
    I missing here ?

Edit- I screwed the whole thing into the receiver then tugged it out. Weird, but I get it now.
    375 Ruger is the NEW KING of the .375's. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer phillyblt's Avatar
    CORONUS...was gonna say try with a mask...I know not funny
    Don't miss... I won't...

Business Member True North Arms Corp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post

Edit- I screwed the whole thing into the receiver then tugged it out. Weird, but I get it now.
    yep that's the ticket
    True North Arms Corp.
    Website truenortharms.com
    Email info@truenortharms.com
    Instagram truenortharms

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Gatehouse's Avatar
    TNA saw this post and called me at home to make sure I figured it out. Great service.
    375 Ruger is the NEW KING of the .375's. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyblt View Post
    CORONUS...was gonna say try with a mask...I know not funny

I did grind haha
    The fact is,you cant even argue and show them fact and common sence with liberals or left winger's,they tend to be way too violent and dictatorship to understand anything outside their view ...

I bought a PSA barreled 10.5 upper earlier this year with a front sight post on the barrel and wanted to swap the upper for an A2 to have a decent handle + iron sights built in. Problem is, that barrel nut is torqued way over 100 ft-lbs. When I say way over or ask for help at admission essay help, I was able to steadily hit 100 with just my static pulling using a long torque wrench (yes I know, don’t use one when removing nuts) and the barrel nut was going nowhere. Then I switched to a standard socket wrench and bounced it using my weight. It’s probably approaching 200 ft lbs of stuck. I had fired maybe 1 mag through it and it’s only 6 months old kept climate controlled so there should be no corrosion etc in the threads. Even if they didn’t use antiseize on the barrel nut threads, it should not be this tight. I’ve been using a magpul barrel wrench and attempting to keep the upper in a vise using a magpul bevblock. I’m already worried something has bent from this way out of spec nonsense. I also tried to heat the barrel nut in case some genius decided red locktite was the same thing as antiseize but no dice.
    Last edited by garysmith2143; 06-29-2022 at 10:53 AM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer DaveMachine's Avatar
    A few years ago I did a handguard swap on my CC SA15.7- same ridiculously tight barrel but. In the end, I made a 'relief cut' in the nut (without going through) to get it off. Not really sure how or why they get on there so tight from the factory.

Quote Originally Posted by garysmith2143 View Post
    I bought a PSA barreled 10.5 upper earlier this year with a front sight post on the barrel and wanted to swap the upper for an A2 to have a decent handle + iron sights built in. Problem is, that barrel nut is torqued way over 100 ft-lbs. When I say way over, I was able to steadily hit 100 with just my static pulling using a long torque wrench (yes I know, don’t use one when removing nuts) and the barrel nut was going nowhere. Then I switched to a standard socket wrench and bounced it using my weight. It’s probably approaching 200 ft lbs of stuck. I had fired maybe 1 mag through it and it’s only 6 months old kept climate controlled so there should be no corrosion etc in the threads. Even if they didn’t use antiseize on the barrel nut threads, it should not be this tight. I’ve been using a magpul barrel wrench and attempting to keep the upper in a vise using a magpul bevblock. I’m already worried something has bent from this way out of spec nonsense. I also tried to heat the barrel nut in case some genius decided red locktite was the same thing as antiseize but no dice.
    Sounds like some loctite was accidentally spilled on there lol
    Welcome to the new normal

Was gonna say thread her on and pop her off
    Last edited by derek2007; 06-28-2022 at 10:50 PM.
    ***Terms of all sales***
    -"I'll take it" with payment trumps all dialogue
    - Insurance is Buyers responsibly, so please request

view photos ask your wife BEFORE making offers