Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Barnard Action - SMS

Business Member

New Barnard Action - SMS

We have the new Barnard SMS actions which have the Rem 700 SA Footprint. The S actions have a .25" longer tenon than the 700 or SMS.
    They are repeaters with ejectors and .308Win(6.5 Creedmoor) and so on, bolt face.

Made of the best material, 4340 chrome moly, and with 3 locking lugs, they are worth considering for your PRS rifle. They have Rem 700 trigger hangers and 17 and 25 MOA scope rails are in stock.

Steven is just entering these into inventory, so info will be on site today.

Regards,.

Peter
    http://www.hirschprecision.com/

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    saw them on your website, they look really nice

speaking from experience the barnard s on my Robertson stocked 222 is benchrest accurate

the barnard actions are very well made and I know one of the owners personally, nice guy

once the word gets out these will be great sellers

not as popular as the flavour of the month actions in prs

but then again, these actions are not chosen LIKE SOME PRS ACTIONS CAUSE THOSE DEALERS MAKE A HUGE MARKUP

if you want a great robust , simple action that JUST WORKS

buy a barnard, well made, well priced and one of the very best dealers in Canada to buy from

they are as good as any custom action for general use

some actions like BAT might be better for 1000 yard benchrest but overall you cannot go wrong with a barnard

and now that they are a direct drop in for a 700 footprint stock, even better

good luck with sales this product is a winner
    Life is too short.

Business Member
    Thanks Jefferson. We just sold 2 P actions to a TR shooter who practices 1 hour everyday, 7 days a week. Also 2 of Canada's top FTR shooters use them as do many other TR and FClass shooters.

We'll assemble a PRS rifle and see how it works.

Regards,

Peter

Curious to see how it feeds out of an aics mag with the extra large bolt diameter. There was lots of complaints with 3 lug actions with .750" diameter bolts and this is even bigger if im not mistaken. Hopefully it works like the model P does i love my two f-open actions.

Business Member
    We are putting together on a chassis- we shall see.

Will be interesting to hear how it works when its all done.

I was over to Hirsch Precision a week ago or so looking and discussing about different actions with Steven when Peter walked in and suggested the Barnard SMS action. Up till then I never even considered Barnard for this build....but after reading a bit about this action and watching a short video on Whidden Gunworks website about it, I've decided to go this route. After talking with Peter and Steven again, looks like we're going to go with the SMS action, M24 contour barrel, MTD ACC chassis, Trigger Tech Diamond, and hopefully a Delta Stryker scope...chambered in 6.5x47L. I'll post pictures when finished.

Hey Beaverbank - Looking forward to seeing your new rifle in 6.5x47L. That is likely my next cartridge to build a competition rifle for, and I have heard great things about Barnard actions. Budget-wise I am a couple years away, so I am very interested in seeing what you come up with and learning more about the Barnard action. Photos please when ready!

A few months ago, I was talking with Peter Dobson from Hirsch Precision about building a PRS style rifle. I was contemplating which action to use when Pete suggested the Barnard SMS ( Rem700 footprint ) action. Barnard actions are amongst the best in the world. .. so here we go! We grabbed that SMS action, Bartlein barrel with a 7.7 " twist, MPA BA chassis, along with a rail from Barnard, trigger from Trigger Tech, a MDT recoil lug, and a Heathen muzzle brake from Insite Arms. Peter sent the whole kit up to JC's Custom Barrels to do the barrel work and we had the rifle back in a very short time. Once I received the rifle from Peter, I mounted a Delta Stryker 4.5-30 × 56 ffp scope ( which also came from Hirsch ) in a Nightforce unimount on the rifle and loaded some ammo for barrel break-in. The first group after the barrel break-in is pictured here with the red aiming dot. .. .34 " at 100 meters. Pretty happy guy! Today ( Sept 1st), I was at the range helping with grass cutting, and had the rifle with me. I had the last 5 rounds of the ammunition that I loaded for the break-in process and fired a 5 shoot group at 200 meters. .. .46 ". Very happy guy! Gotta say thanks to Donna, Peter, Stephen, Jennifer, Deb, and the rest of the gang at Hirsch Precision! Oh yeah... I should have mentioned that the rifle is chambered in 6.5x47 lapua.

Sorry I couldn't get the pictures to load.

CGN Regular
    Is the SMS action available in left hand?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast